Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Check your 50 & 30 amp cable

I just got back from 9 days camping at Pismo Beach got there on super bowl Sunday about 3:30pm, getting RV set up put slides out hooked water and tv cable then plugged in the 50amp electrical went inside turned the tv on game just getting started.
We have a small wine cooler I plugged it in gfi breaker popped in bathroom
unplugged cooler, tv went off reset breaker turned tv back on plugged cooler into another receptacle flash from inside cooler breaker popped again unplugged cooler ok something is wrong with cooler, reset breaker
I then put the breaker on for electric water heater when I did that, I heard a sizzle sound from the basement turned that breaker off , opened the door where my sears 19.2 battery charger was plugged in charging a
battery, charger and battery were melted, unplugged 50 amp from campground listed togame on the radio.
Monday morning got campground to check shore power it was ok they plugged it back in checked outlets in side trailer no neutral, we unplugged shore power I called a rv service that comes out to the campground could not get there until Tuesday morning so we had no power for one more day .
I wanted to make sure I plugged the cable into the trailer the right way so I unplugged it from the trailer and started to plug it back in when the cable fell out of the plug,
with the neutral coming loose in the plug I had 240 volts going through my trailer it took out the microwave oven the electric side of the refrigerator the wine cooler.
I am lucky that was all, I wanted to buy a surge protector did not know which to buy the one you put on the shore power or the one you put in the trailer I think the one you put in the trailer is the one I will buy the one you put on the shore power would not have stopped this problem check your cable at the plug into the rv end.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry to hear about your difficult experience. This is why the first thing I bought for my new motor home was a good surge protector. Mine is the hardwired style.
Master Catalog

okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
PS I believe th Progressive Ind models are the best for detecting all types of power issues. Some do not react to excessive and limited power or reversed polarity. Like many other RV accessories, this is good insurance. You just proved it.

I hope the campground has insurance to cover your losses.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #4

It wasn't the campgrounds falt it was my 50amp cable that
came apart at the plug that plugs into the trailer thats
why I said check your plug.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW. Thanks for that post.

Never thought something like that could happen. I had plenty of problem with my plug when I bought the coach, it was loose and finally I replaced it with the good, hand held Camco. The big thing with those cheaper plugs is they dont keep the power cord from moving. When it moves, it loosens the connectors inside over time.

I have the old fashion, cheap style plug in when I switch from shore power to the generator, I have to plug it in to the outlet for the generator in the utility bay. After reading about transfer switches and problems associated with them, also the fact that there isn't enough wire to properly install a transfer switch, I am ok with plugging mine in for the generator use for house power.

Your post reminds me also of the previous owners, who plugged in to a temporarily wired up plug and didn't know it was a 220, blew all the electrics in the coach. I would really like to get a surge protector that shows what kind of power and checks all that stuff before it lets the supply through to the house, but they look to be around 600. I need to find someone that is getting rid of their 30 amp protector cheap! I also saw surge protectors that can also boost voltage in a low voltage situation, like last miserably hot summer when the CG's were sucked dry during the day with every coach running every air unit. Those are the pricey ones.

Thanks for sharing! Makes me all the more need to get one....
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know so little about electrical stuff. When you said 240 volts went thru, I assumed the campground power was mis-wired. A hardwired surge protector would have prevented the damage, right? And a plug-in style might have let the wrong voltage go thru since the problem was on the rv side of the plug?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #7

I guess there is one advantage to a 30 amp service over the 50 amp one . That sure reminds us to keep a check on the cords that we are using. Glad that you did not have a fire and you are safe.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
30 amp is not immune to open neutral problems.

I was in a campground with my 30 amp trailer, where a loose neutral bus bar in the campground's electrical distribution box caused high and low voltage depending on which sites were connected to each leg. As some sites (like mine) saw voltages up to 175 volts, some saw voltages down to 75 volts. Most everyone had damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
I guess there is one advantage to a 30 amp service over the 50 amp one . That sure reminds us to keep a check on the cords that we are using. Glad that you did not have a fire and you are safe.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #9

Thanks for the wake-up call! I think we all worry about electrical connections at the campgrounds we hook up to (or we sure should). I have been using a voltmeter before connecting, but have just received the new SSP-50 RV/Smart Surge Protector I finally ordered from Progressive Industries. This one is not the best at $119, (ordered through Amazon) but gives me some peace of mind.
Adk Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanks so much for the info....will make sure DH checks the power cord ASAP...and will be researching surge protectors.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the one I was thinking about....but man its pricey. But it has high and low voltage protection too.

Portable Surge Protector with Voltage Protection - Product - Camping World

This is the one I was talking about that boosts low voltage too.....but it's even more expensive, but if I were gonna be at a CG more, it would sure be worth it.

Surge Guard RV Voltage Regulators - Product - Camping World
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Unfortunate situation, the only thing that would have saved the electronics is a hardwired system that would protect more that a surge protector. Progressive Industries make a unit that will protect the coach from a situation just like the op had.
EMS-LCHW50C
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar View Post
It wasn't the campgrounds falt it was my 50amp cable that
came apart at the plug that plugs into the trailer thats
why I said check your plug.
surge guard would have caught the short and problems,
I got mad at mine this summer, it wouldnt let the rig take shore-power
we were at my sisters house and the plug was wired with 40 amp breaker...but both legs were on the same phase so it kept locking out the power
i had to finally open up the house panel and that where i found it had been wired wrong,
it saved our bacon so to speak.

glad you didnt catch fire or get hurt
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #14

I have a 50amp portable surge protector I always use at the box. Will this surge protector installed BEFORE THE CORD protect me if the cord itself is bad?