Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How often do you check lug nut torque?
Before every trip 15 34.88%
Whenever I remember 11 25.58%
Monthly 6 13.95%
My mechanic does it for me (I hope!) 5 11.63%
What are lug nuts? 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Checking lug nut torque?

While looking for the right socket size for checking torque on my lug nuts, it occurred to me that I hadn't checked them before the last two short (less than 25 miles) trips. Just curious, how many of you check lug torque and how often?
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #2

If the wheels have been off, I re-torque , after 50 miles, then again at 200. After that before a trip, never got movement out of a lug nut after the third time , but I check them anyway.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

How often do you check the torque on your car wheels? I check mine after wheels have been removed and reinstalled.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
God question, often neglected till an emergancy arises.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
God question, often neglected till an emergancy arises.
I just heard a horror story from a friend who failed to check wheel torque, it's a very worthwhile 10-15 minutes.....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

the torque they run now days its hard to torque one
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

I check torque before every trip. I purchased a clicking type torque wrench (Harbor Freight) and have it set a 100# and use it. It is like buying insurance - it can't hurt. And yes, there have been a few loose nuts. (come on - no puns)
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I check the torque after every time the wheels are off, then again within the first 200 miles. both TV and 5er. with aluminum wheels you have to retorque periodically. I usually do the check before each trip, maybe every other trip if I am behind on my duties. I check the tire and hub temperatures at every stop with an IR hand held unit. I have had the nuts work loose on aluminum wheels, so it is a must do thing.
Frank
Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have a torque wrench that can read 450 lbs, nor do I have arms that can pull that much torque, and I don't have the spare cash to purchase a system that can handle it either so I rely on the nuts staying tight...
Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a torque multiplier that I traded for an unused item that I had three of. Only needs 154 ft lbs to put 500 ft lbs on the lugs.
I also have a 350 ft lb torque wrench and I can pull/push the full torque with. Good find at a pawn shop!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #11

I've never checked the torque on car wheels and it's never been a problem
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #12

Last month a wheel came off my 24' utility trailer while I was hauling my farm tractor w/rotary mower attached. Luckily no oncoming cars hit the wheel, it bounced harmlessly across the oncoming lane into a ditch. The wheels are the type with no center hole, just 4 bolts hold the rim to the brake drum. All 4 bolts came out without damaging the threads in the brake drum. I got to thinking about when was the last time I checked the torque, I think it was about 10 years ago, after replacing a flat with the spare, I checked the other 3 wheels bolts.
Note to self: Check rim bolts for torque prior to every use.
I checked lug-nuts torque on my truck, the Jeep, the Buick, the 5er, the cargo trailer, but completely forgot about the utility trailer since I only use in 3/4 times a year. I'm going to tape a note to the steering wheel of my 1932 Chevrolet, so when I have it road-worthy again I won't lose a wheel- or worse.
IMO the only option for a 71 yr. old man to check lug-nut torque on a 22.5" MH wheel is to hire it done, and that's what I did.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #13

Well Gang,
This to me is kind of amazing, to check torque on lug nuts before every trip???? Wow. I've never even came close to having any lug nuts come loose, on any car/truck/motorhome/motor cycle/boat trailer/any trailer EVER! Now, if you feel you need to, well then, jump in there and check them. We now (for a couple of years) have a 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, the torque on those 33MM lug nuts is, 450 lbs. Well, since I perform my own brake inspections and do a ton of other maintenance that involves removing the wheels/tires, I needed something to break those lug nuts free.

I purchased a 3/4" x 36" breaker bar and, a 33MM socket. Guess what, I still needed a cheater bar for breaking them loose. What a pain. So, I put out feelers as for what other folks use. And, the best answer I got is this:

Torque Multiplier Heavy Duty LUG Wrench Replaces 1" AIR Impact Warranty | eBay

That tool, is worth every nickel. What used to be a serious pain in the a$$, is now a "one arm" effort. I can literally sit and use one arm while breaking a 450 lb. lug nut, or 10 of them per wheel, loose with one arm.

But, while this makes life way more tolerable in breaking them free, you CAN put way too much torque on them in tightening them up. So, I needed another tool for that. So, a torque wrench, one that can handle 450 lbs. is usually seriously high in cost, I managed to find one on ebay for, $75.00. It's "Proto" brand and had just been calibrated prior to my purchase of it. It's approximately 41" long so, applying the needed 450" ft. lbs. of torque is not a problem at all. Especially since the wrench is designed to operate from 150 lbs. to 600 lbs.

So, now, I've got a tool for removing them and, one for tightening them. If you're one of those types that does their own work, as in removal of large diameter lugs at serious torque values, and don't have any tools yet to do the trick for you, then I'd seriously take a look at the tool above. The torque wrench, I got lucky on and it works flawless. But the frequency that I check them, NEVER. They're only torqued if and when the wheels are removed for maintenance.

The amount of torque needed to remove them, after a few thousand miles of travel, after the last time they were off, is still what I put on them at that time. They don't move on their own. So, again, if you like to check on them, jump in there and do what makes you happy.

All of our fire trucks had the same size wheels and, for the most part, the same size tires I presently have. We'd mount those new tires on the alloy wheels and, torque them down, most of the time with a 1" gun set at a certain torque value and, they would not be checked until the rig needed tires again, several thousand miles of rough treatment, down the road. In 30 years of FD service, never had any lug nuts come loose.

One more tool that sure as he.. makes tire and wheel removal seriously more at ease is this one:

Large Capacity Tire Wheel Dolly FOR 36" TO 48" Truck Tractor Trailer Tires | eBay

This tool allows the removal and re-install of a tire/wheel combo (aluminum at 142 lbs. and steel of the same size tire, 167 lbs.) with great ease. The tubes on the sides allow for spinning the tire to align with lug studs as the entire assembly glides right onto the hub. Way easy.

Anyway, that's what I do. Take care and be careful goofing around with those tires and wheels out there.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I purchased a 3/4" x 36" breaker bar and, a 33MM socket. Guess what, I still needed a cheater bar for breaking them loose. What a pain. So, I put out feelers as for what other folks use. And, the best answer I got is this:

Torque Multiplier Heavy Duty LUG Wrench Replaces 1" AIR Impact Warranty | eBay

That tool, is worth every nickel. What used to be a serious pain in the a$$, is now a "one arm" effort. I can literally sit and use one arm while breaking a 450 lb. lug nut, or 10 of them per wheel, loose with one arm.
So...why don't you use the torque multiplier to tighten the lugs? That's what I do. With mine I only need about 154 ft lbs to get 500 which is what mine require.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote