Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

Choosing RV Type for first time, non full time RVers

Hi,

I'm a long time reader on this website, first time poster.

I have been interested in and doing a lot of research about getting our first RV for quite some time now.

During all my research, one of the recurring issues I have is that a lot of the posts and articles you find online are fantastic, but they're mostly catered to or written by full-timers.

While I have learned some invaluable things from what many full-timers have shared, one of the things that I find hard to find is the type of RV non full timers choose and like the most. Most posts talk about which RV style is best for full timers.

I know that many will say that it's a personal preference and that we have to decide what works for us - I do agree with that, but I'm wanting to hear from some non-full timers and which RV style works best for them.

To try to give a little more information about us - it's me and my wife and one small dog that will be traveling. We are young and work remotely, but we would likely be working some on the road. We aren't ready to go full time, but we do have the flexibility to do prolonged trips. We will definitely be going with a used unit, regardless of the type, because, well, we aren't wealthy and will be looking to do this in the most budget friendly way. I'm not opposed to going with an older, cheaper unit, that we need to work on a bit.

I'm mostly interested in an Class C, Class A or a fifth wheel. All of these would likely be used and older.

We don't have an adequate tow vehicle - I have a smaller truck that would tow only the smallest trailer safely. So, if we go the trailer route, I will have to purchase a tow vehicle as well, which will likely be an older truck that I can find cheap. This would also have to be my 'daily driver', however I work remotely and only have to drive a couple times a week. If we went with the motorhome option, we can use our Equinox as a toad OR I can sell my truck for a cheaper car or Jeep to be my daily driver and toad.

As mentioned before, our travel style would prolonged trips. I imagine we probably wouldn't be parked in any one place longer than a week at a time. We would likely travel fairly often though - at the very least, we would use it 4-6 times a year.

I like the idea and being able to "stretch out" a bit on long trips in a motorhome and that we have access to the bathroom as well, if needed. Also, it seems like a motorhome could be a little more convenient for our travel style - being on the move a bit more.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this long post. I'm hoping to hear from other non full-timer and their experiences with different RV types.
williet34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

Hey there! Welcome to the forum. My family and I purchased our first RV last December. It was a 97 Ford 31ft Tioga Class C motorhome. We also liked the idea of a motorhome since we don't own an adequate tow vehicle. We generally travel with our 2 children and 2 dogs. Here are the things I would offer as advice.

1. A pre-sale inspection is mandatory, especially if your budget is limited. Repair/replacement of RV systems can be expensive.

2. Consider where you will be going and storing during non use to determine the right size/length.

3. Don't be afraid to walk away from a unit if it dosen't feel right. Ads often mention that everything works, when that's not always the case on older units. I searched for about 6 months before purchasing our unit.

We had a great first year of use and took several long trips. We actually put about 5k miles on it. Best purchase ever! We are making awesome memories. I hope this helps. Good luck on your search!
hamfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #3

Thanks so much for that response!

1. Yes, I will for sure be doing a pre-sale inspection since we will be looking at older used models. I will likely be looking at something around the age of your - mid to late 90's.

I'm not necessarily a handyman, but I can do quite a bit my own work (mostly, I don't mind putting a little elbow grease in and googling a lot), but I definitely want to have an inspection done so that I know as much as possible about what I'm getting.

Did you guys end up having to make any big repairs that you weren't expecting?

2) Great point that I have seen mentioned quite a bit. We hope that we will be taking on longer trips, but when we're not travelling, we will have to figure out the storage since I don't have the space at my house and an HOA that probably wouldn't like it there anyway.

3) This is probably one of the best tips - I have to constantly remind myself of this when looking because I'm just ready to get going!

Do you guys tow a car with yours or do you just drive the RV everywhere?

Thanks so much for the reply!
Old 12-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #4

We did end up spending more money in the first year than originally anticipated. I did pay for a pre sale inspection, and it received a passing grade. Since we were going to put a lot of miles on it, I decided to purchase 6 new tires and a new 12V house battery. The battery was testing marginally, and I didn't think it was worth the risk, the new one was around $100. The tires were a few years old, less than 5 and had decent tread. But I felt it wasn't worth the risk, so I purchased a new set. LT225 75 16 X 6 was less than $1k out the door and I was able to sell the old tires on CL and get some of my investment back.

Once last thing. Take a few shake down trips close to home before taking on a long trip. We did this and still have a few issues on our first big trip. Nothing major mechanically, just screw ups learning the RV systems that we laugh about know. After this first year, I feel way more comfortable with driving, settling up and my knowledge of how everything operates.

We haven't tackled a TOAD yet. We generally camp a few times a month during summer. We don't leave once there, so no need yet. We're planning a trip to San Diego next year and a 2nd vehicle would be needed, but we'll probably just rent a car or Uber. My wife and I are younger and still working. Later on or once Full Timing, a TOAD will definitely be needed. We will probably utilize a street legal dirt bike/scooter on a hitch carrier at some point.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #5

Yes, those sounds like pretty reasonable expenses up front - especially the tires. I may do the same regardless of what the tires look like when we do get one, just to be safe. It is the foundation of the RV after all.

Good tip on the short trips close to home idea as well - I would definitely want to do that. At this point, I have a lot of head knowledge about the different systems on an RV, but I know every one will have it's quirks and things like that. Besides, the hope of those few short trips will bring out any other unforeseen issues that may have to be addressed.

Another question - did you guys do any rentals before buying yours? In some ways, I like the idea of renting to get an idea of doing it, but, in the same way, it's just so expensive to rent one!
Old 12-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

Our first was a small 18 ft travel trailer that we pulled with our minivan for 3 years . We wanted to make sure we enjoyed it before spending a lot of money . We paid 800.00 for it .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

I RV'd a lot growing up with my parents in a small TT. However, my wife and I never rented before we purchased. I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of units in person. I also walked away from a lot of them lol. Another thing with an older unit. There will always be something that needs to be addressed. We haven't encountered any major costs yet luckily, mainly just small issues. New Co/smoke detectors, maintenance, etc. I'm not extremely mechanical, but I've been able to address a lot of it myself. This was a large purchase/investment for my family. We used it So Much this year and it was amazing, even when there were hiccups. Maintaining your unit will be the best thing you can do. It helps to protect the value and to make sure you can actually use it!
Old 12-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply, stepside454

I am hard pressed to even be able to safely pull an 18ft travel trailer for long distances with the truck I have.

I have a 3.7 v6 Dodge Ram 1500, which is a great truck, but has a pretty low tow rating. The small engine gets great mileage but doesn't have much extra power after moving the weight of the truck itself. I think I could pull an 18' foot just fine on short trips going slow, but it would be pretty tedious for a really long trip.

If I had a better tow vehicle already, I would probably really consider going this route - find a small, cheap TT that we could try out.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #9

WE have had two class C MHs one used and one new first and then 3TTs all new over 30 years and we never full timed. We liked the MHs because loading and setting up was easier and with a toad worked well. Most have generators installed witch is convenient Initial cost was substantial. As we aged towing a vehicle was more of a challenge and maintenance and repair expensive. Backing up with a toad is difficult and others tend to block you in and getting in small gas stations can be a challenge. Towing a TT is easier but loading and setup takes longer. Also a small generator is good is needed Also some TTs are not very well built. Before you buy used get someone with experience to go over the unit. These RVs don't age well and take a lot of care. Would not get to old of a unit unless it is in very good condition. This is a good time of year to buy. Good luck to you
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #10

hamfam

Neither of us has any RVing experience, but I have done quite a bit of research on everything I can think of about that lifestyle. I'm hoping that will, at least, help us quite a bit on this adventure.

I fully expect/anticipate having to put in some work and continued maintenance on the unit, especially if it means I don't have to take out a big loan for a newer unit. I would much rather gradually pay for things as needed than to be locked into a big loan and still have to pay to maintain it.

As you mentioned, I think the repairs and maintenance are just worth if for the experience of getting to travel and all.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #11

Thanks Melvo,

Yes, one of the things that seems to keep coming up is that MHs tend to be better built, especially more so than TTs. Of course, there are always exceptions and this is more of a case by case basis.

That's one of the reasons I am probably a bit more open to an older MH, though.

I will probably have an RV inspection done on any units that I find that seem to be really good options.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by williet34 View Post
Thanks for the reply, stepside454

I am hard pressed to even be able to safely pull an 18ft travel trailer for long distances with the truck I have.

I have a 3.7 v6 Dodge Ram 1500, which is a great truck, but has a pretty low tow rating. The small engine gets great mileage but doesn't have much extra power after moving the weight of the truck itself. I think I could pull an 18' foot just fine on short trips going slow, but it would be pretty tedious for a really long trip.

If I had a better tow vehicle already, I would probably really consider going this route - find a small, cheap TT that we could try out.

This is why we now have a motorhome . When we decided we wanted something bigger it meant if we stay with a towable , we need a bigger vehicle to tow it . A motorhome was a better option for us
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
You should rent a class C or A for whatever time you want to.

Then you will know if the dream is real.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
You should rent a class C or A for whatever time you want to.

Then you will know if the dream is real.
We will probably try to rent one at some point, but due to how expensive it is to rent, we will likely only be able to rent one for 1 or 2 nights and it will be a class C.

Renting a class A is much more expensive in our area and renting anything for more than two nights can easily be over $800 the last several times I have looked. Anything longer and more expensive than that just gets hard to justify.

Tags
class a, class c, fifth wheel, first timer, part time