Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Change over to LED bulbs

I am looking at possible change out to LED bulbs. My current ceiling lights are typical dual light bulbs with the number 1141 12V21CP with standard bayonet ends. In looking at SuperbrightLeds.com all I can find are marked 1142 leds with bayonet ends . What bulb would be best for the ceiling application as far as brightness and light color and which will work in the fixtures I now have. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Many (most but not all) LED's are blue to white (not warm light) and similar to the old florescent office lights in color output. If you like the light color of your current bulbs light then try to get bulbs in the 2700-3200 kelvin range. I would just buy a few samples before committing to a large purchase to make certain you like them. After all you'll have them a very long time.

2007 Allegro Bus 42 QRP, 400 ISL
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Here are some other places that you may want to look for LEDs. We did buy some replacements for some of the ThinLites from MarineBeam and they are very bright.

Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures
www.superlumination.com Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs
usLEDsupply - Your source for High Tech RGB color LED lights, DMX controllers, and LED lighting supplies at wholesale prices.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
Many (most but not all) LED's are blue to white (not warm light) and similar to the old florescent office lights in color output.
I would have agreed with this a year ago, but these days there are plenty of "warm" LED lights.

We had a Thinlite 12" fixture with a failed ballast and replaced the bulbs with these and have been very pleased: Ming Natural White 12" 300L RV LED Tube for Fluorescent Lights
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

If you have fixtures with a relatively flat surface, I would look at the ZipLED's at PrudentRVer.com. They point all of the light down, not into the reflector. They are peel and stick, and can be mounted to flat surfaces. You can put in multiples depending on the space you have available. I have four of the ZL3's in a bathroom light fixture, and 6 in the scare lights. They have a bayonet base you plug them into. They have a nice white light, not bluish. Beats the light output of the weak 1141 bulbs. Better light with no heat and lower amp draws as well.

zipLED Configurable Bulb Replacements in RV and Boat Interiors

When shopping for LED's, pay attention to the lumen ratings and the light temperature rating. A PPL chart shows the 1141 rated at 104 lumens.

Automotive LED Bulbs by Starlights Inc. - PPL Motor Homes
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the help and the new places to look for the lights. I will combine this info with what I have been previously given and hopefully make the right choice for the lights. Again, thanks.
John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #7

The February issue of Motorhome magazine has a pretty good article on LED lights. It starts on page 60.
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replced my 1141 bulbs with these:
Star Light Revolution LED 300 White

They are pricey but I am very satisfied with the light they put out. I tried some others but they did not work due to polarity problems. I didn't want to rewire my fixtures and these are not polarity sensitive.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've tried to switch over to LED bulbs, my wife hates the color temp of most of them so I haven't been successful yet. Still looking though so keep the links coming!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #10
Gulf Streamers Club
We used these in ours and think they look and work great, a lot pricey, but we have tried many and in our opinion these were the best.

Warm White LED Upgrade Kits for Command Interior Lights
Finally! LED's that are truly bright enough to replace bulbs and the perfect warm white color similar to incandescent bulbs. Each of these boards contain 30 extremely bright warm white LED's delivering 510 Lumens. The light output is 42% brighter than the standard 921 bulbs used in our interior lights. Electrical draw is reduced from 1.4 amps per bulb to 0.47 amps per LED board. And each board runs 150 degrees cooler for increased comfort when camping. Simply unplug your old bulbs and plug in the new LED module. A new lens is included for best optical output.

These modules fit Command Electronics lights. They may not fit other brands.

This product was reviewed extensively on RV.NET. Click here to view that discussion.

Model No.DescriptionDimensionsRetail PriceK-900UPGOne 30 LED Plug in Module & lens for Omega 900 series lights
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
Get them here at a fraction of cost, got all mine here
Wholesale - 1156 102 smd 3528 Car Bulb Turn light Signal Lamp 12V White color best price | DHgate.com

FYI all led's are available in warm white, natural white and bright white. Just need to know where to get them. Got mine direct, more choices than stateside.
Search for LED's here, many threads on this.
♫ Happy Trails... to You ♪....., Until We Meet Again ♪..... ♫
justaroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RVledbulbs.com has 1141 style leds in several different lumen levels and both cool and warm white colors. You can look them over here:

Revolution Single Contact Bayonet RV LED Bulbs

There's a 15% discount available too. Just enter the coupon code 'forums' at checkout.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #13

Sorry ti hijack but how much longer could my batteries last if I switched to led's? I have about a dozen (from memory since she's in storage) I'm replacing my batteries in the spring and need to get as many hours from them as possible. We're going to Yellowstone in july and several campsites have a no generator policy.
Traveling whenever possible with DW, 3 kids and "Tate" the mut dog. 1999 Minnie Winnie 3F430V
Bondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
I put a set of these in our TT before last season. I used the superbrightleds with the slightly yellow color code on the website. On many of the bulbs there they have a blue, a white then the slightly warmer yellow. Choose the yellow. Those seem to me and more importantly the DW to have the correct color. I only ordered four and put them in the bedroom to test. Very good brightness and color.

As for energy savings. The original bulbs drew almost 3 amps per fixture. LEDs draw 0.2. That is huge in the morning when my solar starts to charge the batteries. We will replace all of the bulbs this off season. If you are trying to boondock you need to consider this. I took a dual approach: install solar for power and then conserve. With the solar system I installed, though, it isn't strictly necessary to conserve as much as we do. Old habit die hard though!

2012 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2008 Ford F250 6.4 Diesel
kellylipp is offline   Reply With Quote