Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

Chaparral Lite slideout problem

We have a 2016 Chaparral Lite RLS 30 that we purchased new in April of 2016. It has three slides. The largest slide has a lot of weight on it. It has the refrigerator,cook stove,a pantry,tv and fireplace. The third time we used it the slide dipped down as it opened and tore a small hole in the flooring. I'm wondering if the slide is maybe not built strong enough to support all the weight. The floor of the slide separated from the slide frame. It was attached with lag bolts which pulled out of the plywood floor. I've talked to owners of Chaparral trailers that weren't lite models and none of them has had this problem. Now I'm wondering if lite means not strong enough. Has anyone else had a problem like this?
Cowtown Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm not familiar with your trailer, but it does sound like an engineering failure.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

I've always wondered what was left out of a trailer labeled as a 'lite'. Quality, perhaps?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #4

You are wondering if the slide is not built strong enough to support all the weight. It WAS attached with lag bolts which pulled out of the plywood floor.

No doubt you have a mess on your hands.

Repair it by overbuilding for carrying the weight.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our main slide did the same thing in our ORV(not a lite trailer).

Lag bolt(s) weren't attached correctly to the underlying floor frame studs, and backed out. When we moved the slide, it torn into the flooring and ripped it as it dropped down.

I repaired it by moving the slide all the way extended, and found 2 of the fasteners had nothing to bite into, they were too short! This might all the repair you need, unless you note more folks with the same trailer and issue.

ORV sent me some flooring material to repair the gouged vinyl overlay.

Good luck with yours!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, slide, slideout, slideout problem