Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2015, 01:35 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Chinese Goodyear Tires

Anyone know what year Goodyear started production of tires (for sale in the United States) in China?

CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 02:11 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Let me ask my question a little differently. I have Goodyear Wrangler ST tires on the Class C I recently bought. All 6 date codes are the same ... 1911. Does anyone know if these were made in the USA, or are they Chinese junk?

Old 09-19-2015, 02:32 AM   #3

I think you may have LT tires. Country should be on the sidewall, check inside and outside.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ooops, yes LT not ST.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:58 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok, finally found what I was looking for. FYI, China started producing Goodyear Truck tires in October 2012. They started with passenger vehicle tires a year earlier.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #6

Just wondering if people are writing these posts on "Chinese Junk" computers?
Old 09-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #7

I was told a few weeks ago all Carlisle tires are coming from china may of mis spell it they had been a good trailer tire this came up because I had been having some problems with them
Old 09-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftimer View Post
I was told a few weeks ago all Carlisle tires are coming from china may of mis spell it they had been a good trailer tire this came up because I had been having some problems with them
Would you like to buy a punctuation mark or two? Explain further please.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1. The tire factory that actually produced the tire (regardless of brand name) will be explicitly identified in the DOT code on the sidewall. The list of DOT codes and factories can be viewed at All the D.O.T. Tire Plant Codes

2. Making a tire in a Chinese factory doesn't necessarily make it "junk". It's the quality standards (or lack of them) that are enforced that make the difference. The same factory might produce some "junk" tires in one batch and some good ones, using Goodyear tire molds and GY supervisors and inspectors, in another batch. For that matter, some of the Chinese brands are now producing decent quality tires. It's just hard to know which is which.

3. Goodyear, and every other major tire manufacturer, has tire plants all over the world. Mostly plants of their own, but sometimes some contracted production capacity as well. A given model or size of tire might be made in a foreign plant, and another made in a US plant. GY has 5 car & truck tire plants in the USA, and several more that produce the rubber used in their tires, aircraft tires, or related chemicals used in tire production. Some in Canada, too.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are great tires made in China (Sailun). The main issue with China made tires is that they're brought in by some large importer and then sold as OEM equipment to RV manufacturers who are pinching pennies. They typically decline any defects and ask that you work directly with the importer - which sometimes works, sometimes does not. Goodyear is a reputable brand and even if you have an issue (we had one blow on a Class-C) getting it taken care of isn't hard as everyone carries Goodyear.

I agree, most of what is made out of China is suspect, but they CAN produce a good quality product with the proper amount of oversight.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #11

The end of the world is now here
Old 09-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #12

It's not that Chinese tires are going on RV's. They're also going on 100% of all new boat trailers on the retail market.

So many of people are protecting their second largest lifetime asset purchases with such poor quality tires.

Tags
tires