Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #211

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Hey I get it! To deny someone access to an RV Park based upon the age of their RV is discrimination. It is particularly egregious since it is selective ( applies to some not all). So is a Pet rule...so is an Age rule (no children) (+55)....so is a Clothing rule .... So is a No Guns rule.... so is a ClassA only rule...so is a No Outside Smoking rule.... In fact CG's have a lot of discriminatory "selective" rules.

I feel your pain...I'm a pet owner.

So......your money... your skin in the game....your CG.

Are you or are you not going to establish standards & rules (discriminate) in YOUR CG against RV's on the basis of age, physical appearance or structural integrity?

Let's assume you are...OK? Let's also assume you will NOT apply your rules selectively (they will apply to everyone)......OK?

I'm curious... how will you develop & implement your discriminatory rules for RV standards in your CG?

1) Will they be objective ...,everyone, regardless of the age of their RV, will be required to submit a photo prior to acceptance into your CG.

2) Will you be the ONLY judge of acceptability or will you have a committee?

3) Will you publish your rules and standards of acceptability or will you judge every RV upon their arrival at the gate.

4) OR will your rules ( discrimination) be subjective? You or your committee will just decide on a unit by unit basis depending on your "gut" feel.

Again... This is just in the spirit of discussion, not a challenge to you as a person or your integrity. BTW....The most offensive guy where we are currently camped is the guy in a "mint" Prevost with an "loud" outdoor entertainment center. Him...I do not like.

In fact, in MY CG, I would discriminate against anyone with an outdoor entertainment center. Since these things are relatively new (within the last 10yrs), I would require that any RV produced after the advent of the flat screen TV would have to submit a photo proving that they did not have an outside EC.
Sorry, dont wanna answer the 1-4 questions, but, I DO agree with the rest of your post
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #212

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Dude, it's clear that you have a cross to burn here. Has your rig been refused by a campground?

You are entitled to your opinion, however what you see as discrimination the majority of posters see as rules set by a private establishment.

Again you don't get to change the accepted definition of a word to suit your feelings. You don't get to make the rules unless you are the owner and it's your money that's at risk, if you make the wrong rules.

Um... ok..

dis·crim·i·na·tion

   [dih-skrim-uh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun 1. an act or instance of discriminating.

2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

3. the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.

4. Archaic . something that serves to differentiate.

--------------------------------

Basing the picture rule on RVs older than 10 yrs is 'discrimination based on a group, class, or category'..

YOU quit trying to redefine the meaning of the word.. No chill pills required.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #213

National RV Owners Club
Here in the good old USA we are supposed to be born equal with equal opportunities. Because of the equal opportunity part we don't have to stay socially or financially equal as we go through life. To force everyone to be totally equal throughout their lives would defeat the basic premise of a democracy.
I'm OK with these kinds of rules, they give us motivation and a reason to be what we want to be, either way. You don't have to aspire to one of these parks but you should have that choice.
I have met people I aspire to be like, and people I aspire NOT to be like, if that's discrimination then I'm a discriminator.
Dick
Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #214

Thor Owners Club
Who's got two thumbs and keeps his rig clean? This guy!

If a campground asked me for a photo of my 12 year old RV I would proudly show them this. I am ready for anyone to check my RV's exterior because I take pride in maintaining my rig. In this photo I just got new tires all around from Firestone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-27_15-09-29_852.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	24444  
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #215

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Um... ok..

dis·crim·i·na·tion

   [dih-skrim-uh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun 1. an act or instance of discriminating.

2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

3. the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.

4. Archaic . something that serves to differentiate.

--------------------------------

Basing the picture rule on RVs older than 10 yrs is 'discrimination based on a group, class, or category'..

YOU quit trying to redefine the meaning of the word.. No chill pills required.
Using the dictionary.com definition above you just provided the argument against your argument.

The campground, by asking for a picture, is not discriminating against , a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs. Thay are making a decision to allow or not allow the RV based on it's individual merit.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #216

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that the wife and I must be going about it all wrong. If we see or hear of a place that interests us we stop and check it out. We go so far as to get out of the car and walk around with the brochure of the place and circle what we like and 'x' what we don't like. If it doesn't meet our needs we move on, if it does we stay. If we stay we get a detailed look at what works good for our rig and note it in the brochure, later to be filed away in our vacation folder at home, for future reference. Must be doing it all wrong again.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #217

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Using the dictionary.com definition above you just provided the argument against your argument.

The campground, by asking for a picture, is not discriminating against , a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs. Thay are making a decision to allow or not allow the RV based on it's individual merit.

So wait, 10 yr old RVs is not a 'group'?? Really? Arbitrarily grouping all 10+ yr RVs into a group, is NOT grouping??? Classifying all 10+ yr RVs as 'suspect' and needing 'verification' is NOT classifying?

(moderator edit)
Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #218

I can't believe I just read all 217 posts about nothing. I feel so stupid...
Two groups that can't seem to agree on the definition of a word that has two
definitions. You people crack me up.
Obviously the campground can make the rules and all you can do is whine.
All this quibbling and nothing will come of it, not one campground will change
their policy. Because they have every right to have that policy, whether all of
you self-righteous people like it or not.
Call it discrimination or whatever you like, it won't change a thing, so you
might as well give up now, before you fall off of your soapbox and get hurt.
So don't just whine about it, do something about it. Call the campground
that has a 10 year rule and tell them you will never stay there until they
change the rule. Let your wallet speak.
Of course, they won't care or change the rule, but you will feel better...
That's my opinion and yours doesn't matter much to me.....

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #219

Monaco Owners Club
It's been real entertaining, but the horse is dead and the movie is over, time to exit.

Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. - Mark Twain.

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. - Proverbs 26:4

Fool - an ardent enthusiast who cannot resist an opportunity to indulge an enthusiasm (usually preceded by a present participle)
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #220

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
A m e n .
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #221

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
So wait, 10 yr old RVs is not a 'group'?? Really? Arbitrarily grouping all 10+ yr RVs into a group, is NOT grouping??? Classifying all 10+ yr RVs as 'suspect' and needing 'verification' is NOT classifying?

I give up. The education system has obviously let you down..
Ouch!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #222

Monaco Owners Club
The campground is a KOA, the request was made AFTER I had registered and paid for the reservation, the CG was full of tent campers, Type A-C, older to brand new. I drove up in a 2012 Toyota FJ TT (brand new), I was dressed in new clothes (Jeans and a nice blouse, new shoes (not flip flops)), my husband has a business haircut and was dressed in golf shirt, chino shorts (It is summer in Florida) and Mephisto Sandals (NOT cheap). Not that any of that should matter, but apparently to some folks it does.

It is their policy to request a picture or inspect all 10+ yo coaches. I didn't ask their reasoning. It could be aesthetics or safety/health concerns, or maybe profiling of the owner. I don't know their reasoning behind this reg.

I sent the pix, we were nicely approved, however, we had not camped in many years and I was VERY surprised. This isn't a Class A only CG/Resort/Park. It's just a conveniently located park for us and it was clean, the people were extremely nice and friendly.

It is disconcerting in Florida, because when all the snowbirds get down here, you can barely find a place to park your coach. My daughter and family own an older Class C that is in very good shape. Where will they be able to park when they come to visit? The HOA won't let them park on the street for a weekend. Do they have to go to Disney every time? (they allow everyone)

For campers there is so much more to this than just the definition of a word or the rights of a private business person. My concern is: Will the people who own older coaches eventually end up pushed out of camping?

Anyway, next time I'll know to ask the age question and make my decision accordingly.

Thanks for all the input, it's been a real eye opener to say the least.......ya'll be safe!
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #223
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnotes View Post

For campers there is so much more to this than just the definition of a word or the rights of a private business person. My concern is: Will the people who own older coaches eventually end up pushed out of camping?
IMO the answer is, not only no... but heck no. This entire 10 year discussion is an interesting exercise and discussion but I believe it applies to a very small percentage of parks and I don't see that percentage growing very rapidly.

And FWIW, I believe that any park with restrictions like this MUST inform anyone making a reservation that they have these criteria. To wait for a guest to arrive before informing them is completely unacceptable.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #224

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
It's been real entertaining, but the horse is dead and the movie is over, time to exit.

Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. - Mark Twain.

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. - Proverbs 26:4

Fool - an ardent enthusiast who cannot resist an opportunity to indulge an enthusiasm (usually preceded by a present participle)
I think this is a little too personal an attack- whether you agree with the varying opinions or not, its cheap.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote