Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
chicken

Well, I have to face it, where my recently purchased mh is concerned, I am a chicken. The thoughts of blowing myself up, or setting the mh on fire just continue to haunt me. This from a woman who has hiked the Zion Narrows, rafted the Colorado River during record cold and windy conditions, gone white-water rafting in Alaska, snorkelled in shark zones, gone parasailing and rappelling, tent camped in bear country etc. etc.

I have attempted to approach this rationally--read the posts, check out library books on rving, order and read the manuals, talk to people. I am learning and testing the various systems one-at-a-time with a friend nearby for moral support. I'm beginning to think I need a shrink!

But, I am going out on yet another local trip in a week, and hope to understand and use the generator at that time. There are no hookups.

So, any words of encouragement regarding the 4.0KW-ONANGAS-MICROQUIET in my 2009 Winnebago Chalet 24vr?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"I'm beginning to think I need a shrink!" I think I know how you feel there, either everyone around me is crazy, or maby its just me. Nope everyone else is CRAZY!

I'm not familar with that generator, not much in the manual either.
http://www.poweredgenerators.com/ona...als/a-1399.pdf

First check all the system out, fuel, exhaust and electiclal. if everything looks nice and secure you should be good. Did you pick this MH up from a dealer? They should have certified all the systems prior to delivery. If not Most RV dealers in my experience have helpfull sevice departments where a Tech can run you through how to run the generator. Lastly if your in the camp site and there are other RVers around just hang out with the generator compartment open, Most RVers are naturaly helpful people and I'm sure someone will offer assistance/confedence in no time.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
And the best thing about RVing is....you will meet lots of people out there, fellow RVers that will only be to happy to lend a hand, give you advice or just talk with you. Have a great time
Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your main concern about RVing is fire, you should check your smoke alarm and propane alarm for proper operation. Check your fridge using the model number to make sure all recalls are completed. Then check the emergency exit window and make sure you know how to open it. Use 2 people for this, one person inside and one person outside to keep the glass from falling out.

After this you should be able to relax and enjoy your RV.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmesaaz View Post

But, I am going out on yet another local trip in a week, and hope to understand and use the generator at that time. There are no hookups.

So, any words of encouragement regarding the 4.0KW-ONANGAS-MICROQUIET in my 2009 Winnebago Chalet 24vr?
We do alot of boondocking and use our genny quite a bit. Ours is the same model, I believe. As with any engine, there is maintenance. Check the oil, filters, etc. It really is quite easy to use.

Depending on where you are staying, most parks have a quiet time, so no genny running between certain hours (usually 10 pm to 7-8 am). I usually get up much earlier than 8 am, so I have a french press for my coffee as I cannot / will not wait 2 hours for my morning coffee!!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
My advice is to read or re-read the manuals on ALL of your appliances, so you get a solid feel for the safety features, especially with regard to LP items like stove, refer, and furnace. For example, if your LP lines get over-pressurized your LP appliances shut down and refuse to light. If you have a leak, you have a detector to let you know. 'Wannabee' gave great advice about knowing how to use your detectors and your bedroom window for escape, because peace of mind comes from knowing what to do in an emergency before it happens. It seems to me, that when rafting the Colorado, rappelling big rocks, and snorkeling with sharks you relied on your equipment knowledge and your awareness of the dangers.... Yes? Same stuff here. Knowledge is key. Just my 2 cents. I sincerely hope you enjoy your upcoming trip, because RVing is sooooo much fun!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #7

When we first got the RV, I'd read the manuals under the awning while in the lot of our inside storage. You don't have to wait until you go camping to learn how to use your generator...it doesn't care where it is, just give it something to do like running an A/C for a hour or so.

I think the guys at the storage lot were probably glad to see us finally go camping. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I have the same generator in my MH. It's a good rig and doesn't require a lot of maintenance. BUT, doing the maintenance is tough going. Getting the filter off and plug out will try anyones patience. I'd suggest finding a Cummins Onan dealer and let them do it. It operates on gas but remember to make sure you have more than 1/4 tank. When your rv gas drops below that your generator will not start. It's a safety to make sure you have enough gas to drive away. Next thing is starting it. Check your exhaust to make sure it is not blocked with dirt or animal. The remote switch will likely be black with "push on top to start and push on bottom to stop". When the generator is off, it should be primed to start. You do that by pressing the OFF or lower part of the switch and hold for several seconds and then , press the start. Hold the switch on for several seconds until it starts. It is a great addition to camping and you should get comfortable with it. When you need that power to turn on the microwave you will appreciate it.
All the best.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a man I can say I have felt fear a lot , but I think when it comes to fire that is one place I can say yes, yes,. It makes me very careful almost to a obsession. I have been to fire fighting school three times,I am sure you do fine.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, Dangers and precautions:

The major dangers with a generator are: Electrical dangers (Same exactly as with shore power) and Carbon Monoxide. if you have a good working CO detector.. Don't worry about it, those things are (Justly so) paranoid and will alarm long before you need worry.

Mine used to alarm 2 hours after firing the generator if parked, A Gen-Turi extension which I highly recommend for all, fixed it. About 100 bucks at camping world.. Some folks yammer about how they let the air conditioner "Suck in exhaust fumes" but, first, I have never seen it happen or heard of it happening and with the Gen-Turi I have done a few 25 hour runs on the generator.. V/s 2 hours without it. Yet they still claim dangers that do not exist. Can not site a single example but they still claim danger.

Oh well, and I'm diagnosed paranoid!!!!!

One suggestion on the generator though: ON the generator itself are very likely TWO circuit breakers. Find them, On mine it was hard to see if they were in the ON or OFF position so I broke out my Brother (P-Touch label maker) and added a much easier to see label on one side. (The off side in my case yours may be different, don't matter just so long as the lable is the proper one)

Propane... I grew up with LP gas for cooking and water heating, And once I got my own house insisted on Natural gas for cooking and heat. I am comfortble around Propane, Alas, I can't help you to become that way I can tell you that most of the fires and explosions are due to poor maintenance, Or other things like opening the door, smelling skunk (The aroma added to propane is essence of skunk) and lighting up a cancer stick. KABOOM (HINT: IF you smell the gas, DO NOT LIGHT ANYTHING, not even a light bulb.. Take a flashlight, go out to fresh air and turn it on, Then look for perhaps a stove valve that is not turned OFF< open windows and vents (DO NOT TURN ON FANS) and let it air out.

Many rigs have an Explosive Gas (Propane) Detector which not only alarms but shuts off the gas flow,,,, Mine does not (It just alarms) I rather like mine, but as I said, I grew up with the stuff
Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
kmesaaz--I'm the exact same way, especially about all the electrical systems in our RV. When I don't understand something, I'm afraid I'll mess it up! The good news is, as I learn more about it and become somewhat familiar, my stress level goes down. Also, I have been afraid to drive our moho...which is so totally out of character. I'm usually fearless and have always been able to drive ANYTHING, from a motorcycle to a farm tractor. For some reason, I have not been able to get "mentally prepared" to drive our RV.

Good luck to you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #12

If you haven't yet start it up and run it for an hour or so before you head out. Put a load on it such as the air conditioner or a space heater or two. If it doesn't work correctly or perform to your satisfaction you may be able to resolve the problems before you are in a dry camp area and needing the generator.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks a ton for the insight and encouragement! I feel a little less chicken now...

At this point, I am picking up the mh today and parking it our front of my house, while I sit around and read (again) the manuals. I'm even going to remove the access cover and check the oil! Then, I'm going to try and find the control switch and status indicator light. I have NO desire to start anything! I like the idea about finding the circuit breakers and labelling them, so I'm going work on that. I also need to check out the remote control inside the mh. Wow--I'm feeling brave now!

Tomorrow I am taking it in to a Cummins Onan dealer to have it serviced. That way, when I do start it up, it will work and I won't freak out! Thanks for that suggestion camperme2.

SarahW--the one thing I can do with confidence is DRIVE THE THING! Don't know why, but I'm thankful I can. I can even back it in and park. Strange, huh?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ok, Dangers and precautions:
Some folks yammer about how they let the air conditioner "Suck in exhaust fumes" but, first, I have never seen it happen or heard of it happening and with the Gen-Turi I have done a few 25 hour runs on the generator.. V/s 2 hours without it. Yet they still claim dangers that do not exist. Can not site a single example but they still claim danger.
While that is a common belief, those folks are very much mistaken.
The roof air on an RV does not take in outside air. They only recirculate the air inside the coach. The dashboard air conditioning can (depending on the setting) pull in outside air, but NOT the roof AC units.

Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote