Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Did i show you these already? They are 12ply..

Sumitomo ST 718 245/70R19.5 F/12PR - tires-easy.com

http://simpletire.com/goodyear-lt245...39415205-tires

http://simpletire.com/michelin-lt245....5-67140-tires

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With several years behind me of using Chinese components for manufacturing. I believe the words Chinese and Tires should never appear in the same sentence.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #59

iRV2 No Limits Club
Virtually all RV tires are Chinese made and a lot of them fail catastrophically. Check the Good Sam tire survey, large enough to be very statistically significant http://blog.goodsamclub.com/wp-conte...ireSurvey5.pdf
Note that 46% of the failures are blowouts. Failures should be reported to the NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq If the do not know the extent of the problem they do not do anything!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Virtually all RV tires are Chinese made and a lot of them fail catastrophically. Check the Good Sam tire survey, large enough to be very statistically significant http://blog.goodsamclub.com/wp-conte...ireSurvey5.pdf
Note that 46% of the failures are blowouts. Failures should be reported to the NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq If the do not know the extent of the problem they do not do anything!
What I find significate, and enough to pretty much invalidate most of it, is that 55% of the motorized RV owners had NO CLUE WHAT LOAD RANGE tire they had! Yet they want to blame the tire...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Virtually all RV tires are Chinese made

Are you sure about that? That is a very scary thought .
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #62

I am a retired engineer from Caterpillar so I consider myself being fairly knowledgeable on how to torque bolts and check air pressure on tires. Will we had a catastrophic tire failure on RT 80 in Gibbon NE; this is right after we had left the camp ground 10 miles down the road. Before we left the campground I had check the air pressure in all the tires including the spare to make sure they were set at 80 PSI and checked the wheel nut torques. We had sat for two days before heading west again so they needed to be check.
When the tire failure occur I was traveling at 55MPH since there was a slight ground fog that morning, normal speed is 60 to 65 MPH. Since we are retired I do not care how long it takes to get there as long as we get there. The tires were on a 2010 318SAB Cougar and were ST235X80R16 from a Chinese manufacture.
My tires are now Michelins XPS RIBS LT245/75R/16E on the trailer. I will never buy another trailer without Michelin tires on that trailer.
Jim W.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #63

MIDNITEOYL,

So what you seem to be hinting at, that it's quite possibly NOT the soul responsibility of the tire/chassis/house manufacture for blow outs? That it could possibly be the owner/driver ignorance of their 20,000-70,000 lb vehicle and its components that cause the tires to explode? That it may be because of incorrect tire size/ load ratings, over/under inflation, over heating of tires due to going faster than tires speed rating or over braking? Are you implying that there may be a larger contributing factor than the name/origin of the tire?

That's just crazy talk....
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDoggin View Post
MIDNITEOYL,

So what you seem to be hinting at, that it's quite possibly NOT the soul responsibility of the tire/chassis/house manufacture for blow outs? That it could possibly be the owner/driver ignorance of their 20,000-70,000 lb vehicle and its components that cause the tires to explode? That it may be because of incorrect tire size/ load ratings, over/under inflation, over heating of tires due to going faster than tires speed rating or over braking? Are you implying that there may be a larger contributing factor than the name/origin of the tire?

Silly me..
Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
I'm missing the problem on the load range...
Cannot for the life of me see why a higher than spec load range could possible be bad.
Course I've been on the receiving end of 2 goodyear 19.5" tire blowouts, so maybe I'm gunshy, but i"ll take a possibly rougher ride in exchange for a for sure heavier duty safer tire.

I've had very good results with toyo and sumitomo tires.

Trailer tires just plain suck. They are the cheapest nastiest crap that any company could figure out how to manufacture. My boat used to blow trailer tires EVERY outing b(I dint use it as much as I should.)

If you run a pull behind, TT or fiver and you actually put some miles on it, replace your tires and rims and run 16" LT tires.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #66

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, the Sumitomos would be the one to get, but for another 40 each, I got the Michelins here at 350 The Sumis would have been around 320-330, I went ahead with the Michelin RV tire. The Goodyear l245 tread is not a good ribbed summer radial for MH. But the Sumis are. And of course that XRV Michelin is the real deal and specifically designed for the MH and you know the rest...blah blah blah.

Thanks Jim!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #67

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDoggin View Post
MIDNITEOYL,

I agree! All those things are factors in every tire failure. No matter what or where it came from.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #68

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been on the Teardrop & Tiny Travel Trailer forum for a number of years and a number of individuals have experienced blow outs. These are grossly under loaded tires, all were carrying less than half their rated capacity. In a couple of cases a good bit of damage was done. As a direct result I replaced the tires on our teardrop with Micheline Harmony all weather passenger tires. The tires run at half their rated capacity and have a warranty that is worth something.
In talking with a Goodyear tire exec that I know from church he indicated that "Chinese tires are crap". The last time I had a passenger car tire fail catastrophically was about 30 years ago. Part of that I feel is that NHTSA keeps track of failures and we tend to complain a lot when they start getting fatal.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #69

I haven't had to purchase new tires for our MH yet but this discussion IS interesting for many reasons:

1. How many people just don't repurchase tires that were on the MH in the first place, i.e., manufacturer recommended

2. How many people automatically jump to the lowest price to get that 'deal'.

3. The number of former retired military folk who are ok with purchasing Chinese made products

What I wonder is how many of folks that fall under categories 2 & 3 are the same who complain that American doesn't make any products anymore; or who complain that Wal-Mart is killing America?

I can honestly say this - when I'm going down the Interstate riding in a house I don't even want to have to worry that a tire is going to blow and if that costs me an extra amount so be it - it's a lot cheaper than having the MH in the repair center for weeks at a time.

BTW living in Florida I'm familiar with Chinese dry-wall. I've had a relative who experienced the Chinese toothpaste in the past and of course read about the Chinese lead toys as well. Fool me once shame on you - fool me twice shame on me!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I have been on the Teardrop & Tiny Travel Trailer forum for a number of years and a number of individuals have experienced blow outs. These are grossly under loaded tires, all were carrying less than half their rated capacity. In a couple of cases a good bit of damage was done. As a direct result I replaced the tires on our teardrop with Micheline Harmony all weather passenger tires. The tires run at half their rated capacity and have a warranty that is worth something.
In talking with a Goodyear tire exec that I know from church he indicated that "Chinese tires are crap". The last time I had a passenger car tire fail catastrophically was about 30 years ago. Part of that I feel is that NHTSA keeps track of failures and we tend to complain a lot when they start getting fatal.
sigh..

The problem was NOT the Chinese tires, per say, but that they were TRAILER tires. You finally put on PASSENGER CAR tires and they are holding up. Same thing here on this forum when people get rid of the TRAILER tires and put on LIGHT TRUCK tires...

And, ask theat Goodyear man where THEIR trailer tires are made..

Tags
tires