Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #29

There have been a lot of excellent ideas in here so far! I really appreciate all the suggestions, keep them coming folks!

I'm thinking I will be skipping the 3-4 day "test" vacation and start actually prepping for a 14 day or so 3000 mile round trip of the southwest in January. If something goes wrong on the road because I didn't do the "test" trip, well, I'll just deal with it at that point!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 06:41 PM   #30

Cut aluminum screening for the inside of all outside access doors....and don't forget the a/c housing....mud dobbers like to build nests on the ferriswheels we call fans........come on down to Quartzsite Arizona......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb02 View Post
Fire extinguisher! Thank you! When I did the walk through on my trailer with one of the senior service technicians after signing the papers while they were hooking it up to my truck I pointed out the fire extinguisher, said it seemed quite small should anything actually go wrong. He went on to say that in a previous job years before he was with a company that dealt with fire extinguishers and the ones they include in trailers now are jokes - you feel like you have something, but in reality you may as well just spit on the fire because the tiny ones aren't going to help much for a real fire situation. I forgot about his advice soon after bringing it home, and thank you for reminding me to get a better one!

In the shop a few months back without thinking properly I was cleaning off a slightly corroded distributor cap on an old tractor without unhooking the battery. Well I bumped the coil accidentally to where it contacted ground and it sparked, causing a fire with the brake cleaner I was using for cleaning purposes. That along with the caked on grease and grime on the engine it was burning quite nicely in a few seconds flat. I used probably half of a decent sized fire extinguisher putting it out. Start of fire to completely out was probably only about 2 minutes - but made me realize the importance of having a fire extinguisher that has decent capacity because of how fast things can get out of hand.

Farming around here we are actually fairly small at around 500 acres but we have pretty good crop diversity. Crops include garlic, alfalfa, field corn, sweet corn, ryegrass, teff grass, orchard grass, pumpkins, an 8 acre garden that has a little bit of everything. Biggest thing is probably the pumpkin patch/corn maze event that we have every October which is the largest in this area and we feature a lot of attractions to bring people in. Primarily I am in charge of equipment maintenance/repairs as well as equipment operations on the ground.
Don't forget the back scratcher.
We scaled down alot with gardening. Now we have a greenhouse a few raised beds. In winter we just do containers and hydroponics in greenhouse.
Pappystoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:16 PM   #32

Absolutely no need for the extra propane bottles. Unless you're dry camping and using propane for your generator it will take forever to go through your on-board propane.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #33

Totally agree with the no need for extra LP tanks. It’s very easy to get LP just about everywhere and unless you are boondocking way out in the boonies and running your furnace a lot LP lasts a long time. Our TT has two 20# tanks and on our two month trip from Florida to Alaska and back this summer we only had to fill 2-3 tanks during the entire trip. We did run the furnace a few times and also used LP for our grill.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote