Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Chinese Made RV Tires

I'd be interested in hearing from folks that have purchased off brand, Chinese made tires for their motor home.
  • Have you had unexpected premature failures?
  • Do the tires seem to dry rot/crack prematurely?
  • Does the tread wear down much faster than a a comparable top branded tire?
  • Does it take an excessive amount of weight to get them balance?
Here's a list of some well known brands of tire companies that have shifted manufacturing to China to cut costs and maintain market share. Toyo, Cooper, Pirelli, Michelin and Goodyear.

Please no replies of "You get what you pay for". It's not true of everything that comes out of China. The ipad & iphone are made in China. I would prefer replies from tire professionals or folks with first hand experience.

My situation is, that within a couple of months the motor home needs tires. Within the year the car and pick-up will need tires. Two vacations are coming in August and December. Far from broke or poor, but I've got to save where I can this year.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #2

UMMmmm - you mean you want REAL and knowledgeable replies - not rhetoric and meaningless cliches?

MAN, what a spoil-sport...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
UMMmmm - you mean you want REAL and knowledgeable replies - not rhetoric and meaningless cliches?

MAN, what a spoil-sport...
Yeah John. Sorry to dissapoint.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
I'd be interested in hearing from folks that have purchased off brand, Chinese made tires for their motor home.
  • Have you had unexpected premature failures?
  • Do the tires seem to dry rot/crack prematurely?
  • Does the tread wear down much faster than a a comparable top branded tire?
  • Does it take an excessive amount of weight to get them balance?
Here's a list of some well known brands of tire companies that have shifted manufacturing to China to cut costs and maintain market share. Toyo, Cooper, Pirelli, Michelin and Goodyear.

Please no replies of "You get what you pay for". It's not true of everything that comes out of China. The ipad & iphone are made in China. I would prefer replies from tire professionals or folks with first hand experience.

My situation is, that within a couple of months the motor home needs tires. Within the year the car and pick-up will need tires. Two vacations are coming in August and December. Far from broke or poor, but I've got to save where I can this year.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Michelin makes tires in the US and many other countries. (our MH OEM tires were made in Spain)
Quote:

Michelin North America, Inc.

Michelin North America operates in the United States, Canada and Mexico with headquarter operations and plants in each country. This demonstrates Michelin’s long-term strategy of being close to its customers.

U.S. Operations

Michelin North America is a $7.25 billion dollar a year company operating 18 plants in 16 locations and employs 22,270 people. It manufactures and sells tires for airplanes, automobiles, farm equipment, heavy duty trucks, motorcycles, bicycles and the space shuttle. Michelin manufactures tires in six states: Alabama, Indiana, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Carolina and South Carolina. In addition, there are three plants in Nova Scotia, Canada and one plant in Queretaro, Mexico. Two plants specialize in the manufacturing of semi-finished goods taking raw materials and turning them into components for the plants that produce tires and one plant strictly produces synthetic rubber. Finished goods are produced in sixteen plants, two sites produce retreads for the trucking and one site produces retreads for the aircraft industry. Michelin Maps and Guides also produce road atlases, road maps and travel guides for all the major cities in North America.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Michelin makes tires in the US and many other countries. (our MH OEM tires were made in Spain)
Copy pasted From the Michelin China web site.

MICHELIN Group, one of the top Fortune 500 companies is the world leader in tire technology and innovation. Michelin has established more than 68 factories worldwide and its business covers more than 170 countries, has about 115,755 employees. With its fast business growth in China, Michelin has established two plants in Shanghai and Shenyang, a Research & Development Centre and head office in Shanghai as well as sales offices in Xian, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Shenyang, Shanghai and representative office in Hongkong since 1988. Till now, we count approximately 5500 employees in P.R.C

World class company without a doubt. That's what's on the motorhome now and my tire guy told me today that Michelin is the only company that makes my original size of 235 80 22.5. Just not in the price range.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
A few years ago, the HD pickup I bought from a friend had heavy 10 ply rated tires that were of Chinese manufacture; I don't remember the brand name. With more than 50% tread a rear completely blew out while running empty. The tread destroyed the sheet metal. My friend is meticulous about tire pressure and such so I sincerely doubt tire maintenance was an issue.

In my opinion, I would prefer an American tire of quality manufacture, but I'd take a quality tire of foreign manufacture over an American tire of questionable reputation. In other words just because it's American doesn't mean it's not going to fail and just because it's Chinese doesn't mean it will fail. For example when I lived in the Southwest, Cooper was only importing trailer tires, the rest of their line was still American made. Those tires (and the tires they manufactured for other companies) were infamous for blowing out on heavy pickups on the freeways in the summer heat. I might run Coopers on a car, but not on a truck. (To Cooper's credit they had a good reputation for replacing the tires and repairing the damage to the truck.)

Another example of the quality of tires as regards brand names and American manufacture: On my pickups I've had two blow-outs. Both were on American made tires by big name American companies. Both also happened to be OEM tires. Because of this I wouldn't run OEM Michelins -- even though they're Michelins.

The Cooper experience is now years old and may no longer apply. I suspect the OEM experience is still valid. I share these experiences to illustrate a point. Do the research on the tire and yeah, you do tend to get what you pay for (sorry).

Edit: Hey, regarding your car and pickup needing tires, I've been very pleased with Costco's prices, quality of tires, and their service is acceptable -- better than most tire places probably. Lately it's been the only reason we keep the membership. Watch for $70 off coupons.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #7

My local tire dealer (is also a cargo, utility, gooseneck trailer dealer) suggested a brand called Hi-Run from China when I needed new tires two years ago; they have been in the 115 degree heat of Palo Duro Canyon in Texas and the snows of Ohio, and have performed flawless. They have logged just under 4000 miles of road time since installed. I think the key to any tire you choose is having a good local tire dealer that you trust. It is in their best interest to look out for you with good advice and products
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #8

On our truck, we run Firestone Transforce HT's and they have performed excellent; smooth ride, quiet, and excellent tread wear; at about 42K on them they started "feathering" a little, so I contacted a Firestone engineer (there is a Bridgestone-Firestone Plant about 10 miles from me) and talked with him about the issue. At his suggestion we installed new shocks and rotated the tires, and in a few weeks of travel, the feathering "balanced out" and was no longer a problem. We will be replacing these tires around the first of next year; currently, they have 59K on them and still look and perform great. Firestone will be the replacement tire in the spring.........
Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
I think the key to any tire you choose is having a good local tire dealer that you trust. It is in their best interest to look out for you with good advice and products
Agreed. I replaced Michelins with off brand tires, I believe Dynatrack or something like that at my tire dealers recommendation. He also carries Goodyear and Michelins. He said that he had put them on many motorhomes everyone had liked them. I have had them about a year now and have about 3500 miles on them and love them. You just can't beat 1500.00 installed for 6 of them.
David
Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I don't care where the factory is located, but I want my tires made by a well-known company that has a reputation to uphold and a dealer network that can help me out if there is an unexpected problem. When Michelin (or Apple or Sony) operates a plant in China, I still get Michelin-quality tires with Michelin standing behind it, but when Ah-So-Good Tires imports tires from an unknown Chinese factory I have no idea what I'm getting, nor am I confident that I can find an Ah-So-Good representative if something goes sour. I'd rather not take the risk.

That doesn't mean I only buy top brand tires like Michlein, though. There are a dozen or so worldwide manufacturers that produce quality tires in factories around the world and are priced much lower. I'm currently running Continentals that are 2/3 the price of a Michelin or Goodyear. Some other excellent brands are Toyo, Hankook, Kumho, and Yokohoma. You can also save $ by buying Goodrich (a Michelin brand) instead of Michelin or Firestone (a Bridgestone brand) instead of Bridgestone. Or even by buying Bridgestone instead of Michelin or GY.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just put a new set of Atlas chinese made tires on our 37' Southwind and have put over 5000 miles on them. At first they were a little rigid and took a couple minutes to "round out", but once they were warmed up they were great. The tread is wearing evenly and they have very good traction (wet grass, mud, and snow). I feel they are a decent-good tire, but I must say that I am always a little leary when i'm on the highway only because of the negativity that surrounds chinese tires.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #12

I growl everytime I see your screen name posted. I went to NC State in Raleigh, so to me, "WOLFPACK" is semi-sacred. Probably is to you too, just a different team.

Now, for your post, sorry I don't have any solid data for you. My MH had fairly old Goodyear tires that looked good, but one blew out when I was taking it home from the lot I bought it from. I limped into a tire store and was quoted on exact replacements as well as a lower grade offering. I asked about an upgrade and the dealer suggested "DOUBLE COIN" as a well respected brand that gets used a lot on RVs. The tires are from China, but do seem to be good quality. I got them, and there seems to be no problem so far.

That's the best I can offer.

Tom
Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nevada Wolf Pack was originally called the Sagebrushers, after the Nevada state flower. In 1923 they became the Wolf Pack. University of Nevada was established in 1874, located in Reno. UNLV was established in 1951.

Back on topic, I agree with the "trusted dealer" advice. I just bought a set of Hancook tires, the local dealer is using these on their fleet of big rig wreckers. Nevada sun and arid climate dries out tires and, I've been told, Michelin tires dry out and crack sooner than other brands. I'll let you know how the Hancooks fare in 6-7 years.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
It's my perception some of these Chinese brand tires come and go. I have never heard of Hi-Run. I didn't have time to look for the other brands mentioned. On the web, I could find almost no customer review information on Hi-Runs. What I did find was on car-and-safety.com I got eight pages of results for "Hi-Run". On the first page, this is what was what I found relevant:

GOODYEAR 100015 9999 Safety and Reliability Reviews By Consumers
"THE CONTACT OWNS A 2006 SUNNYBROOK TITAN 5TH WHEEL TRAILER WITH HI-RUN BCTJL42, SIZE ST235/80R/15 TIRES (NA). THE REPLACEMENT TIRES WERE PURCHASED IN 2009. WHILE DRIVING IN CRUISE AT 58 MPH HE STATED HE HAD A BLOW OUT AT THE LEFT REAR AXLE TIRE. HE CHANGED THE TIRE WITH A SPARE AND LATER HAD ANOTHER BLOW OUT WITH THE RIGHT REAR TIRE. THE CONTACT STATED HE HAD TO WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO BRING HIM A TIRE. HE STATED THAT WHEN THE TIRES BLEW THEY DAMAGE THE UNDER CARRIAGE OF TRAILER. THE CONTACT WAS UNABLE TO PROVIDE A VIN. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGE WERE 3,000"

HALLMARK HR7814 9999 Safety and Reliability Reviews By Consumers
"HAULMARK TRAILER WITH HI-RUN LQ229 TIRES SIZE 205/75/D15 TIRES WORE OUT IN LESS THAN 3000 MILES. ALTHOUGH INFLATED PROPERLY A LARGE BUBBLE DEVELOPED ON THE SIDE OF THE TIRE. THE BUBBLE BURST SOON AFTER DEVELOPING BUT THE TIRE STILL HELD AIR. BOTH TIRES WERE REMOVED AND REPLACED TO PREVENT A LIKELY BLOWOUT. CLOSER INSPECTION OF THE TREAD SHOWED THE TIRE THAT DID NOT HAVE THE BUBBLE HAD WORN ALMOST ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BELTS ON THE INSIDE EDGE OF THE TREAD. NOT SURE IF THIS WAS BECAUSE OF TRAILER AXLE ALIGNMENT OR INTERNAL DEFECT OF THE TIRE."

GMC 2500 HD 2001 Safety and Reliability Reviews By Consumers"THE CONTACT OWNS A 2001 GMC 2500 HD TRUCK EQUIPPED WITH BCT HI-RUN TIRES, TIRE SIZE 275/245/75/16/ (N/A), DOT NUMBER: UNKNOWN. THE CONTACT WAS DRIVING 60 MPH WHEN THE VEHICLE EXHIBITED A LOUD NOISE. THE CONTACT MOVED THE VEHICLE FROM THE ROADWAY AND UPON FURTHER INSPECTION, FOUND THAT THE REAR DRIVER SIDE TIRE WAS BLOWN. THE CONTACT STATED THAT HE HAD EXPERIENCED FOUR TIRE BLOW OUTS WHEN THE SAME BRAND OF TIRE ON FOUR SEPARATE VEHICLES. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE MECHANIC, BUT THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOT CONTACTED. THE TIRE WAS REPLACED WITH A SPARE BY THE CONTACT. THE FAILURE MILEAGE FOR THE TIRE WAS 12,000."

HK AM01 9999 Safety and Reliability Reviews By Consumers
"THE CONTACT OWNS A 2009 HAULMARK TRAILER EQUIPPED WITH HI-RUN TIRES. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE VEHICLE EXPERIENCED A TOTAL OF 3 TIRE BLOWOUTS WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 65 MPH. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT TAKEN TO HAVE THE FAILURE DIAGNOSED BUT THE TIRES WERE REPLACED. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGES WERE UNKNOWN. THE VIN WAS UNAVAILABLE. .HK AM01 9999 problem was reported in HILLSBOROUGH, NJ. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. TIRE SIZE: * 235/80R16 . TYPE OF TIRE FAILURE CODE: BLOWOUT."

EXISS HORSE TRAILER 2005 Safety and Reliability Reviews By Consumers
"EXISS HORSE TRAILER 2005 car safety problem was reported on Aug 19, 2007.EXISS HORSE TRAILER 2005, manufactured by EXISS ALUMINUM TRAILERS, INC. had a problem with TIRES:TREAD/BELT . TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2006 UNIVERSAL EXISS (NA). THE VEHICLE CAME EQUIPPED WITH HI-RUN TIRES, SIZE G235/85/R16 (NA). THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE TWO FRONT TIRES BLEW OUT. HE NOTICED THAT THE THIRD TIRE HAD SEVERE TREAD SEPARATION AND HE COULD SEE THE BELT AND A BULGE IN THE TIRE. THE CONTACT HAS PICTURES OF THE TIRES THAT CAN BE FOUND AT http://RIDES.WEBSHOTS.COM/ALBUM/560403292KEOOJN. THE TIRE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 10,000."

Sorry for the all caps, that was cut and paste.

Tags
tires