Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Had a good chip with a small crack - called Progressive who sent out SafeLite. Fortunately, they sent a repair tech that specialized in RV/large windshields. He did a fantastic job of evacuating the area with a vacuum attachment then pressurized injection of the sealant - quite a contraption - I can not and challenge others to find the chip/crack. Previous fixes to my car and truck windshields over the years never have I seen such a perfect repair. He did state that there was a risk when in injected the sealant under pressure of cracking the windshield more, but he would do his best and had a great track record. He also had me hold a cover over the windshield area to keep it out of the hot sun while he completed the repair. Needless to say - I gave him a nice tip!!
AZCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I've had one windshield replaced and four chips repaired.

I bought a kit and did one repair myself...didn't come out so well and won't do it myself again.

The repair guys all said it was very important to get it repaired as soon as possible because the material inside the windshield deteriorates as time goes on.

They said within a couple days at most. I paid about $50 to have my chips fixed.

Ditto - the regular glass dude with the big fancy truck and all his goodies came out and did 2 of my dings for $60 all in. no-brainer it and just do it; the cost isn't worth the brain fuel to ponder IMO.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #17

Just had one repaired but it didn't turn out well. No charge, insurance took care of it. Tech said that I would never have to accept a repair my insurance would pay for a new windshield. I asked about possible leaks after a new windshield install and he said that is a thing of the past and it is extremely rare to have a leak.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Safelite repair twice in two years. Different shop locations but both times on our route.
In and out in less than an hour. They handled the insurance and it was free to me. Both times it was a passing dump truck with a load of gravel with a sign that said "Do Not Follow Within 300 feet".... Whatsyasupposetodo?
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Most insurance companies I've dealt with , have a special Glass repair section , when you call them .. Their claim number ( mine is s 24 hour number) They will gladly send someone to you or find a place even on the weekend in some cases , to repair for no cost to you . They hope they don't have to replace a over 1,000. Windshield. If the repair doesn't work you pay your glass deductible and get a new window. No reason to wait as the crack will grow and be non repairable
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
I used a repair kit around 30 years ago and the repair was almost invisible. Around 15 years ago, my insurance company had a chip repaired and I wound up making them replace the windshield. The dolts that did the repair ground a small crater into the windshield to enhance penetration of the resin but left the crater and claimed they couldn't fill it. The sharp edges of that crater would have wrecked the windshield wiper in short order. That was the last time I let anyone do a repair. I get a crack or a chip, the insurance company replaces the windshield.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I used a repair kit around 30 years ago and the repair was almost invisible. Around 15 years ago, my insurance company had a chip repaired and I wound up making them replace the windshield. The dolts that did the repair ground a small crater into the windshield to enhance penetration of the resin but left the crater and claimed they couldn't fill it. The sharp edges of that crater would have wrecked the windshield wiper in short order. That was the last time I let anyone do a repair. I get a crack or a chip, the insurance company replaces the windshield.
My dolt did the grinding thing, too, but his end result was smooth as........glass!

(I kill me)
Old 09-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #22

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
My dolt did the grinding thing, too, but his end result was smooth as........glass!

(I kill me)
Face it, your dolt was better than mine.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #23

I found my dolt on a reference from my long time RV dealer/friend!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LadyFitz...You made me smile. I haven't heard the term Dolt in years, It's very fitting.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #25

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread. We have a fairly signicant chip (less than the size of a quarter and no crack yet) on our road. Would normally just go to glass shop and see if they can repair. But apparently car had been through a sand storm before we bought it and the windshield is finely pitted all over. It makes it hard to see when looking into the sun or headlights at night. Also seems to be very hard on wiper longevity. I'm considering taking it to glass dealer and seeing if they can convince insurance company to replace it (USAA). Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #26

A Dolt is the windshield owner that puts super glue or clear nail polish on the break. A close second is the Dolt that buys the 8 dollar kit and expects to do a proper repair on any windshield chip. I assure you, a true Windshield Tech that has had training and experience does not fit the definition of dolt. Unfortunately there are few folks working on windshields, that give the Techs a bad name.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:14 AM   #27

Firedoc

Why should your insurance company pay for a defect (sandblasted windshield) that was on the vehicle when you bought it?

Your coverage began the day you bought it and not two years before with a prior owner.

If the new crack truly renders the windshield as a safety hazard, I'm all for it your insurance company picking it up. If the new chip can be repaired, that is all that you should take from your insurance company.

Just my .02

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
A Dolt is the windshield owner that puts super glue or clear nail polish on the break. A close second is the Dolt that buys the 8 dollar kit and expects to do a proper repair on any windshield chip. I assure you, a true Windshield Tech that has had training and experience does not fit the definition of dolt. Unfortunately there are few folks working on windshields, that give the Techs a bad name.
And yet the kit I bought and used myself did a much better job than the true Windshield Tech my insurance company sent out did. The kits work fine on small chips, like a bulls eye that hasn't spread, as long as the damage is fresh and one takes time to read the directions.