Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #71

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
I haven't had to purchase new tires for our MH yet but this discussion IS interesting for many reasons:

1. How many people just don't repurchase tires that were on the MH in the first place, i.e., manufacturer recommended

2. How many people automatically jump to the lowest price to get that 'deal'.

3. The number of former retired military folk who are ok with purchasing Chinese made products

What I wonder is how many of folks that fall under categories 2 & 3 are the same who complain that American doesn't make any products anymore; or who complain that Wal-Mart is killing America?

I can honestly say this - when I'm going down the Interstate riding in a house I don't even want to have to worry that a tire is going to blow and if that costs me an extra amount so be it - it's a lot cheaper than having the MH in the repair center for weeks at a time.

BTW living in Florida I'm familiar with Chinese dry-wall. I've had a relative who experienced the Chinese toothpaste in the past and of course read about the Chinese lead toys as well. Fool me once shame on you - fool me twice shame on me!
I am one of the 2&3 people who dont think Walmart is killing America.. What does being a Vet have to do with that anyways???

If you wish to pay extra for piece of mind, or to help America, or whatever, thats absolutely your right. Thats what I fought for..

Look, are Chinese tires the best? Prolly not. But, just because they are Chinese does not mean they will automatically kill you. Every tire brand has their problems, and every tire brand has blown at one time or another. Simply calling all Chinese tires 'junk' does no good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #72

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I am one of the 2&3 people who dont think Walmart is killing America.. What does being a Vet have to do with that anyways???

If you wish to pay extra for piece of mind, or to help America, or whatever, thats absolutely your right. Thats what I fought for..

Look, are Chinese tires the best? Prolly not. But, just because they are Chinese does not mean they will automatically kill you. Every tire brand has their problems, and every tire brand has blown at one time or another. Simply calling all Chinese tires 'junk' does no good.
I found many times using the words 'all' 'never' 'always' and absolutes like that usually get me into trouble. For all I know, my Michelins are made in China. It seems most things are these days.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'll only share my experience and what I've seen in many years on RV forums.

1. The OEM Chinese tires supplied on a number of 5th wheels do appear to have unacceptably high failure rates. Because of that, I've never used them.

2. The tire failures I've experienced have been with OEM U.S.-made Goodyear tires - Marathons on our 1996 30' 5th wheel and G614 RSTs on our current 5th wheel.

3. When I've changed out RV tires, I've gone to Michelins - XPS Ribs on our previous 2000 36' 5th wheel and XTAs on our current 5th wheel. I've never had a problem or failure with any of our Michelin tires.

For what it's worth - YMMV......

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #74

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty, always good to hear another positive experience of Michelins.

There is another thread a guy only had 3.5 year old new Michelins on his Monaco (they were not Michelin RV specific tires, they were more for local truck, I think they were XZE Michelins) and they were cracking and checking and Michelin will not warranty any of its tires against cracking and checking during the 5 year warranty period. He was very upset and I don't blame him about spending 4k on tires and 4 years later they are falling apart.

I haven't had a Michelin tire in my lifetime fail me yet. Knock on wood.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #75

iRV2 No Limits Club
The Goodyear exec did mention that the Marathons made in China are "crap". The NTSHA has a list of country of origin for tires.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
The Goodyear exec did mention that the Marathons made in China are "crap". The NTSHA has a list of country of origin for tires.
Now that we agree on... Except, the Marathons made in the USA are also crap

Tags
tires