Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
I growl everytime I see your screen name posted. I went to NC State in Raleigh, so to me, "WOLFPACK" is semi-sacred. Probably is to you too, just a different team.

You don't have to growl Tom. I lived in NC and retired out of Fort Bragg. I loved NC then and was proud to call it home. Still love it today, it's just not home anymore. I'll root for any team from NC, especially NC State. They don't play in our Mountain West division though and since they'll never play University of Nevada, I'll always root for them. Cheers!

Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
About 3 years ago I bought our MH with extremely cracked tires on it. Had to drive about 60 miles on the freeway to get it home. Talk about a white-knuckle ride!
Anyway I bought 4 slightly used Bridgestones for the rear and 2 new Chinese tires for the front. Have probably 7,000 miles on them now. No wear showing, no cracking, still handles like when the tires were new.

leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have been running Cooper Roadmaster brand on my 10 wheelers for a number of years, and I think I have had 1 flat, caused by a bolt. other than that, 0 tire problems, I do a lot of tight turns and backing in drives when loaded to themax. Just bought 5 Roadmaster 17.5" for my 5er. So yes there is quality tires coming out of china.
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
^ I hope so. The motorhome I just bought has 6 brand new "made in China" tires...
2000 Winnebago Brave SE 31B
retmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #19
I expect that world renown companies that make tires in China will have specifications and inspections to make sure the finished product is as advertized.

Tires which are not known brand names, might carry some risk with them.

The chinese bought IBM's lap top divison and renamed it Lenovo, I havent heard bad things about it and my Apple I phone works reasonably well with no failures except by the cell provider.

I would not buy Chinese branded tools at all.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't care where the factory is located, but I want my tires made by a well-known company that has a reputation to uphold and a dealer network that can help me out if there is an unexpected problem. When Michelin (or Apple or Sony) operates a plant in China, I still get Michelin-quality tires with Michelin standing behind it, but when Ah-So-Good Tires imports tires from an unknown Chinese factory I have no idea what I'm getting, nor am I confident that I can find an Ah-So-Good representative if something goes sour. I'd rather not take the risk.

That doesn't mean I only buy top brand tires like Michlein, though. There are a dozen or so worldwide manufacturers that produce quality tires in factories around the world and are priced much lower. I'm currently running Continentals that are 2/3 the price of a Michelin or Goodyear. Some other excellent brands are Toyo, Hankook, Kumho, and Yokohoma. You can also save $ by buying Goodrich (a Michelin brand) instead of Michelin or Firestone (a Bridgestone brand) instead of Bridgestone. Or even by buying Bridgestone instead of Michelin or GY.
I was going to try Continental, but, even though their catalog listed 305/70 22.5's, they we not yet in production so I had to go with Michelin anyway. Have always used Michelin, and, up until I got a couple screws in Michelins with over 60,000 miles on them, I had never had so much as a flat tire with any of them. Only blow out I've ever had was a GoodYear on our '97 Jeep.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I put a set of Double Coins on my 34 footer, have over 10,000 in 3 years and seam to
be great. Bought from less Scwabb and I stop several time during any drive to have
pressure checked. Have them retorked also b4 heading out.

bjcarpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
My local Michelin dealer told me that Michelin tires made in China are only for the Chinese market. Could be tire salesman BS or could be true - just sayin'...

I recently bought new XRVs. Mine were also backordered, but arrived in about two weeks. Had DOT date codes of 1712 (17th week of 2012) and the DOT factory code indicated they were made in S. Carolina (B6). I read somewhere that all XRVs were made in either S. Carolina or Nova Scotia. Here's a link to plant codes. It must be out of date though because I don't see any China plants.

I also recently bought Hankook tires for my CR-V. They seem to be fine tires and relatively inexpensive. However, they are made in Korea, not China. They are OEM on some Ford products and highly rated by a certain consumer magazine.
'04 Journey 36G - Cat C7
'04 Honda CR-V
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #23

There are two things I will never scrimp on to save a few bucks. Tires and Brakes. All other malfunction just leave you stranded. Tires or brake failures can leave you dead. It's not worth the risk IMHO.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #24
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last year i bought 4 Roadmaster tires (255/70R22.5) for the back of my T/C.
THey look like very good tires. On the side it says "Engineered By Copper tire"
and Made in China. Good for the money, I think I paid $240 each.
This year I bought 2 new steer tires (275/70R22.5) because The old ones were OLD, cracked and too tall.
I bought Firestone 560Plus tires made in USA for $345 each. Just like the ones I bought last year I belive I got good tires for the money.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
I expect that world renown companies that make tires in China will have specifications and inspections to make sure the finished product is as advertized.

Tires which are not known brand names, might carry some risk with them.

The chinese bought IBM's lap top divison and renamed it Lenovo, I havent heard bad things about it and my Apple I phone works reasonably well with no failures except by the cell provider.

I would not buy Chinese branded tools at all.
How about the Goodrich recall !!!
Michelin manufactures BF Goodrich tires. After a business merger of Uniroyal and BF Goodrich Tire in the mid 1980s, Michelin purchased the Uniroyal-Goodrich Tire Co. in 1989, making it the largest tire company in the world

NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #26
I run Double Coin tires, after a five year trial of one Double Coin on the duels.

A fair amount of info on them on the web

I'm running their RR150 steer tire all around, 11R22.5's

USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #27
Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
^ I hope so. The motorhome I just bought has 6 brand new "made in China" tires...
Welcome to the club. The 5th wheel I just bought advertised 6 new tires. Never check them because they were new until I got it home. FreeStar tires made in china. I called my tire guy and he said they were one of the "good" ones made but I have my fingers crossed.

Put Continentals on my F-350 and so far they are holding up well with 12k on them pulling a 16,500 lb 5th.
Bill & Linda. If it doesn't move and should, WD-40 it. If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape it. F-350 dually, 40' Sunnybrook Titan toy hauler and custom Harley
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #28
I've had Coopers, Dunlops, Uniroyals, Firestones and Goodyears that were beyond garbage....so??

It all comes down to the tread and sidewall. I had a cheap set of no-name tires on my Coachmen when I bought it, and they hummed down the road like an old truck tire. I replaced them with a nicer no-name tire with a nice, smooth looking tread and heavy duty sidewall, and they were great!!!! I didn't put many miles on them though, because when the time came to change the rears, I couldn't buy matching tires...so I took the fronts off any sold them.

36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote