Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedreamer View Post
So I am looking to possibly buy a Champion generator for the short term, but I'm not sure if it would be OK for running the TV or any other electronics. We have a 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL. I found a pretty good deal on a 4750 wt peak / 3800 wt. run, remote start unit (It's Cabela's branded) for $400 new. will probably only have to use it for this coming summer to run at least one 15k AC unit for some boondocking etc. Than plan on adding Solar, on-board genny unit, inverter, battery banks etc.
SO Im told the Champion units have less than 5%THD, is that a good thing ? will it do OK?

Yes. The "construction" style of generator puts out either a square wave or modified sine wave which many electronics do not like. Get the inverter style and verify that it puts out a pure sine wave.
CapnJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
...But we cannot afford one "right now"... I have a LOUD B&S 4K,,, and a LOUD Champion 7.5K.... I WILL run which ever I take with our 5vr as a "emergency / last stand" only....
So basically ... rules prohibiting use of LOUD generators don't matter as far as you're concerned because one that conforms to the rules doesn't fit into your budget. How about campsite registration or "self serve" firewood where payment is on the honor system ... are those "optional" as well depending on your budget? I'm sorry, but I'm not very supportive of a "the rules don't apply to me because the it's not in my budget" mindset.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #31

Look at the specifications and pricing for a Boliy Pro3600SI invertor series, and compare them to all other gensets specs (including Champion-also on their website). I bought a Boliy in 2008, it's still running fine, although I did replace the carb ($39) once because I forgot to use Stabil in the gas during storage, and this rotten gas corroded the carb so bad it required replacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
X2 on getting an inverter type generator.

I am currently building a house and use a generator to run the well pump. It is not the inverter type and relies on the throttle control to maintain ~120 volt with 60 hz power. I monitored the voltage and frequencey when I first started using and it fluctuated quite a bit, voltage +/-4 volts and frequency was +/- 2 hz. The well pump isn't as sensitive to these fluctuations but newer electronics may not be as forgiving.
Those fluctuations are within the specifications for 120VAC voltage, which is + or - 10%.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
So basically ... rules prohibiting use of LOUD generators don't matter as far as you're concerned because one that conforms to the rules doesn't fit into your budget. How about campsite registration or "self serve" firewood where payment is on the honor system ... are those "optional" as well depending on your budget? I'm sorry, but I'm not very supportive of a "the rules don't apply to me because the it's not in my budget" mindset.
How about you read my post..... I said "IN AN EMERGENCY" .... such as a power outage.... Other than that,,,, we camp with full hookups... If you are freezing,,, and we are warm, (but maybe a little loud) , tough. We are VERY aware of other campers... We ALWAYS leave our site cleaner than we found it. A couple years ago our boy (Great Dane) had the poops, and before I got him to the dog park he pooped in a un-occupied site. I went back, cleaned it up, including a bleach spray cleaner and a roll of paper towels . I would AND DO clean it up at the dog park also. SO,,, sir,, you are mistaken in my post.....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
How about you read my post..... I said "IN AN EMERGENCY" .... such as a power outage.... Other than that,,,, we camp with full hookups... If you are freezing,,, and we are warm, (but maybe a little loud) , tough. We are VERY aware of other campers... We ALWAYS leave our site cleaner than we found it. A couple years ago our boy (Great Dane) had the poops, and before I got him to the dog park he pooped in a un-occupied site. I went back, cleaned it up, including a bleach spray cleaner and a roll of paper towels . I would AND DO clean it up at the dog park also. SO,,, sir,, you are mistaken in my post.....
Monkey
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Look at the specifications and pricing for a Boliy Pro3600SI invertor series, and compare them to all other gensets specs (including Champion-also on their website). I bought a Boliy in 2008, it's still running fine, although I did replace the carb ($39) once because I forgot to use Stabil in the gas during storage, and this rotten gas corroded the carb so bad it required replacing.
+1 on the Boliy Pro3600SI -- it's basically a Yamaha knockoff and performs well.
CapnJustice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator