Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Well.....with all this in mind and coming up......... Airtab: Aerodynamic fuel savers for truck, tractor, trailer, bus, RV
And if one chooses to study up on them in their free time https://www.google.com/search?q=air+...v2.com&x=0&y=0, and read some interesting info.
Here's an even better "increased fuel mileage modification".
https://www.google.com/search?q=myth...iw=911&bih=403
The MythBusters boys found an 11% MPG increase!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Here's an even better "increased fuel mileage modification".
https://www.google.com/search?q=myth...iw=911&bih=403
The MythBusters boys found an 11% MPG increase!
Mel
'96 Safari

That was a great episode. Sadly they added so much weight to the car as to make it counterproductive.

Now if a manufacture actually molded the fiberglass into that pattern we might have something, but would it ever sell. Sure us techno-geeks would come running, but I doubt many wives, or those less technically minded, would be thrilled to be seen going down the road in it.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #17

I use a Blue Ox car guard. The toad still gets dirty but I have avoided stone chips and damage from all the crap that is laying on the road. I bought it after getting hit by a piece of tire. This actually my second one. The first only lasted 2 trips before a big hole developed in the middle of one of the panels. I thought Blue ox should have replaced it but they would not.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #18

I use a full size mud flap due to our Jeep being covered with dust / grime when we got to our destination. The mud flap cuts it down 90% . . . . and so far no more rock chips . . . . .
Old 06-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #19

mud flap

I see no one has mentioned installing the traditional "mud flaps" behind the rear wheels. I have had two motorhomes with full length flaps across the rear and found that in both cases the rear full length flap would contact the road surface when encountering bumps and dips. This would actually pickup debris and throw it against the "towed" vehicle. I adjusted, trimmed and raised the flap in an attempt to mitigate this problem and it did help but I still have doubts about the full flap. I think that perhaps the traditional flaps behind the rear wheels may do as much good as a full length rear flap and without the inherent problems of ground encounters along the road entering and exiting gas stations etc. By the way the full rear flap can be a real pain when I lower the mh by dumping the air bags when we are parking at some rv spots. When my rear full length flap needs replacement I may just remove it and depend on my traditional rear wheel flaps alone.
aztortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztortuga View Post
I think that perhaps the traditional flaps behind the rear wheels may do as much good as a full length rear flap and without the inherent problems of ground encounters along the road entering and exiting gas stations etc.
aztortuga
I agree
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Choosing a rear mudflap.

I can't yet speak from experience with a full length mudflap, as I won't have mine installed till next week, but I can say that the conventional mudflaps on there now certainly aren't doing enough.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 06-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I'm passing through Tacoma on the 12th and have an appointment at Camping World to have an Ultraguard installed that morning. I'll repost 1000 miles later and let everyone know if there was any improvemt over the first 1000 miles.
Did you get it?
Old 06-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
No, there was a concern about the CW that was suppose to do the work. We decided not to change our schedule to find another shop and just went on without it. Now I am thinking about just waiting till I get home in six weeks and having my regular tech handle it.

We are headed into Canada Monday and I wouldn't have a clue where to go to have it done. With the exception of Kelowona we are staying in small towns and I'm concerned about dealing with little shops I don't know. Of course some of them are outstanding, but many aren't.

Even when we get back to the states in July the only places I'm knowledgable about is CW and my experience with them has been mixed.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)