Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #29

This will solve your problemhttp://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #30

Mike you failed to mention which surge protector you have so telling you if your chord is protected is difficult.
The Surge Guard 50 amp will protect for the following
Automatically shuts off the power when any of the conditions below are present. Automatic reset on power restoration.
Mis-wired Pedestal
Power Surges
Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage
Reverse Polarity
Dangerous Current on Ground Wire
Caution indicator light to indicate cause of power stoppage. 2 minute 16 second reset delay protects AC compressor
1750 Joules
Bothe the hard wired model as well as the plug in model offer the same protection. One is just more apt to grow legs and walk off.
Don and Nancy
2011 Allegro RED
2012 Equiniox
2007 Yorkie

Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an EMS-HW50C and it is worth every nickel. If it saves your RV or any electrical device in it, it has paid for itself, much less your valuable time being lost trying to get something repaired while on one of your few vacations, that is if you are not retired and have lots of time to spare.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #32
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This seems to be such a vitally important piece of safety equipment. Do any RVs come equipped with them? Imagine how much cheaper they would be if every factory installed them.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Something I'd like to point out...if you've ever replaced your shore power plug end, you need to open up it up at least once a year, and tighten down the wire clamps (while it's unplugged of course). The clamps can work loose from normal use. I replaced the plug ends on my 50 amp shore power cord as well as my 50 amp extension with a set of Camco PowerGrips, and make tightening them part of my annual spring time routine.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
Good grief! What have I gotten myself into? I am a newbie with NO motorhome experience and this whole electrical business freaks me out! My walk through is next Thursday, and can someone on here please tell me in plain, simple terms (so the tech gives me plain, simple answers) what questions I should be asking about plugs, surge protectors, campground connections, or whatever you think is important. The following Monday I am staying at a local county campground and now I'm nervous about using their hook-up.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmesaaz View Post
Good grief! What have I gotten myself into? I am a newbie with NO motorhome experience and this whole electrical business freaks me out!
Don't let it bother you. There's a learning curve...I've been an RV owner for 20 years and I'm still learning!

There's been a lot of the discussion here has been about surge protectors. Since these aren't a part of an RV's factory equipment, the person giving you your walk through most likely won't know much about them. Just ask hhim to show you the shore power cord, and inspect it to make sure it's tight and intact.

Going on your maiden voyage without a surge protector is not a big deal. I camped for 10 years before I bought one. I would however at some point purchase one, when you find the model and price that suits you.

Again, don't let this stuff freak you out....there's a lot to learn on an RV and it takes time. Get out and enjoy your new toy!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #36
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A year ago I was planning to pick up my new moho and read a thread similar to this one. I was so freaked out that I bought my surge guard and took it with me with plans to install it on the drive home. I have a hardwired 30 amp Progressive Industries unit.

I have only plugged into campground shore power once. I dry camp or stay with friends and family, but I did eventually install it myself. There are good websites that will help you understand RV power. Here is one --

Electrical Tutorial

I paid an electrician to install a 30 amp outlet at my daughter's house, but had to prove to him that I didn't need 220 service. The plug resembles the one on a dryer.*

Here is the 50 amp version of what I bought --*

Amazon.com: TRC 34560 Surge Guard 50-Amp Hardwire: Automotive

The cost is less than replacing a TV or microwave. To me this is a no-brainer. *It might only happen to 1 in 10,000 RVs, but I didn't want it to be my RV. I imagine that you can test the outlet before plugging in with a multi-tester, but I have not yet learned to use one.*

Have fun with your new RV. This is a great lifestyle!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
A year ago I was planning to pick up my new moho and read a thread similar to this one. I was so freaked out that I bought my surge guard and took it with me with plans to install it on the drive home. I have a hardwired 30 amp Progressive Industries unit.

