Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
First string I bought was warm white and I didn't like, reordered cool white and that was much better.
I originally bought warm white LEDs bur reordered cool white and like that much more.
I'm glad you brought this up because I am trying to decide which white to go with... I'm not doing the conversion because I keep burning out tubes, but hate the ambience of the low wattage fluorescent light. Since I haven't seen either, I am guessing the warm white is more like an incandescent light and the cool white is more like a bright fluorescent light. Is this a correct analogy?
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I'm glad you brought this up because I am trying to decide which white to go with... I'm not doing the conversion because I keep burning out tubes, but hate the ambience of the low wattage fluorescent light. Since I haven't seen either, I am guessing the warm white is more like an incandescent light and the cool white is more like a bright fluorescent light. Is this a correct analogy?
The warm white is the orange like glow and the cool white is the more blueish light.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LED Color numbers translated

I found this chart useful in determining the color of the LEDs. I ordered 5050K LEDs. I uploaded some pictures. I used 4 LED strips. I didn't use the manufactured connectors, I soldered #24 gauge wires to the strips and covered with heat shrink. Wiped the housing with alcohol before applying the strips. I did include one slightly out of focus pic of the fluorescent light before I upgraded to leds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3482_color-temperature-chart.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	55650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140115_140835.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	55652  

Name:	20140115_140907.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	55653   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140115_140917.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	55654  

Name:	20140115_140538.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	55655  

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh, I now have about a dozen florescent tubes that I'll let go for $2 each + shipping if anybody wants them.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lumens

I've done a number of these conversions. I use SM5050 rolls and generally place 2 rows of them for each tube in the fixture.

Like many I simply plugged them into the circuit. In a very short while they were too hot to touch. They are meant to run on a maximum of 12V, and my RV averages 13.7V. The hotter they got the more current they draw, more current = more heat. Thermal runaway. I solved the problem by installing inexpensive voltage regulators in each fixture. By inexpensive I mean just over $1 each.

I would never use 12V LEDs without a regulator.

I suggest that you take a look at all of the LED related threads on this forum before you rush into this. Part numbers and sources are there.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the advice Muddypaws. I did not realize I should use a voltage regulator. I just ordered 10 voltage regulators which I will be installing one on each light as soon as I can. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #21

Muddy Paws what mfg or brand and where did you source the 12v voltage regulators?
Thanks
spkwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
I replaced the florescent tubes at least a year ago and have not had a problem with the LEDs. When touching them they do not appear to generate heat. I used four strips is each fixture. One of the benefits to the LEDs is they come on immediately unlike the florescent bulbs.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Voltage regulator

I found this link in a previous thread.

5pcs LM2577 LM2577S DC to DC Adjustable Step Up Power Converter Module Arduino | eBay

They've gone up in price but $2 is still cheap. There are other 'Buck' converters for less, but they won't be adjustable.

I prefer to trim the voltage down to around 10V. Any lower and they start dimming. Any higher and they start getting warm, not enough to worry about at 12V but I've left them on for days at a time and only measured about 10F over ambient at 10V.

Or course the LEDs you buy may be a different manufacturer, batch, and specification. There appears to be a huge variance in parts direct from China. I have a feeling that the ones sold on eBay might be 'seconds'. The ones's I've used all have thermal problems at anything over an actual 12V. Bulbs, ropes, panels included. The only ones I really worry about are the ropes/rolls because they are such a PITA to change. But I'm going to have to do it anyway because the DW has decided she doesn't like 'cool white'.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh man I hope I didn't get the wrong ones. I got these step down regulators. . . . 10 Pcs DC DC LM2596 Step Down Adjustable Converter Power Supply MODULE1 3V 35V | eBay Muddypaws do you think they will work ok?. These work out to about $1.20 each since I ordered a lot of 10.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I found this link in a previous thread. 5pcs LM2577 LM2577S DC to DC Adjustable Step Up Power Converter Module Arduino | eBay They've gone up in price but $2 is still cheap. There are other 'Buck' converters for less, but they won't be adjustable. I prefer to trim the voltage down to around 10V. Any lower and they start dimming. Any higher and they start getting warm, not enough to worry about at 12V but I've left them on for days at a time and only measured about 10F over ambient at 10V. Or course the LEDs you buy may be a different manufacturer, batch, and specification. There appears to be a huge variance in parts direct from China. I have a feeling that the ones sold on eBay might be 'seconds'. The ones's I've used all have thermal problems at anything over an actual 12V. Bulbs, ropes, panels included. The only ones I really worry about are the ropes/rolls because they are such a PITA to change. But I'm going to have to do it anyway because the DW has decided she doesn't like 'cool white'.
Okay, makes a lot of sense to control the voltage. Now that I have looked at these, I have no problem with ordering, however, I have no idea how to "adjust them" and secondly, I don't see how or where the input or output side is. Positive wire only.......??
Old 02-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
Oh, I now have about a dozen florescent tubes that I'll let go for $2 each + shipping if anybody wants them.

If you're sending $2 with each one you can send them to me. If you're charging $2, that's about $4 too much
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good find

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
Oh man I hope I didn't get the wrong ones. I got these step down regulators. . . . 10 Pcs DC DC LM2596 Step Down Adjustable Converter Power Supply MODULE1 3V 35V | eBay Muddypaws do you think they will work ok?. These work out to about $1.20 each since I ordered a lot of 10.
Those will work just fine. The +/- in and out solder pads are clearly marked. Voltage adjustment is done with a very small blade screwdriver on the blue resistor.

Not likely that you'll need a heat sink on the regulators.

Good luck!