Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #1

Chemical Odor in New RVs

Hi, Hope this is the right forum for my question.

We are shopping for our first RV and have it narrowed down. I realize any new car/RV has the "new car" smell but some of these coaches are so strong I get a headache. Is this going to subside and quickly? I can't imagine traveling with the chemical odors much less think about what it does to someone's health. It's not good obviously to breathe this. Is there any manufactures that try to use "better" materials that don't have such strong odors? Is there anyone out there that hasn't had this in their particular coach? We are looking at 27-30 ft Class C.

Thank you kindly
Roadtripfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
With the plastic, vinyl, fabric carpet, and manufactured wood products used in an RV, I'm not surprised they have an odor when new. I expect ventilation would soon bring it down to tolerable levels. Step into a used unit and smell the difference.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #3

It does go away in time but on RV sales lots and private party sales they are closed up for long periods and that makes it seem worse. Even your car shut up for periods can smell of materials .
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You're probably smelling formaldehyde which is used in making the paneling. That stuff is really strong in a new unit that has not been allowed to air out long! I think the carpets have a strong odor also, not sure it's the same thing.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #5

Thank you everyone, appreciate the feedback. Have a great night!!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
You're probably smelling formaldehyde which is used in making the paneling. That stuff is really strong in a new unit that has not been allowed to air out long! I think the carpets have a strong odor also, not sure it's the same thing.
Yep, FEMA got sued over it after they set up the ones for Katrina. The units were thrown together, lots of them didn't even have holding tanks since they were to be hooked up directly to sewers. Anyway, it does go away but people can still have reactions to it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
With the plastic, vinyl, fabric carpet, and manufactured wood products used in an RV, I'm not surprised they have an odor when new. I expect ventilation would soon bring it down to tolerable levels. Step into a used unit and smell the difference.
No, ventilation doesn't dissipate it quickly. Our TT is 2 years old and still smells "new." No formaldehyde, just those other odors mentioned.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Chemicals..?

I became concerned about this many years back, we bought a Sunnybrook TT, our 3rd trailer and second Sunny, was not new but only about 1 1/2 years old hardly used. First time we went camping in it my daughter began to sneeze a few minutes after entering. This occurred every time we used it. Our solution was Benadryl and tissues, and did not bother anyone else. Our next trailer and subsequent MH did not have the same effect on her. Made me wonder what it was about that TT that caused this.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Strange! When we were looking for a MH and found one it was also new and on the lot. It smelled of the formaldehyde. The salesperson said that when we picked it up most of the smell would be gone. When I asked a technician how they removed the smell he said they closed it up and ran the AC on full blast for the 3 days before pickup.

When we picked it up the smell was minimal and was a short time thereafter that it was dissipated entirely. I believe ventilation does do the trick.

For used cars that have had smokers they use something called a "smoke bomb" and it rids the majority of smell out of the vehicle. You may want to talk to a car dealer and see if that same product, or similar product, would work in the MH.

Edited: Did a Google search on, riding formaldehyde smell, and got a lot of hits.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #10

Wow!! Considering Formaldehyde is known as a carcinogen, you think they would come up with a different substance to use. Who wants to breathe a cancer causing substance?

I did a little research and found that Coachmen RV is now "Green Certified" and are using more healthy materials, one of their videos on YouTube for the Freelander says you will not get the strong odors like other brands. He continues that some people who have breathing problems or asthma can be effected by chemicals being used in other RV brands. That just says right there how bad the chemicals are. Yikes!!!!

I appreciate everyone's feedback!! Thank you
Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #11

This site lists certified green RV manufacturers. TRA | Eco-RVs | Vendor Lists
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
When you pick it up fry up a big batch of live and onions for supper, then make a big pot of bean soup. If that doesn't do the trick try the boiled cabbage route, that should change the smell for a while. Jim
Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #13

Our 2012 model year Keystone Passport has just now pretty much stopped smelling new unless we leave it closed up in hot weather. We took delivery of it in March 2012 and have used it for about 50 nights. I found after replacing the mattresses with more comfortable models that most of the smell was actually the upholstery foam. Ours does not have carpet other than a little bit covering the wheel wells, it has a vinyl floor. There is also not much particle board other than the table top. The cabinets are all plywood or veneered thicker pieces of wood. I leave the top vents cracked open most of the time as well as one of the bunk windows when the weather is decent- I have vent covers and the gutter keeps the rain out of the window.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote