Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

Claim Denied !: "Manufacturers Design Defect"

2009 Freightliner chassis rear end differential seized at 14k miles! I've read a lot of "design defect" excuses from the extended warranty companies but thought this one took the prize at a cost of over $3,500 to yours truly! I thought with a full warranty contract for 7 years/55k miles that I was safe, wrong ! No sense in mentioning their name, very unprofessional but I just wanted everyone to know, please look over very carefully your "extended warranty"and ask lots of questions before spending your money.
Thanks for listening !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeans-izzy View Post
2009 Freightliner chassis rear end differential seized at 14k miles! I've read a lot of "design defect" excuses from the extended warranty companies but thought this one took the prize at a cost of over $3,500 to yours truly! I thought with a full warranty contract for 7 years/55k miles that I was safe, wrong ! No sense in mentioning their name, very unprofessional but I just wanted everyone to know, please look over very carefully your "extended warranty"and ask lots of questions before spending your money.
Thanks for listening !
Well, by law they're not a "warranty", they are a contract and subject to contract law. The lawyers that draw up the contracts work for the contract company, not you, therefore they are written to favor the company.
What happened and why did they call it a "design defect"?
More info on what happened would be very helpful!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
What happened and why did they call it a "design defect"?
More info on what happened would be very helpful!
I'm with Mr_D on this one.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh come on be a sport. Mention their name. What good is withholding information on these forums?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeans-izzy View Post
Thanks for listening !
jeans-izzy
RV owners like you, who expect to "get what they paid for" ruin things for everyone.

Warranty companies build "wiggle room" in their contracts to prevent paying most claims, (no matter how legitimate the claim seems to be to the person who bought the contract).
Only people with trouble, (aka: trouble makers), file a claim... that's is why they gave you trouble in return.
Those companies expect you to sign on the dotted line, pay the premium and shut up.
You did not cooperate.

If they had to pay for expensive repairs they would lose money.
If they lose money they go out of business.
If they go out of business people lose their jobs.

Seriously, you only did two things you did that I didn't do...you signed the contract and payed the money.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

I wonder what , Freightliner's lawyers , would say to that tag "design defect " . Is every 09 on the road seizing up the rear end at 14k miles; now that would constitute a design defect. JMHO.
I know just throwing gas on the fire.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
jeans-izzy

Seriously, you only did two things you did that I didn't do...you signed the contract and payed the money.

Mel
'96 Safari
The other side: I did sign a contract and pay the money for a Good Sam contract and came out well ahead money wise. It does work for some of us. I'd be well in the hole if I had self insured like some members suggest.

I'd also like to hear the name of the provider that refused the contract and the explanation of why they did not cover the repair. If memory serves me correctly the contracts do tend to cover most drive train parts if the parts have been serviced according to schedule. I think the freightliner differential fluid has to be changed each year and maybe that was not done. Just speculation.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #8

..and it would be nice to copy the section of the contract that you feel covered the item in question.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I also have extended service contract on my motorhome. It was not cheap to purchase but as of now I have recovered the cost of the contract and then some. I never had a situation such as the OP but have had to have several expensive systems repaired and the company paid as advertised each time there was a claim. If there is a next time, I may not be satisfied, but as of now I am. This type "insurance" is like any other, a crap shoot. If you need it and have it, great, if you need it and it is no good, then not so good. I bought it simply because my motorhome was out of warranty and Monoco had went belly up. Would I do it again, I think so.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm about even with mine.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

Publicize the name of the extended service contract company. Help them advertise, and do other RV owners a service at the same time. Places like wholesalewarranties.net, Good Sam, etc., are merely brokers for the actual companies that hold the contract.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I to say go ahead and name them, That hurts them more than you can know.
'
But also contact the manufacturer (Did you say Freightliner) if it *IS* a design defect also contact National Highway Traffic Safety Agency,,, There may be a TSB or even a silent recall on that device in which case Freightliner may make it good.

And if there is no Design Defect.. Freightliner's lawers may become very fat and happy at the expense of your non-warranty company.,
Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #13

This sounds too much like low level BS to me. I would ask for (or demand if necessary) more information regarding how they arrived at the "design" defect" conclusion. Ask for the boss's boss's name and contact info. Then call him. If uncomfortable speaking of the claim specifics, have a mechanically inclined buddy join you as a "consultant" in a converation using a speaker phone? This should keep the BS coming from them to a level required where you might gain some traction in your quest for reimbursement.

I think if I ran into a roadblock going in that direction I'd head to small claims where I would try recovering my payment(s) for my policy. Cost would be mostly time, and the deal smells bad enough where I seriously doubt you'd loose. That's me though. -Al
Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #14

Company will not pay but I'm not telling you who. Just go ahead and buy one from this "unknown" company so they can stick it to you also. Misery loves company. Please join my company