Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #1

I just had a BAD EXPERIENCE with Good Sam Emergency road service. They refused to cover a tire change on a trailer I was towing with the motorhome. They claimed it was a "utility trailer"¯, when in fact it was a toy hauler.

Their brochure clearly states they cover toy haulers. They used the fine print and their interpretation of what was a toy hauler to avoid paying the tire change fee. I have cancelled and gone back to my previous ERS.

They lost a customer over a $65 charge and hopefully after you read this post, they will lose a few more. I thought Good Sam was all about service, but apparently it is a typical insurance company and will cheat the customer if the opportunity arises.
olburro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #2

I just had a BAD EXPERIENCE with Good Sam Emergency road service. They refused to cover a tire change on a trailer I was towing with the motorhome. They claimed it was a "utility trailer"¯, when in fact it was a toy hauler.

Their brochure clearly states they cover toy haulers. They used the fine print and their interpretation of what was a toy hauler to avoid paying the tire change fee. I have cancelled and gone back to my previous ERS.

They lost a customer over a $65 charge and hopefully after you read this post, they will lose a few more. I thought Good Sam was all about service, but apparently it is a typical insurance company and will cheat the customer if the opportunity arises.
olburro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I would imagine they defined a "toy hauler" as a recreational vehicle (TT, 5th wheel or motorhome) with provision to carry ATVs, motorcycles, etc. within it, right??

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Could you elaborate on why they decreed your trailer was not a toy hauler? I'm sure you realize that placing a "toy" on any old trailer does not automatically make that trailer into a toy hauler, so I would assume there must have been more to it than that. I'm sure other members will want to avoid the pitfall that you fell into, so please give us the full scoop.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hopefully after you read this post, they will lose a few more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They won't lose me based solely on the information provided by this post. I've been with them for over 10 years and have had nothing but exemplary service when it was needed.

Perhaps a photo of the trailer attached to your 29' Itasca Spirit would help us understand your frustration with them.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:19 AM   #6

I agree we need more info.If its a cargo trailer used to hall toys,I wouldnt think it would fit there criteria.Does this trailer have a kitchen and bathroom? If so you have a legite gripe.GS has saved my but 4 times,I have been happy with them.I have coachnet now because of free offer.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Good Sam ERS has been in the business for a long time and I would think they know what a toy hauler is. Sounds like he may not have one. Without more info, it is hard to tell. Over the years, ERS has always come through as promised for us.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Protection For All Household Vehicles
Your RV and all your household cars, minivans, SUVs, pick-ups, motorcycles and boat trailers are protected!

I cut the above from the GS website.

Steve
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ahhh haaa, but did it say utility trailer ?

Olburro, if I were you, I'd just eat the $65, and see how they handle you when yer rig blows a tire, I'll bet you'll be real happy with them

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #10

GS ERS has worked wonderfully for us, both at home and on the road. We switched from CSAA 8 years ago when I retired, because CSAA wouldn't cover towing our trailer if the truck broke down. So far, the truck or trailer hasn't failed, but we've needed them twice on our SUV while traveling away from our home. Excellent service.

It sounds like your "definitions" are different from GS. Definitions are everything in a contract, so it is wise to understand the definitions before you enter into the contract.

From a retired Contract Administrator,

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Seeing from your past posts that you own a Class C then it would appear you don't own a Toy Hauler but you own a cargo trailer. The difference is that most will define a Toy Hauler has having a living/sleeping space as well as the ability to hold your ATVs/MX/Motorcycle. As Stevegeorgetown noted the website leaves this open to some interpretation, but it doesn't say cargo/utility trailers just boat trailers. My gut is that your definition and their definition of Toy Hauler are not the same. Ask for a refund of your dues and find another carrier, but check with them and get it in writing that they cover all towed vehicles.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #12

olburrito, Out of curisoty, what is the make and model of your toy hauler? I know of no ERS that covers utility trailers or farm trailers. Someone said CoachNet does, but I received a reply from them saying they "out of courtesy" cover boat trailers and tow dollys. If fact the language is the same as used by Good Sam ERS.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #13

I haven't the need to use their service yet but signed on due to their excellent rep.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #14

Anyone notice this new poster never came back and answered any of the questions???
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote