Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Charging the house batteries

I[ moderator edit ] can't seem to get a question answered regarding my 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36R (F53 chassis) RV. My question is: Is the house battery supposed to charge when connected to shore power, or is the generator the only source of charging for house batteries?

I assumed I could charge the battery through shore power but so far I've only gotten a charge using a trickle charger directly on the battery or I start up the generator for 15min-30min every so often to top off the battery.

If the generator is the only source, has anyone wired up a permanent trickle charger to the shore power for this purpose? For example this would fit nicely in the battery bay: 12 Volt Deluxe Battery Maintainer and Float Charger

Appreciate the help!
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Batteries should charge when plugged in. Your 12 volt converter or converter/inverter does this.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #3

check into whether your charger may have a breaker
tripped that provides the power to the charger from
the shore power side - i cant imagine that any charger
would not provide power to charge while on shore...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick response. I'll look for a fuse or breaker. I've already replaced a few as it looks like they haven't been replaced since 2002
Old 04-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gigamanx,
For coach battery charging the 120 VAC via the shore or generator both must go to the converter. The converter charges the batteries. Check to see if there is 120 VAC to the converter. If yes, check to see if there is DC power out from the converter to the batteries. If no, the converter is suspect.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Check and re-fill batteries as needed with distilled water while you're at it.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

If your batteries charge from the generator and not the shore cord , someone moved some wires around.

It could be a previous owner used to plug the shore cord into an inverter and didn't want the charger running.

In any case, look for the converter, 120 volt wires, they may go to the generator side of the transfer switch.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Another possibility may be the transfer switch. Normally, the switch will energize from the genny even if both genny and shore power are present. The switch may be defective, not allowing shore power to pass through even if genny is not running. you can check if you're getting 120V to the converter should tell you if switch is defective.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #9

Thumbs up

I'm going to do some testing with the multi meter from the battery. There are two wires one set of which looks like it heads towards the generator. I'll test backwards and see if I can find the source. I need to do the same for the water heater since electric isn't heating but gas is fine. Probably a burned out heating element from the previous owner, but the good ole multi meter will tell me for sure. I'm starting to learn those essential little tools that make RV maintenance much easier.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

That was a short test. Checked the two smaller wires going to the battery an no power. I then looked under the battery box and found the wires had been severed with a little electric tape on the ends. So, a more specific question now is....where is the charger/inverter that these wires are supposed to be connected to on a 2002 Fleetwood 36R (F53 chassis). I'll check the manual also but you guys might be able to give me a quicker answer.

I also resolved a secondary issue that I mentioned. I thought it was the electric heating element, but turns out the ECO has a reset switch and pushing that seems to have gotten the 110v water heater working again. Gotta love a free repair!
Old 04-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gigamanx,
The "where is it located" question is the question of the day for many of us. Never have owned a Fleetwood coach so as a guess, the converter would be in the basement compartment that holds the shore power cord. It should be somewhere around the batteries. There is a Fleetwood Owner's forum here on iRV2. If Fleetwood specific questions are asked in that forum, the correct answer should come to you quickly.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #12

I'm getting warmer. I found the inverter under the fridge by listening for the fan. No problems with 12v in the coach so I'm assuming output is fine. What I'm now struggling with is where in the mess of cables should I be looking for some kind of charging device. Is it ok to just charge the battery through wires straight from the inverter or do I need to be looking for an "in-between" step. I've read about 3 phase switches that charge them switch to trickle. Is that possibly what I need or are RVs usually wired without those?

Sorry for the questions. I'm at a bit of a dead end now that I've found a working inverter
Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 AM   #13

I've been googling and found that that house battery should get 13.4+ when plugged into shore power or its not charging. The responsible component for that is something called a BCC which I found under the front hood. A solenoid is used to switch between battery and shore for charging the battery. The same solenoid is used somehow for the aux power button on the dash to start the RV from house batteries. I am pretty sure that button has never worked. Any suggestions on how to test the circuit?
Old 04-07-2015, 05:21 AM   #14

On mine there is a disconnect switch. When in the store mode does not charge batteries. In the use mode does charge.

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries