Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #43

my manual states
5 MPG -20,000
6 MPG -30,000
7 MPG -40,000
(kms)
no where is a time stated
IMHO a better indicator then hours or miles and most certainly time.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For those that make a big deal out of what the manual says, I think there is a big difference between average motorhome use, and commercial use.

Most of us drive out coaches once a month, but whatever we do, very few of us drive all day long every day, and don't have a lot of idling time.
The manuals are directed more at the OTR trucks. So we need to adjust for our type of use.

Here is a oil report from my coach for those that are interested in what the report contains.

Regards,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAA_oil_report.png
Views:	103
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	132814  
Old 07-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #45

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oil is hydroscopic and the less you drive the more water is absorbed, good read here....

MOISTURE -- The Second Most Destructive Lubricant Contaminate, and Its Effects on Bearing Life
Old 07-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #46

Agree water is a problem - potentially .Park it fully warmed /hot , and only used it if it will be fully warmed again ,just like farm equipment which is parked for months .Its the acid concern that is old school and really how much water gets into a closed and shut down system? My oil pan is plastic, bearings are lead/alloy, cast iron bathed in oil is not going to corrode ,coolant passages are by far a bigger concern,and how often is coolant changed ?every 3000 miles?
Tractor and combines all over the planet do just fine parked for long periods,oil formulations account for this.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
For those that make a big deal out of what the manual says, I think there is a big difference between average motorhome use, and commercial use.

Most of us drive out coaches once a month, but whatever we do, very few of us drive all day long every day, and don't have a lot of idling time.
The manuals are directed more at the OTR trucks. So we need to adjust for our type of use.

Here is a oil report from my coach for those that are interested in what the report contains.

Regards,
Dan
These days a diesel engine manual will have a section for OTR use and a section for MH use, with directions for both. Same with the Allison trans, sections for both.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #48

It never ceases to amaze me how some people will spend 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars on a motor home, then cheap out on a few dollars worth of oil. And then condemn those of us who choose to properly maintain our engines according to the manufacturer's maintenance program as being wasteful and irresponsible. Wow.

Like the Fram guy used to say...pay me now or pay me later.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how some people will spend 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars on a motor home, then cheap out on a few dollars worth of oil. And then condemn those of us who choose to properly maintain our engines according to the manufacturer's maintenance program as being wasteful and irresponsible. Wow.

So true,
I will change my 52 Qt of oil and a filter, At least one a year or more if mileage requires it to be. Oil and filter is cheap compared to a engine failure !!!!
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Mine is changed on schedule.

But unlike RICH & Linda we are Poor & Broke.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Yeah, some of the new vehicles have oil change intervals out to 15,000 miles or 1 year so a 3000 mile oil change is a waste of money.
I really believe that the 3,000 miles that was quoted was for a gasoline engine. If I am not mistaken, I do not believe that there exists a recommendation from Cummins or CAT to change oil at 3K miles. Most folks will say that they'll change annually and not worry so much about the miles unless your doing over 15K per year. Even if you drove from the southeast of the USA to Alaska and back you would have only rolled over about 7500 miles.

I think if you're putting on 15K miles a year on an RV .... You're not living this lifestyle properly.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I really believe that the 3,000 miles that was quoted was for a gasoline engine. If I am not mistaken, I do not believe that there exists a recommendation from Cummins or CAT to change oil at 3K miles. Most folks will say that they'll change annually and not worry so much about the miles unless your doing over 15K per year. Even if you drove from the southeast of the USA to Alaska and back you would have only rolled over about 7500 miles.

I think if you're putting on 15K miles a year on an RV .... You're not living this lifestyle properly.
I don't remember anyone but Jiffy Lube saying you needed to change oil at 3000 miles gas or diesel engine.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:55 AM   #53

Many years ago the standard for changing oil was 3000 miles, but back then the quality of the oil was not even close to what it is now. Oils used to have a lot of paraffin (wax) in the oil and it would build up in the engine. That was also the time when if you got 70,000 miles on a car you had better dump it because it wasn't going to last much longer.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGC View Post
8.5 gallons, must be a BIG oil pan.
My C15 Acert holds 11 gallons including retarder....plus the gallon+ you never get out of the Oil Cooler.....
Old 07-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #55

Quote:

X2
Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
DriVer
What is the proper way to live the lifestyle?
Maybe it's you who is not living it properly?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote