Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #1

Chipmunks inside rear wall and ceiling

We have a problem and are not sure how to fix it. Something is getting inside our 5th wheel rear wall and ceiling between the ceiling and roof. We think it is chipmunks as they are the only wildlife we see around here.

I can see how they may be getting in. At the rear corners, looking from underneath I can see there is a gap between the rear fiberglass shell and the inner wall where they can easily get up to the gap between the ceiling and the roof. I have some spray/expanding insulation and some 1/4" hardware cloth I can use to close it up. I don't want to do that until I am reasonably sure I am not going to trap any of them up there, I bet that will smell good in the coming weeks.

We were told Bounce laundry sheets will chase them out as they don't like the smell. We bought a box of them as well as a can of rodent/pest deterrent from Home Depot. We removed all the overhead lights and put a bunch of both in the ceiling and a bunch where we think they come in at the rear corners. The critters don't seem to mind the stuff as we had at least one in the ceiling last night.

I have set up three cage traps near the back of the trailer and have caught three chipmunks in three days. My concern with this is I don't know if I am catching the ones going inside or am I attracting more of them to my camper.

So, on to the question. Does anyone have any ideas?

One more thing. I talked to several of the pest control companies in the area. They want nothing to do with campers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #2

Never delt with chipmonks,,, But many here believe in Irish Spring soap. We are trying that this year for mice. Never had a problem in the rv, but of course they are everywhere. DW cut some up in small chunks, put it in small cloth bags, and I have them in the storage, cabinets, on top of tires,, etc... Hey at the least it smells "fresh" ....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Try a few dryer sheets. Some people throw them around inside their coach when winterizing. Mainly for mice, but maybe their rodent cousins won’t like them either. Stuff a couple up in the cracks and see if they skedaddle.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #4

I haven’t thought about the Irish Spring soap, I may do that.

We have tried a bunch of the dryer sheets, they didn’t help.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Two words: Corn Snake...

Just kidding - an old neighbor of mine had a problem with squirrels eating up his plums and he got a product from the local Pest Stop store that contained lynx (or maybe bobcat) urine. He sprayed some of that around the tree and the problem was solved...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #6

I finally talked to a pest guy who was at least willing to give me some advice. He suggested I seal it up as I was thinking but add a one way door so they can get out but not get in. After I am sure they are all out I can remove the one way door and seal it up. This is my plan to get done in the next few days.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #7

Moth balls will discourage most pests,when i lay the car up for the summer i put them all around in the car and the trunk and also under the hood and never see any droppings in the spring. Don
oldiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #8

My dad put moth balls around and under the hood but the squirrels ate the wires
Old 10-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
I finally talked to a pest guy who was at least willing to give me some advice. He suggested I seal it up as I was thinking but add a one way door so they can get out but not get in. After I am sure they are all out I can remove the one way door and seal it up. This is my plan to get done in the next few days.
Be prepared for them to chew up the outside trying to get back in. If you can make some sort of metal shroud it can help.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #10

We think we may finally have this under control. It wasn't chipmunks after all. They were all outside along with one rat. Mice moved inside. We covered/filled all the exterior holes with aluminum sheet metal, hardware cloth, and pest blocker expanding foam so nothing else can get in. We then gained access to the basement and ceiling areas by removing trim pieces and set some traps. We used both medium and small snap traps as well as sticky traps. I think we counted eight mice in three days and nothing in the last four or five days. We are going to keep traps out for the winter as well as keep an eye on the patch work we did to make sure none of them or anything else is chewed on.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #11

I once found a mouse nest full of mothballs.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I once found a mouse nest full of mothballs.
Oh my lol
Old 11-19-2017, 04:04 AM   #13

Regular traps can be hit or miss. Google "5 gallon bucket mouse trap" ....it's simple effective and does not require you to check it daily. I have used one and it works like a charm.

I do however really like the Corn Snake suggestion...

Now, once you get rid of them I suggest a outside cat or two if possible. We have 3 down at my shop where the Coach lives and don't have any rodent problems.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I suggest a outside cat or two if possible. We have 3 down at my shop where the Coach lives and don't have any rodent problems.
That's what we do.
I have three feral cats I take care of.
I provide a warm place to sleep, food and water.
Trapped them and had them fixed and vaccinations.
They brought me a mouse the other day to day thank you.

Tags
ceiling