Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
I just replaced all 6 on mh. Orig size was 235/80/22.5, a difficult size to find & apparently only made by Michelin. I went with 255/70/22.5. Fronts are west lakes, purchased before recent 2400 mile trip. Rears are GT's purchased while on the trip. Liking them so far. Tire guy said they''re 16 ply rated. Sounds pretty sturdy to me.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
I have had more Goodyear tire failures than any other brand. From sidewall blowouts for no reason to half the tread flying off for no reason to cords shifting and splitting down the middle for no reason to wearing out a set of Eagles in less than 18,000 miles.

Back when we had our '78 Cruise Air, I had 2 Yokohama's do a cord-shift within a month, these were tires with 80% tread left. I replaced those with Michelins, one of which did the sidewall-bubble thing within a year.

2 years ago I drove our Allegro on a beach, and a twig from some dead beach bush poke a 1" hole in the sidewall of my Michelin. Out at our boat harbor is a brand new Michelin tire, a 19.5, sitting next to a tree in the north 40. Never been on a rim, but it's about 12 years old. The sidewalls are weather cracked so bad it's un-useable. As were the sidewalls of all the Michelin's on our Allegro that I just replaced. I put Samson's on the rears (China made) and Sumitomo's on the steers (Japanese made). Yeah, the ride is a snick stiffer, but I lost the constant bumping that I had up front, and the steering is WAY less 'squishy' than before. So far I'm more than pleased.

You guys can keep your Michelin's and Goodyears, I don't like 'em, and I certainly don't like their price.

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #31

In my opinion, it does not matter in what country the Name brand Tire Manufacturer makes his tire. It is made to their Corporate Standard & using the Corporate required materials & Corporate Quality Standards, then it will likely be a high quality tire. I would venture to say, from some long time personel experience, that a VERY high percentage of most tire failures, for whatever type of failure, are from tire age, under inflation, or overload conditions. The only time I had any tire failure issues on my trailers or tow vehicle were the tire manufacturers defect error & I have to say they stood behind their error & replaced all my tires & also payed for the repairs on my trailer. Now I have to admit I was very nice to them on the phone at the time, & discussed facts with facts to them & it all resulted in a good settlement for me & them. My experience has been, if you have any kind of issue with any product, it's usually the way you talk to anyone that will get you the most help. Calling ALL tires JUNK just because they are manufactured in China is not fair or in many case proper. JMHO

Reg.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
My MH had Double Coin from China when I bought it. They looked great, but couldn't read dates as mold was so poor. Almost killed me and whole family. Blowout on I-75 near Tampa. Took them all off and replaced all six.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
So, what caused the blow-out? just because they were made in China??
Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
I doubt that the blow out occured purely because the tires were made in China. Just my opinion. Overloaded? Improper pressure? Uneven loading?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
I doubt that the blow out occured purely because the tires were made in China. Just my opinion. Overloaded? Improper pressure? Uneven loading?
2X. Last weekend on my 500 mile trip pulling my 40' 5th at 60 -62 mph I had at least 12 5th's and TT pass me doing at least 75. Their ST tires are rated at 65 mph so it doesn't take a genius to figure out how long the tires will last no matter what brand they are.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HOLIDAY WORLD - KATY, TX installed Guardian all position new tires on steering axle of my coach before they delievered it to me.

I just in the past couple of weeks came to realize they put on 16 ply Load Range (LR) H tires, which is NOT what Fleetwood specs require. Yes, they are thicker/higher rated tires, but they also provide a harsher truck-like ride too.

I am not happy with the fact that 18 months later I figured all this out, I could have complained back then, but didn't know anything then either.

The Guardians are Chinese made tires, too but, they seem to be wearing very well and working out fine, despite their being the wrong load range.

I am replacing my four rear duallys, now 10 year old excellent shape no cracked, no checked, Goodyear G670s with Michelin XRV's. With all the bad news about the Michelins cracking and checking sidewalls, I'll sure be keeping them covered and exercised to get the longest life out of them possible.

But the Guardians have 4,000 miles on them and as I said, seem to be doing ok. I am sure they were cheap cheap cheap and that's why the dealer installed them over a decent load range F rv tire.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why are people always looking to buy other tires. What do you think you'll save? 25 50 bucks a tire? We purchased a set of TOYO's a couple of year ago. Had a blow out and guess what couldn't find any one who service the tire in Alabama. They rode hard, were noisy and we ended up replacing them with Goodyears. When traveling are you going to find a TOYO dealer in Wyo or Nevada? Most RV'ers run tires 5 to 7 years. A 500 dollar tire real cost spread over 5 yrs is nothing. 5 yrs (1875 days) is only 26 cents per day. I'm no fan of any tire company, but I want SERVICE when it is needed. Sticking with Michlins or goodyears gives me the confort of knowing that I can find it even in the boonies.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
More like $100-$200 a tire... If i really wanted, I can buy some Samsons at close to $400 per tire less than Michelins...

Oh, and those Goodyears have had a bad rep lately too.. ever hear of 'rivering'?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
When traveling are you going to find a TOYO dealer in Wyo or Nevada?
If you need tire help in Nevada, let me know. Reno is home and there are several places that can help you out. One in particular that is awesome.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #40

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chinese Off Brand Truck Tires Are NOT the same size!

I am replacing my rear MH tires, 10 year old excellent condition GV670 Goodyears, they look fantastic, no checking, cracking, nothing. BUT, I am replacing them because of the age.

So I began looking closer at the 2011 dealer install before they delivered it to me front tires, Guardian, 245 70 r19.5 Load Range H (LR H) since I had all the wheel covers off and shined up for the new tires. I was gonna leave the new front tires on the coach for a year or two, despite the Load Range being two steps higher than FW Specs. But then I started looking at the difference between the GY's on the back and these Guardians on the front, and I could visually see the Guardians were taller, the sidewall was bigger than the sidewalls on the GY's. In other words, the diameter was about 3" - 4" bigger and the circumference I'm not a geometry major, but I know it's bigger than what's supposed to be on there. I've attached pictures. The tape measure might have been off a max of 1/2 inch from the outside of the rim, but still I saw anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5 " difference. That's a lot in my book.

I talked to my Tire Guy early this morning about it and he said he'd never heard of Guardian before, but that he KNEW for a fact some of those Chinese tires were as much as 2" bigger in diameter than the standard name brand tires. So I went out and measured how much bigger they were than the GY's on the back. ALMOST 2" bigger in diameter (sidewall).!!!

I asked him, is that the difference in the load range of the tire, the rear tires are the Specd LR F (12 ply) and these Guardians are LR H (16 ply). He said no, that should make no difference on the diameter/circumference of the tire. I don't know that to be a fact, but its what he told me.

Since I bought the MH, it has always had a squirmy feel on the highway, far worse than I think it should have been on grooved or indented highways, almost scary jumping sometimes. Well, obviously with the front tires being bigger and not the same tread pattern as the rear tires, there is a definite contributing factor to that squirminess.

So I made the decision to replace those front Guardian tires too. All six new tires. I wasn't wanting to spend that much money, but it is what it is..... Michelin XRV 245 70 R19.5 LR-F . Rick's Tire here in Arlington (Michelin dealer) will order two more today (I went through the FMCA/Michelin discount program) and I'll wait to have them all put on Friday.

Just wanted to share this bit of information with y'all. Its important to me because I don't think people are aware of this. Something else to watch out for when replacing tires with non-rv tires is the load range of the tire too. My coach manufacturer clearly calls for LR-F and most of the truck tires or non-rv tires out there are LR-G or LR-H in my size. That combined with the added 2" to the circumference of the tire on the ones that are on mine makes it a double whammy.

Top pic is the Guardians on the front. Bottom pic is the Goodyears on the back. It's kind hard to see the Guardians look like they are only 6 but the angle of the camera distorts the 7+ inch I found all around the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-06_07-13-14_346.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	28801   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-06_07-14-22_86.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	28802  

Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #41

Where is ricks tire I'm at 360 and 303 I'm always needing tire work
Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Where is ricks tire I'm at 360 and 303 I'm always needing tire work
360 and Abrams. He's on the east side of 360 about 1/2 mile east on Abrams.

http://www.rickstireservice.com/

They have a fleet of mobile units. 8 or 10 I think. They service the Tarrant Co/Arlington police tires, ambulance, fire/paramadedic too. Good guys. Call and ask for Dewayne. Tell him Kent sent you!

Tags
tires