Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

Chrome tire valve stems for aluminum wheels

I'm wanting to have the tire shop install bolt on chrome valve stems on my truck but the ones I purchased from O'Reillys threaded down from the outside of the rim and the tire shop said the inset for the nut wasn't big enough to accomodate it. Therefore I need to find a set of valve stems that has the nut screw on from inside the tire (the tire shop doesn't carry them).

I've found them on eBay, but there's several sets of them with prices of $4.99, $5.99, $7.39, and $12.88. From the pictures they all look the same, so how can I determine which one to order? Is this a case of getting what you pay for? From what I've read, it's easy to strip the threads while tightening the nut but not sure if this depends on the quality of the valve stems.

Has anyone ever ordered and installed this type of metal valve stem, and if so where did you purchase them?

By the way, I'm doing this because I'm using Pressure Pro tire pressure monitoring sensors on the valve stems and traveling at Interstate speed limits I don't want to risk the normal rubber valve stems braking or pulling out of the hole. May never happen but I'm told there's always the possibility.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wagonmaster2,

Try these guys. Tire-Man: Home Page

I ordered from them years ago and have been happy every since.

Good luck!
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
A couple of months ago I had new tires installed and at that time asked to have the valve stems on the outer duals to be turned to the outside so I could get a tire gauge and air hose to on them. That all went well but found last week one of the stem seals was leaking. I am traveling and in El Cajon, CA so looked around for a truck tire repair shop. These folks Welcome to Ramos Tires removed and replaced the metal stem. I don't know if they can help you but might be worth a try. They are not nation wide but they may have a contact in you area.

I'm kind of surprised your unit does not have metal stems. I have used both Doran & TST and both do recommend metal valve stems.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #4

My coach, Itasca Meridian, does have the metal valve stems but much longer than what I need for my truck. I'm looking for some in the range of 1 1/2" long, just enough to stick up far enough to get the air sensors screwed on.

Appreciate the information on a source for them.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we got new tires for the motorhome recently the tire shop had a rack on the wall with valve stems of every length - he picked one that was long enough to go from the inside dual out to the hole in the outside dual, and bent it at the correct angle to line up properly. Most tire places that can handle the larger tires (19 1/2", 22 1/2") should be able to supply the proper valve stems for you.