Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

Checking In at Campground

Am a newbie at pulling a 5th wheel, so can not simply drop the toad as we could do with the coach.

What I would like to know is how do you handle the situation when you arrive to confirm that you have a level site. Then when you pull up it is not level as described.

You have already issued payment and there is a no refund policy.

I have seen on a site that there are no refunds once you have hooked up to power, water, etc.

Do you drive to site, inspect, if not level drive back to the office and request another site, if issues can not be resolved and office/manager/owner will not refund you payment or deposit, what are your options then ?

Advice and comments requested.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
level?

Is there ever a site that is perfectly level? In all my years of traveling with trailers and fifth wheels I can only remember a few times that we didn't need to put a stacker block under one side or the other to get the RV level. Occasionally it would take every block we brought.

I still carry 3 stacks of these : RV Leveling Blocks, 8 pack - Intersource Enterprises D10-227 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World

And an assortment of 2x6s.

I always used wheel chocks, and re-tightened them after the tires cooled down.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Level, slight incline, moderate incline, etc., these are all pretty loose terms. On gravel it can change real quick as well with the seasons. Using an auto leveler it has never not made some adjustment. When booking a site if level is a priority just tell them that and ask for the most level sites. Some folks like shade, some clear sky, some privacy, some close to bathhouse, the list goes on. Thankfully we all like something a bit different or we would all want the same site!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm, I don't boondock (DW wouldn't allow it )
so I guess I stay at some odd places, because only once have I had to put blocks under one side of the 5er...

I do have a pack of the plastic blocks, but rarely use them under the tires, usually just under the stabilizers out back...
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

Bring blocks
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've asked to be moved to a more level site. It only happened once when we had our 5-r & luckily the CG wasn't that full so they gave us another campsite. I suppose if they couldn't have found us another site, we would've done the best we could to get as level as possible to keep the fridge working.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #7

Only 1 time in the last 4 years have I had to use both boxes of blocks. And that was at an older state park. If you want perfectly level good luck
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never consider or expect any parking area to be level. They all slope for water drainage, even asphalt parking lots. As others have mentioned, carry wood or plastic chalks along with a folding shovel to dig a hole for a tire or leg of a picnic table or you can have auto leveling jacks installed on your 5er.
If you want everything level every time, I suggest you get comfortable paying $60+ a nite at 5 star RV Resorts which offer concrete pads to park on.
Being a newbee, I encourage you to attend FMCA and GoodSam Rallies and attend seminars on subjects that benefit you.
In addition, there are also many books available at CampingWorld and available Used on line to help Newbees and veterans alike.
If you belong to a social club or fraternal organization [VFW, Elks, Eagles, Moose, etc] that has a local RV Club, you may want to join it and you'll make lots of friends who will assist and share their experiences with you.
Just think of the inconvenience travelers had to tolerate crossing the US by wagon train without campgrounds with running water, electricity, and built in toilets and showers.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #9

Never expect a level site and you wont be dissapointed.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
get army shovel dig and then fill them up when you leave
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #11

I think the issue here isn't how to deal with a slightly off level site. It's whether it was mid-represented when you made a reservation. I think we can all attest to that happening to us on occasion. That is why it's best to pay with a credit card. Even if the camp ground has a "policy" you still have options. Unfortunately, going that route probably means you have to leave, thereby messing up your plans. But if it's truly unacceptable, then you probably want to go anyways.

Personally, I've never had a situation where the management has not tried to work with me to make my stay enjoyable.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have driven the rig, walked to or been driven in a golf cart to some sites to check them out before registering if there was any question.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I think the issue here isn't how to deal with a slightly off level site. It's whether it was mid-represented when you made a reservation. I think we can all attest to that happening to us on occasion. That is why it's best to pay with a credit card. Even if the camp ground has a "policy" you still have options. Unfortunately, going that route probably means you have to leave, thereby messing up your plans. But if it's truly unacceptable, then you probably want to go anyways.

Personally, I've never had a situation where the management has not tried to work with me to make my stay enjoyable.
X2
That said, if there's any doubt, drive back and check it out. It's got your name on it already. If you find it OK, go ahead and drop, then come back up and register? If not satisfactory, you are still not committed and can ask for another site?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #14

New Horizons Owners Club
CC I think you have some good suggestions & experince on your question already. We will add that we were once asked to move to accomodate another guest that needed a larger site such as we were on and agreed to move. In summary we think most campers and host want to help each other as much as reasonable. Have fun
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground