Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Christmas tragedy

This Class C wreck happened today on I-10 on the west side of Phoenix (83rd Ave). I don't know any details, I just drove by.

Another reminder to all be careful out there. Let's be real safe out there this holiday season.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1451000183.564382.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	114893

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not good at all.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Terrible! The cab looks somewhat intact, hopefully no one was hurt too bad.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just saw on the news that the two occupants of the RV are expected to survive.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

So glad they are going to survive.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thank God they weren't killed!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen accidents that make that one look tame where, because they were properly secured, with Seat Belts, The occupant(s) walked away.> in fact looking at one close up at work I ask who got killed. The driver of the car was STANDING behind me and replied "Nobody, I was driving"... This ride looked like it' had been through a car crusher.

I have also seen vehicles where you had to look close to see the damage,, but the occupants were not properly restrained (well 2 of the 3 were not) The one who was.. Minor injury equal to razor nicks from flying glass. His Father.. Serious road rash and broken bones.. his mother, DeceaSed.

HAd all 3 been belted.. This would have been minor (Flying glass possible broken arm or two) not a fatal.

I have also seen many accidents where the crash was far less. But the air bag went off causing broken bones and burns... This would have been a property damage if not for the air bag, accident.

Care to guess why I support SEAT BELTS and not air bags?
Old 12-26-2015, 12:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have seen accidents that make that one look tame where, because they were properly secured, with Seat Belts, The occupant(s) walked away.> in fact looking at one close up at work I ask who got killed. The driver of the car was STANDING behind me and replied "Nobody, I was driving"... This ride looked like it' had been through a car crusher.

I have also seen vehicles where you had to look close to see the damage,, but the occupants were not properly restrained (well 2 of the 3 were not) The one who was.. Minor injury equal to razor nicks from flying glass. His Father.. Serious road rash and broken bones.. his mother, DeceaSed.

HAd all 3 been belted.. This would have been minor (Flying glass possible broken arm or two) not a fatal.

I have also seen many accidents where the crash was far less. But the air bag went off causing broken bones and burns... This would have been a property damage if not for the air bag, accident.

wa8yxm,
Don't you suppose they have done lots of studies on the use of seat belts used in conjunction with air bags? You have a valid point about the air bags
do have some issues, but in the long run, used in conjunction with the seat belts, most might think the research done on this would show it the safest way to escape bad injuries. This of course should not include the recent air bag problems with the recall of some of them, they are not too safe to say the least, from what has been said about them. But if the air bag works properly, it in my opinion, is a great invention and has saved lots of head trauma and more....JMO....
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I am glad you don't decide what is best for me, I'll take seat belts and AIR BAGS
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:31 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Terrible tragedy to have happen to the folks on board. Very blessed they will survive. Any stats on the cause of this accident, blowout, someone cut them off? Another reason to push me into a dash cam purchase.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:52 AM   #11

Rexhall Owners Group
In the photo the tires all look to be in good condition. The steering is cranked all the way to one side, but that may have happened during the roll over.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
The last news report still says the cause of the accident was unknown. I wouldn't expect them to update the story again.

Such one vehicle accidents on straight level roads, without any vehicle failure, are often caused by a heart attack or other driver illness. Just speculating based on statistics.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
The last news report still says the cause of the accident was unknown. I wouldn't expect them to update the story again.

Such one vehicle accidents on straight level roads, without any vehicle failure, are often caused by a heart attack or other driver illness. Just speculating based on statistics.
I would like to see the statistics, I would have guessed falling asleep or swerving to miss animal would be more common, at least by my observations after 25 years on a volunteer fire department.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ihave been in the automobile business most of my life and in the volunteer fire/rescue service for 15 years and now retired. Seat Belts and all the air bags they have available is the bare minimum that I want in my vehicle. You may not, but that's up to you.