I have only plugged into campground shore power once. I dry camp or stay with friends and family, but I did eventually install it myself. There are good websites that will help you understand RV power. Here is one --

Electrical Tutorial

I paid an electrician to install a 30 amp outlet at my daughter's house, but had to prove to him that I didn't need 220 service. The plug resembles the one on a dryer.*

Here is the 50 amp version of what I bought --*

Amazon.com: TRC 34560 Surge Guard 50-Amp Hardwire: Automotive

The cost is less than replacing a TV or microwave. To me this is a no-brainer. *It might only happen to 1 in 10,000 RVs, but I didn't want it to be my RV. I imagine that you can test the outlet before plugging in with a multi-tester, but I have not yet learned to use one.*

Have fun with your new RV. This is a great lifestyle!
I am the 1 in 10000 you referred to. I was coming back from Florida on the maiden voyage of my 2012 Winnebago 35F. I stopped at a COE campground in Georgia and within a half hour of connecting to the 50 amp service the power converter, inverter, microwave and sat receiver all went. $3000 dollars and two months later, I should be back on the road any day now. I have since purchased the TRC 34560 and will be installing it as soon as I get the coach back.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #38

I have the TRC hardwired surge protector and sleep better at night knowing I do.

I have replaced several plugs due to excessive heat. Like someone else mentioned, check your plug at LEAST once a year for tightness of connections and signs of burnt wiring or arcing. While you are running all of your air conditioners, microwave, hair dryers, or whatever, you should just go put a hand on your plug. You will be surprised how warm it gets. Don't trust your factory plug. I have replaced mine with a Camco Power Grip. Do yourself a favor and spend more than less on your electrical system.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar View Post
I wanted to make sure I plugged the cable into the trailer the right way so I unplugged it from the trailer and started to plug it back in when the cable fell out of the plug,
with the neutral coming loose in the plug I had 240 volts going through my trailer it took out the microwave oven the electric side of the refrigerator the wine cooler.
I am lucky that was all, I wanted to buy a surge protector did not know which to buy the one you put on the shore power or the one you put in the trailer I think the one you put in the trailer is the one I will buy the one you put on the shore power would not have stopped this problem check your cable at the plug into the rv end.
This doesn't make any sense. 4 wire 50 amp outlets are wired with 120 volts on each hot lead, a neutral, and a ground.

If your neutral was coming loose you would have had 0 (zero) volts through the trailer unless it has the neutral tied to ground. Then you would have noticed no difference, ie 120 volts on each circuit. There is no way you could have had 240 volts coming through your trailer with a loose neutral unless that loose neutral somehow hooked itself to the other phase of the hot.. Not likely through the 1/2 inch of rubber in most cable ends have between leads without foreign matter in the connector.

RV outlets have single phase 220 volt, on a 4 wire connector which is 2 each 120 volt wires that are 180 degrees out of phase, a neutral (power system ground) and a true earth ground. If you connect between the 2 hot leads you get 240 volts, else you get 120 volts or no volts. With a loose neutral there is no way to get 240 volts unless you have something wired incorrectly, ie neutral wired or connected to one of the hot leads somewhere in your trailer or in the plug, or as I said above that the neutral somehow bridged the 1/2 in gap the contact the other hot wire.

There are no 240 volt wires anywhere. To get 240 volts you have to connect across the two 120 volt phases. Campgrounds don't have any 240 volt, only 120 volt wires 180 degrees out of phase which would allow for 240 volt if desired and wired correctly.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #40

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
I have the TRC hardwired surge protector and sleep better at night knowing I do.

I have replaced several plugs due to excessive heat. Like someone else mentioned, check your plug at LEAST once a year for tightness of connections and signs of burnt wiring or arcing. While you are running all of your air conditioners, microwave, hair dryers, or whatever, you should just go put a hand on your plug. You will be surprised how warm it gets. Don't trust your factory plug. I have replaced mine with a Camco Power Grip. Do yourself a favor and spend more than less on your electrical system.
AMEN to that! I got a first hand lesson last July/August in that horrible heat here....I have a Camco Power Grip, and two extras, just in case....not gonna be caught without one. Those 30 amp Camco Power Grips were about 12 last year, I noticed the other day they are 17 now.....but well worth it.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No! I use a portable 50 Amp unit from pROGRESSIVE iNDUSTRIES. I made a short cable that plugs into the MH, then I plug my big cable into the Progressive unit. now my big power cord goes to the campground post and plugs into the progressive unit. This way the progressive unit is inside my electrical compartment, out of site, out of the rain and elements and safe. Occasionally i unplug it and take it to a sits elect post before backing in to check the power. but, I always use my short cord and put it back in the elect compartment. good luck... ed
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #42

The neutral came loose where you plug into the
trailer,came in contact with the red wire inside
the plug.at the trailer. maybe I didn't have 220v
in the trailer.but the wine cooler, microwave, and
the refrigerator didn't like the extra power they got.
All had to be replaced.