RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #1

Chevy 2500 gasser oil consumption

Brought my trailer home over the weekend, using our new to us 2016 Chevy 2500 HD, and our keystone Springdale 27 foot travel trailer.

The truck handled so much better than the 2014 Ram half ton I used to drag it around all last summer, however I stopped after 60 miles and noticed a burnt oil smell, but and old Ford truck passed at the same time so I dismissed it.

90 miles later I stopped for gas and my wife smelled something hot, sure enough same burning oil smell, found the truck 2 quarts low...

Truck has 40k miles and I was towing at 60 to 65 mph, any of you folks got any ideas on what to look for?

SPIEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #2

First thing that comes to mind is to look and see if you can find an oil leak. It sounds a lot like a valve cover gasket leaking.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #3

Nothing that I can see, the smell is just like when you spill some oil when adding some.

Towing a 7500 pound trailer at 65mph isn't out of line is It?
Old 04-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

As was first suggested, check for a leak if you are smelling it going down the road. I used to know small blocks (and a few GM big blocks) in and out but either the front main or a front passageway at the head gasket would be my first thought. The act of running empty or towing a trailer shouldn't make any difference and create a leak. The only difference would be leakage by the valve seals or rings and at 40K miles, the only way that should happen would be a cook down of the motor either toasting the seals or tempering the rings.

My 8.1 w/ 225K miles doesn't use that much.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #5

It should still be under the powertrain warranty, right? Take it in and have it looked at.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
It should still be under the powertrain warranty, right? Take it in and have it looked at.
I hate dealerships, it is going in on Friday to my independent mechanic, 65mph on level ground with a slight headwind shouldn't be to much, he'll it even shifted back into overdrive....trans temp never got over 145....
Old 04-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was it full of oil when you departed? If so, burning 2 quarts of oil over 90 miles means you have a fairly obvious problem.

I assume you bought the truck used?

Have you changed the oil and filter since you bought it and do you know if the previous owner ever changed the oil and filter?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Was it full of oil when you departed? If so, burning 2 quarts of oil over 90 miles means you have a fairly obvious problem.

I assume you bought the truck used?

Have you changed the oil and filter since you bought it and do you know if the previous owner ever changed the oil and filter?
I did not check the oil before I left, I meant to though. no idea on previous owner, bought it 200 miles from home, oil was changed by the dealership before we bought it, still had 45% on the computer monitor.

Wife just got home and said she has noticed a puff of blue smoke on startup a couple times, even after we started to warm up in MN...and thought it was odd.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:01 AM   #9

If you "burned" 2 quarts of oil over 90 miles you will have wet oil inside the tail pipe. You normally don't really smell that while driving. You have an oil leak somewhere IMO.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I agree with others that it sounds like an oil leak. If it was burning oil you wouldn't smell it while driving.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #11

I think a puff of blue smoke means you're burning it, not losing it somewhere else. I think. This is what I was told: blue smoke- burning oil. Black smoke- burning gas. White smoke- steam; cooling system failure.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:25 PM   #12

Puff of blue smoke on start up is valve seals. This is not normally a problem if it clears up in a few seconds. The same smoke may be noticed pulling away from a stop after a hard decel (think exit ramp from freeway speed with a stop at the end). If you can smell it while driving it is a leak. First place to look if oil was recently changed is for a double gasket at the filter left if old filter gasket stuck to the block. Another known issue is at the oil cooler adapter if so equipped - between the filter and block. Last but not least is loose filter or drain plug. I had one on a 3500 hundred come in on a Friday afternoon late with oil on everything on it and the 5 er it was towing. This was one of the older diesels. I slid under it touched the drain plug and it fell in my hand( hot oil sucks) Fortunately the threads in the pan cleaned up and a new drain plug and oil found them on the way.
hoakken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #13

If you pulled the dip stick, wiped it, stuck it back in, and pulled it again without waiting a few minutes you will get a false low reading.
Diesels especially my cummins is famous for that.
Verify the reading by waiting before pulling the stick after cleaning it. Then top it off if needed and drive it for a few hundred miles. Then check it again.
If it is loosing 2qts in 90 minutes you will see drips on the driveway or constant smoke while driving.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
If you pulled the dip stick, wiped it, stuck it back in, and pulled it again without waiting a few minutes you will get a false low reading.
Diesels especially my cummins is famous for that.
Verify the reading by waiting before pulling the stick after cleaning it. Then top it off if needed and drive it for a few hundred miles. Then check it again.
If it is loosing 2qts in 90 minutes you will see drips on the driveway or constant smoke while driving.
I pulled it and wiped it off for as long as it took to pump 31 gallons of fuel into it, and then some....

It's been to my independent mechanic, no leaks were found, oil has been changed to what GM specs.....guess it's a wait and see,

Tags
chevy, gas