Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #29
Thanks to all for the positive response. Detail as follows: Loud humm noise & vibration from rearend, loss of power. Drove unit addt'l 45 miles to home. Garage tear down, differential taken to Freigtliner dealer. Results: Pinion shaft worn, ring gear has broken edge, side carrier bearing brown from heat. "Cannot re-build, casing damaged - need replacement". Warranty provider contacted immediate per instructions. "Tear down see what probem is". Pictures, e-mails, phone calls all per warranty provider instructions over 5 week period. I understand from your responses that to withold the name of the warranty company was no help to anyone which was wrong, sorry! Here we go: Eagle Extended Service Protection Corp. 6140 Parkland Blvd, Suite 230, Mayfield Heights, OH 44124. 800-453-5678 . Website: www.eagleesp.com.
PS All service records intact per mfg directions.

Jean, Tony & Izzy
09 Winnebago Journey, 11 Chevy HHR
jeans-izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
File a suit against them in your local small claims court. Let them prove to a judge that it is a MFG. defect and liability.
Sounds to me like just another low life dirtball outfit that only collects money and rarely pays out.

az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #31
I guess some of my first questions would be when was the rear end last serviced and what type of fluid was used? I would suspect that even if the 'preload' was not set properly that it would have gone out before 14k miles. Did the extended warranty company give any idea on why they thought that this was a defect? I would be still hounding the warranty company to have them 'back up' their findings.
Good luck
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #32
Well from your description I can likely tell you what caused the failure & it WAS NOT a design defect. Even without your mileage on the vehicle I have seen some of this type of failure & you will not like my opinion. But the decline of the failure & cause is likely incorrect. If you had some reasonable milage on the vehicle it would indicate to me that the bearing setup on the differential was correct. So bearing failure is possibly caused by lack of sufficient lubrication & high heat conditions. So if the lube level was low because of a worn or failed pinion seal, which can leak slowly, then maybe they should have covered it if their policy coverage included seals. JMHO.

38ft Snowvilla. Triple Glides. 2010 Ram 3500 CC Dually. to tow anywhere, anytime.
!!!!!! "RETIRED" !!!!!!.
Arctic Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know if I would peruse a law suit, just yet. However, I would seek legal advice from a known source ie: local attorney and speak with the FL shop and gather their advice on what avenue they would follow. Most likely FL has encountered circumstances similar to yours over the years. Gather all your resources and facts relating to your need for warranty. Sounds like equipment failure since you have up to date service records. Persistence here will pay off. Maybe a letter to MH magazine "hotline" will stir the pot? We wish you luck and thank you for your post. Keep us informed, please.
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #34
Seems to me, if it has only 14K miles, service is not the issue. "Design defect" does nothing for me either. I think we all know a new product can have a "manufacturing defect", which should be addressed with this kind of contract.
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg - 2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
"In God we trust" to preserve our country and bring our Troops safely home.
Carry on, regardless..................
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #35

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by jeans-izzy View Post
2009 Freightliner chassis rear end differential seized at 14k miles! I've read a lot of "design defect" excuses from the extended warranty companies but thought this one took the prize at a cost of over $3,500 to yours truly! I thought with a full warranty contract for 7 years/55k miles that I was safe, wrong ! No sense in mentioning their name, very unprofessional but I just wanted everyone to know, please look over very carefully your "extended warranty"and ask lots of questions before spending your money.
Thanks for listening !
I'm sorry for your experience, but not all companies are like yours. I have a Roadmaster S-Chassis and blew my rear diff at 45K. Good Sams paid the tab in Canada to just over 5K. I did pay about 300.00 in delectable and "shop supplies."

Some do work.... Again...Sorry
Leo & Cindy Thrush (aka "RVM46") Cats: Latte, Jelly Bean
"There are many things given to us in this life we do not deserve. What we do with such things; that is the true mark of a man!"
2005 Holiday Rambler, 45' PGA 2007 Jeep Liberty in trailer
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #36
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Seems to me, if it has only 14K miles, service is not the issue. "Design defect" does nothing for me either. I think we all know a new product can have a "manufacturing defect", which should be addressed with this kind of contract.
In the 'general maintenance' section for our MH, under the Drive Axle oil it states: Change oil every 3 years, or 250,000 miles.
In another section under Drive axle it states: check oil level every six months and ensure that the vent is open.
While I agree that the fluid may not need to be changed at 14k miles, the coach is old enough to have had the fluid changed. Just saying that this 'could' be an out for the warranty company.

2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote