Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #1

Lightbulb Check those clearance lights for leaks. PSA

You know that list of things...

We bought our rig in June. Everything looked good but its that 6 mos roof check and maintenance time. We were planning on doing eternabond on everything in the spring. I have everything ready to go. Just waiting for it to be above 50 so it adheres better.

Well, the clearance lights were second on the list. I noticed a decent drip last week when it was raining. Its winterized but in the drive and I check on it weekly.
It was dripping out the bottom of the cabinets over the cab. It was above the window and not leaking in the cabinets. The rig is rolled back on the drive so it slopes back. Good thing or the drip would have gone unnoticed and rusted the top of the windshield frame.

I guess during some winds last week we got a projectile blown into the bezel of one of the clearance lights. Pulled out a seed pod thing. It was full of water.

Then I took a flashlight and looked into the lenses of the others. Two others full of water. They had been sealed at some point with silicone. You know that stuff is worthless. Also there appears to be weep holes in the bottom of the light openings. Pretty sure those need to be left open for those sealing around them.

So...the quandary was now what. I noticed one of the other lenses had a crack and they are rotted from sun. Im ordering new ones but what to do with the mega leaks until then.

I found out that 3M makes a non residue weather resistant duct tape. Picked up some from Lowes. Taped over all the lights and openings, since its not going anywhere anyway. Probably need to do the rear ones too....and the list goes on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
You know that list of things...

We bought our rig in June. Everything looked good but. Taped over all the lights and openings, since its not going anywhere anyway. Probably need to do the rear ones too....and the list goes on.
Get some LED replacements on Ebay or at Amazon. Cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/ACUMSTE-Bulls...SIN=B0776W8QS5

Sudsy
Old 02-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

I mulled that over. Just not feeling it. I went that route with my motorcycle. If they are junk then they will fail quickly meaning the need to redo the splices and reseal the lights. Plus, the need to purchase the tool to do a quality crimp.

Also I need a particular light because they are flush inset within the cap.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:11 AM   #4

Grote made the original marker lights on most RV. Google them - they are cheap, like $5 each. I replaced all mine up front - all were leaking.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #5

OSI is a great sealer for the Marker lights.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OSI-10-f...2487/203357966

Keep a tube or two in the basement for emergency repairs/seals.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Grote made the original marker lights on most RV. Google them - they are cheap, like $5 each. I replaced all mine up front - all were leaking.
Yep ordering Grote. They aren't the original but close enough and well made. https://autoplicity.com/2318626-grote-sp-lmp-marker
Old 02-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
OSI is a great sealer for the Marker lights.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OSI-10-f...2487/203357966

Keep a tube or two in the basement for emergency repairs/seals.

Best of Luck,

I was thinking about bedding them in Dicor butyl tape so they can be removed to change out lights.

I do appreciate the info on the sealant. I think it might use it for the trim above the basement doors. I keep sealant with me too. Just make sure you don't let it freeze.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #8

I used BoatLife caulk and bedded them in that and as I tightened them down I made sure I had a good squeeze out to seal anything out.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #9

Ours leaked into the interior, they're recessed into front cap. Previous owner sealed them all the way around with silicone, what a dumb idea. The silicone dried and pulled loose at the top. So water got in and couldn't drain out the bottom. They filled up and backed up into the interior. The gaskets on ours were shot and replacements aren't available. I made some new ones from EDPM weather stripping.

If you get replacements from autoplicity, cut out the bottom the gasket that comes with them. Remove about 1/2" in the bottom center. That's how our original gaskets were and I copied that when I made new ones. That will allow any water that gets behind the gasket to drain out instead of backing up into the interior. After making new gaskets for ours we haven't had any more leaks. I would not use any sealer around them. Just makes a mess if you have to remove one and the gasket should seal the water out.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #10

I sealed the holes and bedded all the lights in butyl tape. I also drilled a small hole in the bottom of all the lenses to allow water to drain. We did have a leak in one of the rear lights into the wall over the window. At first, I thought the window was leaking until I did more investigating. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Ours leaked into the interior, they're recessed into front cap. Previous owner sealed them all the way around with silicone, what a dumb idea. The silicone dried and pulled loose at the top. So water got in and couldn't drain out the bottom. They filled up and backed up into the interior. The gaskets on ours were shot and replacements aren't available. I made some new ones from EDPM weather stripping.

If you get replacements from autoplicity, cut out the bottom the gasket that comes with them. Remove about 1/2" in the bottom center. That's how our original gaskets were and I copied that when I made new ones. That will allow any water that gets behind the gasket to drain out instead of backing up into the interior. After making new gaskets for ours we haven't had any more leaks. I would not use any sealer around them. Just makes a mess if you have to remove one and the gasket should seal the water out.
Definitely not plugging the drain hole again. Thanks for the reminder to alter the gasket.

I don’t understand what real purpose silicone serves aside from sealing fish tanks. Lol They should remove it from the shelves so people have to think about the products they use and make educated choices.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #12

I replaced mine with Truck-lite 30050R. Sealed leds so no need to worry about drainage and can seal them permanently.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Definitely not plugging the drain hole again. Thanks for the reminder to alter the gasket.

I don’t understand what real purpose silicone serves aside from sealing fish tanks. Lol They should remove it from the shelves so people have to think about the products they use and make educated choices.
There are places where silicone is the right option. Outdoors in the sun and elements isn't one of them.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #14

Good news is that the flood of water coming in was from the lights. It rained hard last night and not one drop. There is still tape over them, as soon as I get the replacements its good to know it will resolve the issue.

Pretty sure this is how the winnebago windshields get rusted out.

Tags
leak, leaks, light, lights