Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
Changing out rear TV & brain freeze

I've removed the rear TV from our 2004 Phaeton 40RH. I'm going to replace it with a 26" LED flat screen. There's a pretty big space back there now that would be excellent for storage. Have any of folks done (or had done) an installation where the TV mount was hinged to provide access to the space behind it? I think the ideal way would be to hinge it from the top using gas assist shocks to hold it open and snap latches (invisible) to keep it closed. If hinged from the side, I would be afraid that it might open up and beat itself to death while underway.

All ideas, references, photos welcomed
Happy New Year! Jay

2004 Phaeton 40RH
Freightliner Chassis
330 Cat
2011 Honda CRV
Blue OX, SMI-AF1

2014 Keystone Bullet 22RBPR
2005 GMC Envoy Denali
johnnyringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Just did mine and trying to match stain. 27 inch Samsung. I used a piano hinge, (Home Depot or Hardware store) and heavy duty cabinet latches bought at Camping World.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear TV Install 1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	16703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Tv install 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	16704  

Del & Lori & Millie, (our miniature Aussie) 2007 Diplomat 40PDQ - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
we built a drawer system, another thread panel tv project started
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Another thought - I saw a bedroom TV that was mounted on the back of the cabinet door. When the door was open the TV would be in the proper position for viewing. When the door was closed and securely latched it was ready for the road. There was still lots of space in the cabinet with the door closed too.

havve a nice day - Darrel
2007 3912 KSDP w/350HP ISL Cummins
2003 Grand Cherokee toad w/M&G Brake
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
hardy1000's mod appears to be excellent; I really like it and perhaps you should consider it. Thanks to both of you, it gets me thinking about how I can do the same in my FW. When I bought it a few months ago, there was no TV in it, and the empty space is about the same as hardy1000's. I bought a 32" flat screen that just sits in the existing opening and I have to use a Velcro strap to hold it while traveling. I may just have to get out the woodworking tools and make a similar frame and storage area.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I cut our tv cabinet down, roughly in half. It protruded into the bedroom quite a bit and we like it much better now. You can see in the photo where the ceiling was "patched" to cover where the old tv used to be.

But to answer the question, yes, quite a few people use hinges or swing out arms so they can have access to the space behind the tv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom tv 26 (Medium).JPG
Views:	44
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	16745  
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
After building a rough mock up, I could see what I wanted to do just wouldn't work. I went to Sam's Club and found a pretty nice swing out mount. Still provides good access to the space. Pretty easy install. Just need to finish and tidy up the wiring and install a latch.

2014 Keystone Bullet 22RBPR
2005 GMC Envoy Denali
johnnyringo is offline   Reply With Quote