Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
the 751's also fit the Gilbarco pumps

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #16

Three weeks ago, there were several break ins at our storage area. They used the infamous CH751 key to get in the storage lockers of my 5er as well as several others. We know this because when they left they dropped a flashlight and a CH751 key was found with no key fob by the flashlight. No damage done, just unlocked and helped themselves.

There have been many debates on changing the locks. I'm with the no change opinion. In fact, I considered changing the locks to just the twist cams requiring no key. Easier for me and easier for the thieves. At least they won't need to do any damage and every time I want something from the basement lockers, I have to remember to grab the key.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #17

Did they pry open any that they couldn't get into with the key? I've heard your argument and it does have merit. Opening with a key is seconds, prying something open is time consuming so I'm wondering how much effort they were willing to invest, or if they just hit those that were quick and easy?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
It may help or it may not.

The issue is: It will not hurt anything to change them out. Quick easy and cheap.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Did they pry open any that they couldn't get into with the key? I've heard your argument and it does have merit. Opening with a key is seconds, prying something open is time consuming so I'm wondering how much effort they were willing to invest, or if they just hit those that were quick and easy?
They just went on down the line picking the newest looking rv's to open. I did not hear of any damage.

Funny thing, the manager at the storage area said, and this is a big area full of megabuck busses, 5er's, tt's and boats, that he found the key by the flashlight and figured it didn't mean anything. He thought someone just lost it and it wasn't related. I had him pick an rv at random, and I used the key to unlock their basement. I did not open it and made sure it was relocked. Went over to mine and unlocked it as well. He was amazed. I told him to google CH751. It was used in file cabinets and office desks for many years as well.

Anyhow, I would imagine a poll would show near 50/50 on changing the locks.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #20

About 3 weeks ago I was getting out of my pickup at the RV and one of the neighbors walked over and told me he was locked out otf his RV and asked if I knew of a locksmith that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg. I asked him
If he had a trapdoor into his storage like I did and he said yes. I kind of smiled and said, let's go see what we can do. Walked over to the RV inserted my key and opened his storage door. He had an 8 year old daughter who we scooted into the storage and up through the trap door to open his front door. We got to talking and both agreed that it is better to have the locks all 751 keys to prevent a thief from damaging the trailer and allow future access when (not if) we locked ourselves out again. As I started to walk back to my trailer j looked at him and said, hmm, I wonder, walked to his front door and sure enough my trailer main door key locked and unlocked his. Luckily for the most part the folks who live or play the RV lifestyle are honest folk who respect others! In over 40 years I have never lost a thing!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #21

This doesn't have anything to do with a 751 key. We had burglars break out a truck window, then tore off a basement door on our fifthwheel. They also bent the trailer entrance door and defeated the deadbolt. This took place in our driveway. Took almost 2K to fix the damage. The best thing, nothing was taken. After that run in, I never lock our motorhome. If they stole both tv's and the microwave, it wouldn't add up to 2 grand but would cost thousands to fix the damage.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Because everyone has CH751 keys in the campground and when I need a key I just ask my neighbor to use their key.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Regarding the CH751 lock, I can open it with an "echo" fastener. An echo fastener is a two hole prong that is used for stacking paper on neatley, then it fold over to keep it all in place. No need for a key. As stated, just about any screwdriver will pop any MH basement door lock.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote