Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Choosing a rear mudflap.

I bought the whole new car and tow bar set up, but never thought about adding the full width read mudflap. After the first thousand miles my metallic white car is just covered in road grime. I still have another 4k miles before I'm home.

I'm thinking about just pulling into a Camping World next time we pass civilization and having them do it. What's the difference between the usual big rubber ones vs the brush type? Is there anything else I should know before having CW do the work?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
flap

Money well spent.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Arrow Rear rock guard length.........

Here is some reading on this https://www.google.com/search?q=rear...+site:irv2.com
My rear flap used to be long, TOAD was covered in road dust, and my engine was a mess all the time, posted the question on here, and found that I needed to cut down the length of the flap, only 12" long now, engine stays a lot cleaner......as the longer flap kept the dirt and dust in the engine compartment off the rear tires and just general road dirt. Don't go to long with it.......at least 4-6" off the road so when you bounce down the road, if it hits, it will kick debris up........
The tow defender works really well protecting the TOAD
Note the rear flap length.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post

Thanks Palehorse, I'm driving a front engine gasser, so I'm not very concerned with the spray on the rear underside of the RV compared to on the toad. Interesting reading though. Just one more in a long list of things I never considered.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOKER View Post
Money well spent.
And yet some say that they just create a vacuum to suck up even more debris onto your toad. I have one, but I also have a Roadmaster Guardian shield.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
And yet some say that they just create a vacuum to suck up even more debris onto your toad. I have one, but I also have a Roadmaster Guardian shield.

No matter what topic you come up with, there will always be nay sayers. I'm aware of vortexes behind vehicles, but vacuums are a new one to me.

Either way. I'm passing through Tacoma on the 12th and have an appointment at Camping World to have an Ultraguard installed that morning. I'll repost 1000 miles later and let everyone know if there was any improvemt over the first 1000 miles.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Vacuum, vortex, low pressure area, all the same generally speaking. We'll be interested in your real-world experience here.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Well.....with all this in mind and coming up......... Airtab: Aerodynamic fuel savers for truck, tractor, trailer, bus, RV
And if one chooses to study up on them in their free time https://www.google.com/search?q=air+...v2.com&x=0&y=0, and read some interesting info.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Well.....with all this in mind and coming up......... Airtab: Aerodynamic fuel savers for truck, tractor, trailer, bus, RV
And if one chooses to study up on them in their free time https://www.google.com/search?q=air+...v2.com&x=0&y=0, and read some interesting info.

Certainly interesting, but I don't think they are as much of a sure thing as their website suggests. Adding vortex generators to any type of vehicle without wind tunnel testing, or real world trial and error is, to my way of thinking, simply guessing and can just as easily make the situation worse.

Look at how many trials and error formula one race cars go through when messing with airflow. It seems that even from the mind of a skilled engineer an initial idea has as much chance of harming as helping. Others can do as they please, but I'd have to know what effect I'm having on the airstream around my vehicle before I go tampering with it without reason.

Preventing road grime on my toad is the reason for the mudflap, and I know there must be some trade off to air flow when using one, but I don't have any idea how to accurately measure it. Of course I'll watch average mph, but I'm usually not driving the same roads as before and comparing with the toad and without will be a far bigger effect than the flap.

The only evidence I see for these vortex generators having a positive effect is based on testimonials from users. I can find that kind of evidence justifying adding magnets to my fuel line, or wearing copper bracelets to reduce my arthritis. I understand others swear by such evidence, but for me I prefer data and test results I can quantify.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 06-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
Certainly interesting, but I don't think they are as much of a sure thing as their website suggests. Adding vortex generators to any type of vehicle without wind tunnel testing, or real world trial and error is, to my way of thinking, simply guessing and can just as easily make the situation worse.

Look at how many trials and error formula one race cars go through when messing with airflow. It seems that even from the mind of a skilled engineer an initial idea has as much chance of harming as helping. Others can do as they please, but I'd have to know what effect I'm having on the airstream around my vehicle before I go tampering with it without reason.

Preventing road grime on my toad is the reason for the mudflap, and I know there must be some trade off to air flow when using one, but I don't have any idea how to accurately measure it. Of course I'll watch average mph, but I'm usually not driving the same roads as before and comparing with the toad and without will be a far bigger effect than the flap.

The only evidence I see for these vortex generators having a positive effect is based on testimonials from users. I can find that kind of evidence justifying adding magnets to my fuel line, or wearing copper bracelets to reduce my arthritis. I understand others swear by such evidence, but for me I prefer data and test results I can quantify.
True. Aerodynamics are as much an art as a science. My friends at Boeing tell me they are baffled at times by wind tunnel results.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I have known some pretty good shade tree mechanics who tape ribbon strips to their cars and have someone video tape them as they drive along at speed, sort of a poor man's wind tunnel. You would be surprised at how accurately they can trace airflow. And logic does not always apply. Take a pickup tailgate for example. The common wisdom is that you need to lower it so that it doesn't act like a dam, trapping the air, but the pickup is actually more aerodynamic with it up because it forms a boundary layer in the bed, improving airflow over the back of the truck and reducing drag.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I just don't see myself experimenting with ribbons or smoke off my RV. Maybe in my 20's I could get that excited about peaking performance on a vehicle to that level, now at 60 it's a heck of a lot less fun.

I remember in my 20's rebuilding and modifying car engines was a hobby, now you couldn't pay me to do it.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 06-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #13
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I just don't see myself experimenting with ribbons or smoke off my RV. Maybe in my 20's I could get that excited about peaking performance on a vehicle to that level, now at 60 it's a heck of a lot less fun.
I can see you bombing down the road with ribbons flapping all over the back of your RV. That could be a very interesting conversation with a LEO; "Honest I was just trying to see how the airflow spills out the back of my MH"!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I went with the UltraGuard solid rubber flap installed with 4" clearance above the ground. I don't think the "brush" type would do much good against larger rocks!

I also bought the Protect-A-Tow shield. I feel the combination gives me maximum protection for the toad. JMHO!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote