Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2005, 08:05 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have been seeing on Ebay and Pep Boys a 2800- 3000 for $300. Are they any good? I gave $1500 for my Yahama 3000 ise. I got the Yahama because I like to go on line and wanted clean power for the computer and I also use it on our fiver.
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2005, 08:05 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have been seeing on Ebay and Pep Boys a 2800- 3000 for $300. Are they any good? I gave $1500 for my Yahama 3000 ise. I got the Yahama because I like to go on line and wanted clean power for the computer and I also use it on our fiver.
Tom

Old 02-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Sure seems cheap for a generator in that wattage range.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
One of the biggest problems with low cost generators is typically the sound levels.

Lower cost generators are usually noisy and won't be well accepted at campgrounds. Many campgrounds impose the National Park Service Sound level requirement on generators which is 50db at 50 ft.

The noise level from a generator come from exhaust as well as mechanical noise. A generator with an exposed engine, and without well designed acoustic balancing will still be noisy even if it has a exhaust silencing system. Most generators that are designed to be quiet will have some type of enclosure of non-resonating material to dampen the sound level. Engines in those generators have good quality exhaust systems with spark arrestors and mufflers. They are als well balanced, and quieter mechanically.

There may be nothing wrong with an inexpensive generator, but also just a warning that there could be something wrong with a cheap generator. Check the specs carefully and look for the noise rating or that the generator meets National Parks Standards.

Also, just a final thought, be sure that the rating of the generator is continous rating and not the surge rating.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:19 PM   #5

I have been the cheep trail Myself and You will replace it and wish You had went with a good one in the first place.Think $300.00 and off shore.Did You ever buy a cheep wrench?Nice chrome or paint try taking off a few rusty bolts and snap goes the tool back to the store You go and buy a good one and the junk is still Yours.It can't be fixed no parts/Off shore junk stay with Honda or Yammaha if off shore they are a good name Just My .02..John
Old 02-21-2005, 02:15 AM   #6

So roughly, what is a good price for a generator, something that will charge batteries, and keep the fridge cold, while boondocking. Heading south in March, and would like to check them out. Any help appreciated. Thanks

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:44 AM   #7

I looked at Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears and a few other places. I bought a Sears with a 5600W/8600W rating. It was $649.00 plus tax. Mine is primarily for backup at home for sump pump, lights and furnace. I am sure there are quieter ones but for much more money.

I really thought about the Honda EU3000 or a similar Yamaha, but I got much more KW for the money. Mine has a wheel kit on it, so it is easy to move.

Our Craftsman looked just Like the Troy-Built at Lowe's, but for less money. Home Depot has a large variety of types and sizes to compare.

I guess mine is a construction grade generator, but I can live with it.

Good luck,

Frank
Old 02-21-2005, 04:42 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
When shopping for a generator with more kilowatt/hours, take into consideration that if the additional power isn't available at a single outlet you may not be able to use all the rated power in your RV.

As an example, I've seen 5500 - 6500 watt generators that have four 110 volt outlets each with a circuit breaker of 20 amps. With this configuration the most you'll get for your RV is the 20 amps provided (2400 watts) to your shore cable through an adapter.

I've also seen 3500 - 4000 watt generators that have a 30 amp 110 volt twist lock outlet that by using the correct adapter would allow you to get the full 30 amps (3600 watts) into your rig.

IMHO, for use with an RV, the configuration in the example with the lower wattage would be the best buy. Sometimes less is better.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:46 AM   #9
RWH

A single Honda EU2000i will run everything but your AC. I shopped the internet and bought two from Weis Sales for just under $900.00 each. One will easily run the home fridge, lights, TV and even the microwave. You can connect two w/ an RV parallel adapter $130.00 to run the AC.

CONS: Price

PROS: Light weight, approx 50lbs. Easy to manage and operate. Clean power due to built in inverter.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:24 AM   #10
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I bought a Generac EXL4000 from home depot for $475. It has electric start, a 30 Amp outlet that will run everything in my 5ver including the AC, and pneumatic wheels so that it can be moved easily. It runs about 13 hrs on a tank of gas. It surges to 6.5 KW and runs continously at 4 KW. Its rated at 58 db at 50ft. I can barely hear it running when inside the rig. It is a great generator for the money in my estimation.