Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

Check your Camping World receipt closely

Browsing through the newest Camping World mailer, I noticed they had water heater anodes on sale. I like to carry a spare, so we drove over to get one yesterday morning. Picked that up, and three other items. A total of four items.
Walking to the car, we checked the receipt over, and found a fifth item also included. It said $22.... "install fee".... for the anode.
Went back in to the cashier. She said "sorry, my mistake", and refunded the $22 amount.

Made me think.....hmmmmm, I wonder how often they get away with that, and it goes unnoticed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
YC1

Watch those ads. They don't necessarily honor them at the stores. I tried to buy an item trying to shop locally and window shop at the same time.

They were going to charge me "shipping" for the part and they add had free shipping on the ad.

I changed my mind and left the part at the check out stand.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
Browsing through the newest Camping World mailer, I noticed they had water heater anodes on sale. I like to carry a spare, so we drove over to get one yesterday morning. Picked that up, and three other items. A total of four items.
Walking to the car, we checked the receipt over, and found a fifth item also included. It said $22.... "install fee".... for the anode.
Went back in to the cashier. She said "sorry, my mistake", and refunded the $22 amount.

Made me think.....hmmmmm, I wonder how often they get away with that, and it goes unnoticed.
Hmm very sneaky. I wonder if it’s forced and they didn’t remove it. Anyway they get right up my nose anytime I’m in there. I put up with it because if I watch their online pricing and make them match it the prices are better than ordering elsewhere.

Got a CO/propane detector for $50 vs the $120 in store or anywhere else for that matter.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #4

oh boy here we go. now all camping world cashiers are thieves. you evidently have never made a error.. they are paid a wage not a commission on how much you can steal
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
oh boy here we go. now all camping world cashiers are thieves. you evidently have never made a error.. they are paid a wage not a commission on how much you can steal
I didn't read anywhere where it said they were thieves, have another beer and chill out. I got caught by that once, I now keep a running tally and add the tax at the end so I know about how much it should be before I even get to the register. 22 dollars is a pretty hefty difference not to notice right off the bat.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #6

It wouldn't be the cashiers. Whatever they collect goes in the register if the cash doesn't balance then no more job.

I meant sneaky as in camping world leaving it up to the customer to make sure the installation charge is removed however it got there in the first place.

Ive had them charge me the wrong price several times. I write down the price and double check. the first time I was overcharged $50. Didn't realize until I got home and looked at the website that I realized I was overcharged. They tried to tell me it was because the parts department had to get it for me. yeah it was a toilet just no inventory on the floor.

When I have them price match I do my math first. Not that the cashier does it on purpose but they have to do it on the calculator and sometimes they are off a bit. The last time the guy actually was going to undercharge me. I had him correct it. Dont need that kind of karma.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Another sneaky place to watch.

A couple of years I camped at a KOA. Paid the first night by credit card when I made the reservation. Upon arival the clerk tacked on a Koa discount card that I didn't ask for. Realized this a little later. Could have too the office to get an adjustment. Decided to never camp at a KOA again. I have kept my part of the bargain.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #8

I don’t let things like that make me suffer by being inconvenienced or spend more money. My time is too valuable to be driving farther to avoid a company that has no idea I’ve crossed them off the list. They don’t even feel it financially.

If I can avoid them I do but when I go to my local RV supply and the thing I need is $75 more there Then I will buy it at CW. Some people here have the cash to be picky. I don’t.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #9

Things like that can happen at any store. People are human and make mistakes. All that happens is they hit a wrong key and bam something is on the receipt that doesn't belong. We've been undercharged just as much as we've been over charged. At the campground we are currently at we were only charged for 14 nights and we're staying here 15 nights. After checking in and we were at our camp site I discovered the mistake on our receipt as I was filing it away. I went back up to the office and paid for the 15th night. The lady thanked me for finding her mistake, but was also shocked that I came back up to pay up. She said most people would not have done that. What can I say....I'm honest. I don't want anyone stiffing me money so I don't want to do the same to anyone else. I treat other people/businesses the way I would like to be treated. Simple as that.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
Things like that can happen at any store. People are human and make mistakes. All that happens is they hit a wrong key and bam something is on the receipt that doesn't belong. We've been undercharged just as much as we've been over charged. At the campground we are currently at we were only charged for 14 nights and we're staying here 15 nights. After checking in and we were at our camp site I discovered the mistake on our receipt as I was filing it away. I went back up to the office and paid for the 15th night. The lady thanked me for finding her mistake, but was also shocked that I came back up to pay up. She said most people would not have done that. What can I say....I'm honest. I don't want anyone stiffing me money so I don't want to do the same to anyone else. I treat other people/businesses the way I would like to be treated. Simple as that.
Exactly! If I'm gonna be labeled a thief, look out FT. Knox, I'd make the crime worth the label.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #11

I went in to Camping World to buy a hard-wire surge protector because they were on sale at the time. I got to the register and it was about $40 more than their own campingworld.com online price. They did "match" the online price, but keep your eyes open for discrepancies between the sale prices and what you may actually pay in store.
agilabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Seriously folks? Check your receipts at any store, restaurant campground or wherever. Prices are computerized. Mistakes happen. Jeez, no one is stealing from you, they will refund the error. I swear, people need to just chill out and stop complaining about every little thing! Rant over!!
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilabs View Post
I went in to Camping World to buy a hard-wire surge protector because they were on sale at the time. I got to the register and it was about $40 more than their own campingworld.com online price. They did "match" the online price, but keep your eyes open for discrepancies between the sale prices and what you may actually pay in store.
They aren't discrepancies. They just don't have the same sales in store. There was a while where they wouldn't even match their own online price which shows they are not one in the same.

The reason you should check is to make sure you didn't forget to have them price match.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
Seriously folks? Check your receipts at any store, restaurant campground or wherever. Prices are computerized. Mistakes happen. Jeez, no one is stealing from you, they will refund the error. I swear, people need to just chill out and stop complaining about every little thing! Rant over!!
Very true, and you should always check the bagging area for your bags. The cashier may not bring them to your attention.

I cashiered at Walmart when I was in between jobs. I always felt horrible when people forgot their bags cause I didn't make sure the carousel rolled around.

I also mis rung stuff on accident. Hopefully I caught it all. Being the fastest cashier it was bound to happen.

Tags
camping, camping world