Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 01:07 AM   #1

Champion generators-will they hurt electronics or no?

So I am looking to possibly buy a Champion generator for the short term, but I'm not sure if it would be OK for running the TV or any other electronics. We have a 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL. I found a pretty good deal on a 4750 wt peak / 3800 wt. run, remote start unit (It's Cabela's branded) for $400 new. will probably only have to use it for this coming summer to run at least one 15k AC unit for some boondocking etc. Than plan on adding Solar, on-board genny unit, inverter, battery banks etc.
SO Im told the Champion units have less than 5%THD, is that a good thing ? will it do OK?

firedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 04:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

I have not heard of them doing any damage to electronics. As far as noise, dependability and longevity; that is another story.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Check this one out RV ready ....

Champion Power Equipment 3,500/4,000-Watt Gasoline Powered Recoil Start RV Ready Portable Generator-46596 - The Home Depot
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:31 AM   #4

I would suggest you buy an inverter style generator. Champion makes one in that watt range.

They are much quieter, at full load, then what your looking at, and when not at full load, The engine slows down, to quiet down more and save fuel.

Even your distant neighbors will thank you.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on getting an inverter type generator.

I am currently building a house and use a generator to run the well pump. It is not the inverter type and relies on the throttle control to maintain ~120 volt with 60 hz power. I monitored the voltage and frequencey when I first started using and it fluctuated quite a bit, voltage +/-4 volts and frequency was +/- 2 hz. The well pump isn't as sensitive to these fluctuations but newer electronics may not be as forgiving.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #6

I bought a Champion 3400 watt inverter generator with the remote start. It runs the 15K A/C unit just fine. It's also relatively quiet compared to the construction type generators. The inverter generators are more expensive than the open frame generators but I think they are more appropriate for RV use in campgrounds. I gave $849 for mine several months ago.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
I bought a Champion 3400 watt inverter generator with the remote start. It runs the 15K A/C unit just fine. It's also relatively quiet compared to the construction type generators. The inverter generators are more expensive than the open frame generators but I think they are more appropriate for RV use in campgrounds. I gave $849 for mine several months ago.
I have the same unit, gets used every weekend from April-Sep at a motocross track. Had an issue with it going into overload mode when I first got it, called Champion and they had a new board to me in a few days Very happy with the unit and the folks next to me are happy about the lack of noise..Runs air and microwave but not at the same time. Do yourself and your neighbors a solid and get the invertor, they hold value so you should be able to sell it if you go solar.
simply40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I hate it when some dude in a campground or even out in the woods is running his construction type generator. If that is all you can afford ok, but seriously those are so annoying when you want to just hang out at camp. Don't be "that guy," ok rant over.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:28 AM   #9

This fall, in a CG on the Blue Ridge, there was a $40,000 5er, pulled by a $40,000 pickup.

He would start the $400 generator and take off in his truck. I guess he couldn't stand the noise either.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I were there, I don't think it would be running when he got back.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Champion 4000 that I use with my camping trailer. I used to have a Honda 1800. The Champion is far quieter than the Honda was. I have ran all kinds of appliances and TV with no problems. It is much more quiet than the construction generators I have seen.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
If I were there, I don't think it would be running when he got back.
Thought of that, but you can't cure stupid and rude actions.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Over the holidays I purchased a Sportsman 4000 watt dual fuel (Gas or LP) generator at Home Depot for just under $400. I started by looking at the Champion you are looking at but then saw the dual fuel one for a bit less and bought it. It is quiet and would work well I think for camping also. It has 6 outlets and a dedicated 30 amp RV plug also. For $30 I bought a wheel kit and with some mod of brackets it's now very portable...
Old 02-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #14

This is from the National Park Service website.

AUDIO DISTURBANCES
• Operating motorized equipment or machinery such as an electric generating plant, motor vehicle, motorized toy, musical instrument, or an audio device such as a radio or stereo, in a manner that exceeds a noise level of 60 decibels at 50 feet or, if below that level, makes noise which is unreasonable for the time and place, or impact on others is prohibited.

The $400 generators are not allowed.

Tags
generator