Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

City water still smells

Hello all...I am not new to travel trailer life, but my 1st and only before this was a used 1969 norris.
I just bought a 2014 Riverside Retro model 177 new at the end of June. I have been to three sites and have hooked to city water at every site. I have for the past 6 weeks been at the same park, hooked to city water.
My water still smells and taste odd, like rubber hose or something. Its not my RV water hoses as I have been filling up a 5 gallon water jug to use. And the water is not from my holding tank as I have washed it out with bleach and rinsed and drained it leaving the plug out.
As I said my other camper was old so I don't know how long the New or Rubber smell should last, but this seems way to long.
Any ideas why this still is the case?
I await your help and knowledge thank you all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #2

What about the hose that you are using? Is it one of the white, potable water hoses? One of the cheap garden hoses will give a really nasty taste and even the better quality ones have a definite flavor. Modern RVs do not use any rubber in the fresh water lines but rather use PEX, which is the same as used in most new houses.

Is there any chance that your RV was winterized with RV antifreeze in it when you began to use it? If so, that stuff has a bad taste intentionally added to it and it takes a lot to get rid of it, especially if you didn't drain out what was there to start.

Are you saying that the water from your 5 gallon jug also tastes bad?

SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
What about the hose that you are using? Is it one of the white, potable water hoses? One of the cheap garden hoses will give a really nasty taste and even the better quality ones have a definite flavor. Modern RVs do not use any rubber in the fresh water lines but rather use PEX, which is the same as used in most new houses.

Is there any chance that your RV was winterized with RV antifreeze in it when you began to use it? If so, that stuff has a bad taste intentionally added to it and it takes a lot to get rid of it, especially if you didn't drain out what was there to start.

Are you saying that the water from your 5 gallon jug also tastes bad?
thank you for the reply...No my hose is and RV hose the same one I use to fill my 5 gal. Jug and the water is fine, and this is a brand new camper bought in Arkansas just over two months ago from a dealer, not sure if it was winterized.
but I have had it 2 months now, and would think since I have stayed in it this entire time and run water through the city water hook up for a while now it should be clean.
I guess I need to call the dealer.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndncreek View Post
I guess I need to call the dealer.
That is what I would do.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Have you sanitized the entire water system? Just doing the tank won't clean it out. The water heater, in particular, is a prime source of an odor-causing bacteria (they aren't dangerous, just noxious). Try draining the entire system, then filling with a strong bleach solution and let it sit for several hours before flushing it out. Run water through every line until you smell the bleach solution coming out the tap or valve.

Here is the sanitizing procedure the RVIA recommends:

1. Drain and flush the fresh water tank; leave empty.

2. Using a mix ratio of 1/4-cup of liquid household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) with one gallon of fresh water, make up one gallon of chlorine-water solution for every 15 gallons of fresh water tank capacity.

3. Pour the chlorine-water solution directly into the fresh water tank through the gravity fill. Note: If the RV is not equipped with a gravity fill for the fresh water tank, use a funnel to pour each gallon of the mixture directly into the fresh water hose prior to connecting it to the city water source.

4. Top off the tank with fresh water.

5. Remove or bypass any water purification equipment and/or filtering cartridges.

6. Turn on the water pump and open every faucet in the RV, including the exterior faucets and showerheads.

7. Allow the solution to pump through the system to the toilet, through the water heater, and to every hot and cold faucet at each sink until the distinct odor of chlorine is present at every fixture. (You can open one faucet at a time or all at once.)

8. At the city water inlet, using the eraser end of a pencil, push in on the check valve spring, allowing the solution to pump out through the city water inlet until the chlorine odor is detected in the discharge.

9. Close all the faucets and turn off the water pump.

10. Allow the chlorinated water to remain in the system for four hours. This should chlorinate and disinfect the fresh water tank, the water heater, the faucets, the complete piping system, and all fittings to a residual level of 50 ppm (parts per million).

11. Once you reach four hours, drain and flush the system once again and top off the water tank with fresh water.

To avoid damage to delicate plumbing components found in some water pumps, do not allow the chlorinated solution to sit longer than four hours in the fresh water system. If 100 ppm residual concentration is required or desired, use 1/2-cup of bleach instead of 1/4-cup with each gallon of the solution and let it stand for one to two hours.

If the odor of the chlorine is still very strong after you have drained and flushed the system, drain, flush, and refill the tank again until you are satisfied. This process should be performed after any extended period of nonuse, such as after storage; whenever stale or distasteful water is experienced; or at least once per camping season.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #6

Gary thank you for the info! My owners manual did say use bleach in the portable water tank, and then drain and rinse till the bleach smell was gone.
but did not go into detail about the lines or pumping it throughout the system.

Thanks so much as I am following your suggestion now and will hopefully have the issue resolved soon will post results, hopefully good ones when completed.
Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Also, if the bleach smell and/or taste linger you can flush the system with White Vinegar to rid the tank of the bleach. Using approx. the same amount of vinegar as you did Bleach. Starting to use your water system in the spring after winterizing with RV antifreeze will leave bad odors as well. Especially if you did not bypass the water heater. Antifreeze does not heat well, so making sure the heater never gets any in it or if it does, flushing well before turning it on is a must!

I always flush the system several times with fresh water after sanitizing before my fill up.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A baking soda solution is also excellent for eliminating the chlorine odor after sanitizing. 1/2 cup in a gallon of water and add to the fresh tank, then pump through the system.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
A baking soda solution is also excellent for eliminating the chlorine odor after sanitizing. 1/2 cup in a gallon of water and add to the fresh tank, then pump through the system.
Can not imagine why I did not think about that...have used baking soda a ton of times in water jugs and other things around the house.
Thanks for sparking my brain for me.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #11

So far the heavy dose of bleach followed with a 1lb box of arm n hammer baking soda seems to be doing the trick, a few more rinse jobs of fresh clean water to rid the soda taste and I will be good to go.
thank you all, big thanks to Gary!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for update.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell, water