Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check your detectors

With so many RV's being purchased early in the season and this time of the year many people and new owners overlook the detectors in their units. Used units may be sold by dealers and private sellers with detectors which may have reached and passed there effective life span. This can be a serious safety issue and I advise anyone with doubt to check the replacement date on your detector. It can save a life. Safe travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #2

Mine does not have a replacement date.

?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2090954644.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	42630
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The expiration date OR manufacturing date is normally stamped on the back of the unit.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #4

Confused.

I had 2 rigs that I traded at about 15 years old. The alarms always worked, and we tested it regularly.

I would even test it with an unlit propane torch on occasion.

Yeah, confused.
Never heard of one failing.
You?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When I bought my 2001 diplomat l changed my Lp and CO alarms. They have a 5 year life on them. They both worked but for a few dollars, I'll follow the manufactures expiration date.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think Bruce C is talking primarily about CO and smoke detectors. The hard wired LP detectors don't have an expiration date, but regular testing is a great suggestion.

Another thing is the number and location of detectors. My 38 foot Thor Challenger came out of the factory with just one smoke detector all the way at the front of the coach. I added two more combination smoke/CO alarms, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. These detectors (Kidde brand) have a 5 year expiration date on the label.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I think Bruce C is talking primarily about CO and smoke detectors. The hard wired LP detectors don't have an expiration date, but regular testing is a great suggestion.

Another thing is the number and location of detectors. My 38 foot Thor Challenger came out of the factory with just one smoke detector all the way at the front of the coach. I added two more combination smoke/CO alarms, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. These detectors (Kidde brand) have a 5 year expiration date on the label.
My LP and smoke/CO detectors are mid-ship on my 33 foot. I'm okay, I guess, as they are all within 10 feet of any normal ignition/gas source. Yes?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post

Exactly ^^^. These do fail and when they fail they will sound, they can be reset but it will sound prematurely at any time, day or night. This was posted for the people that are unaware that expiration dates are on the back or in some cases on the side. Certainly worth checking. When in doubt replace, it's a small price to pay for safety. You can never have enough smoke detectors as far as I'm concerned. It could save someone.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My CO and LP alarms are hard wired in my rig.
Both are made by safe-t-alert. I just changed both because they expired in May 2012. The new ones are good for 5 years. It says all this on the back of the units.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

My LP and smoke/CO detectors are mid-ship on my 33 foot. I'm okay, I guess, as they are all within 10 feet of any normal ignition/gas source. Yes?
Dave, I think it depends how fast they will react. I tested alarms in my stick&brick by lighting some newspaper in a tin can and timing how long before the alarm triggered. A fire 10 feet from an alarm could get a good hold before the warning sounded. I felt that 50 bucks for a couple of extra alarms was a good investment. I used combination CO alarms because the furnace is in the bathroom below the washer/dryer cabinet and that is right next to the bedroom. I wanted an alarm that would scream in my ear if anything went wrong. I was also not happy about the original combo LP CO detector that Thor installed at floor level. LP gas is heavier than air, but CO is lighter so that alarm needs to be on the ceiling. A combination for those two gases made no sense.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Our Bounder came w/only 1 smoke detector near the stove. It was replaced last year when we purchased 2 more & put the 2nd in the cockpit & the 3rd in our bedroom. Can't have too many, IMO, as these things can go up in a heartbeat.

Now if could just stop the kitchen one from going off everytime I make toast, that'd be great....& no I don't burn the toast, just light brown & it STILL goes off.

Lori
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've replaced the smoke alarm in the main cabin and added one in the bedroom. Replaced the lp detector a couple of years ago and the CO detector a couple of months ago. It came within one week of its stated lifespan.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote