Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad View Post
Sorry ti hijack but how much longer could my batteries last if I switched to led's? I have about a dozen (from memory since she's in storage) I'm replacing my batteries in the spring and need to get as many hours from them as possible. We're going to Yellowstone in july and several campsites have a no generator policy.
Generally it is accepted that you will get about 400% better efficiancy with LED's over incandescent or halogen, depending on what you are replacing. Most LED's are brighter and not as yellow as halogens or fluorescents and about the same as standard incandescent.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
go on ebay an bring up 12v led lights hundreds of choices.the ones with 1156 will work with your 1141 and average $5.00 ec. free shipping did all mine love them.don't have to turn out lights all the time dw leave .on!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
how much longer could my batteries last if I switched to led's?
Leds typically use about 1/10 the amperage of incandescent lights of similar output. Sometimes even less. But what percentage of your 12v power consumption is the lighting? The water pump uses very little and the fridge a modest amount, but do you have an inverter to power tv or computer? That would dwarf any savings on lighting.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Leds typically use about 1/10 the amperage of incandescent lights of similar output. Sometimes even less. But what percentage of your 12v power consumption is the lighting? The water pump uses very little and the fridge a modest amount, but do you have an inverter to power tv or computer? That would dwarf any savings on lighting.
Thanks for the replies. when boondocking we won't run the TV or a computer at all. We prefer to sit by the campfire and have a few smores, then maybe read with the kids before bed. Getting 4-10x more battery use by switching to LED's makes the reading part easier to do with less concern.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
@teera travel, I did what you suggested about checking ebay. There were way to may for me to look at in this lifetime anyway. Apparently I did not see the place where you got yours because most of what I saw were pretty expensive. I intend to do a test run, when I locate what I want, and only change the bedroom lights. If we like them, then change over the others. I think we may try the "warm" white.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #20

Look in boondocking section. LED I like.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
John,

If you have fixtures with a relatively flat surface, I would look at the ZipLED's at PrudentRVer.com. They point all of the light down, not into the reflector. They are peel and stick, and can be mounted to flat surfaces. You can put in multiples depending on the space you have available. I have four of the ZL3's in a bathroom light fixture, and 6 in the scare lights. They have a bayonet base you plug them into. They have a nice white light, not bluish. Beats the light output of the weak 1141 bulbs. Better light with no heat and lower amp draws as well.

zipLED Configurable Bulb Replacements in RV and Boat Interiors

When shopping for LED's, pay attention to the lumen ratings and the light temperature rating. A PPL chart shows the 1141 rated at 104 lumens.

Automotive LED Bulbs by Starlights Inc. - PPL Motor Homes
I think I have you beat on the Scare Light.. meet L E D Z I L L A

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #22

I brought my led lights at superbrightleds.com the price is from
$5 to 20 all depends on what you need or want they have good service.
I also replaced some light fixtures with led fixtures and put led lights
in fixtures I bought that did not have led lights I don't like the rv fixtures that are in every rv I have the hall and bedroom left and they will all be
gone.
the puck lights in the ceiling are not led but looking for leds to replace bulbs, the the spot light fixture has led on left side and incandescent on
right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290093.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	19222   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090033.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	19223  

Name:	PC200030.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	19224   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC200029.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	19225  

Name:	PC200037.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	19226  
Old 04-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #23

I received the LED lights yesterday that I ordered on ebay to replace my 1141's. They arrived well packaged via airmail from China and got here a lot faster than I imagined - 10 days.

They have an adapter that plugs in where the old bulb was with a wire sticking out that connects to the LED. I test fired one last night on a spare light I had laying around the house. It works great! I plan to install them this weekend and will try to get some pictures as I go. OH - and they were only $4.00 each incl shipping!