Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Last June DW and I stayed at a great little RV site just off 90 in the midwest. The owner told us (via phone as he was at a fish fry) to pick the spot we wanted and he would catch up to us when he got back.

We decided to stay over because Denise decided it was a great place to do laundry and the coffee shop (??) hostess was a fun Chatty Cathy type she liked to socialize with while waiting. You must have picked up we stayed here going east too.

The park owner came to us the morning of our second day and asked if we had a problem with a largish family staying near by and we said not a problem at all. Well this family pulled in with an old C Class (actually older than ours) and two vehicles. When they had finished piling out there were a grandmother, husband, wife, and about 14 kids. There were a slew of pets ranging from a St Bernard down to a Chihuahua (ISTR 6 different dogs) and maybe one or two others.

Long story - short; this gang spread out tents, set about cooking and everyone had something to do and the kids entertained themselves (and us) just being kids having fun. I have been to parks that begrudgingly admitted our C Class and the people in these types of parks would have missed out seeing an old fashioned large family looking out for, but have fun with, one another.

They were gone early next morning but over coffee with the owner I thanked him for allowing the group to stay. It was then he told us that his site was the last of five they had tried to stay at on that day.

One thing we picked up was that they were very religious and they home schooled. After supper the previous evening the family walked about the site and the older ones explained to the younger ones what everything was, the importance of the nearby bee hives, and anything they thought worthwhile for the youngest to know.

We are heading out at Easter to a large annual gathering of friends and relatives and I will attempt to take pictures. Year before last the grand kids were actually sleeping on Easter Sunday Morning in a tent covered in surprise snow. They all had a blast and didn't mind it at all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #86

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I can really relate to this thread as I'm always being "looked at", everywhere I go, because of my unworldly good looks. I believe I'm constantly discriminated because people are so intimidated by my handsomeness. My wife, however, has no compassion for this as I'm constantly bringing it up and she just rolls her eyes and sighs! Can you believe that?

Old 03-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #87

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
I can really relate to this thread as I'm always being "looked at", everywhere I go, because of my unworldly good looks. I believe I'm constantly discriminated because people are so intimidated by my handsomeness. My wife, however, has no compassion for this as I'm constantly bringing it up and she just rolls her eyes and sighs! Can you believe that?
Now THAT'S some funny stuff!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #88

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Last June DW and I stayed at a great little RV site just off 90 in the midwest. The owner told us (via phone as he was at a fish fry) to pick the spot we wanted and he would catch up to us when he got back.

We decided to stay over because Denise decided it was a great place to do laundry and the coffee shop (??) hostess was a fun Chatty Cathy type she liked to socialize with while waiting. You must have picked up we stayed here going east too.

The park owner came to us the morning of our second day and asked if we had a problem with a largish family staying near by and we said not a problem at all. Well this family pulled in with an old C Class (actually older than ours) and two vehicles. When they had finished piling out there were a grandmother, husband, wife, and about 14 kids. There were a slew of pets ranging from a St Bernard down to a Chihuahua (ISTR 6 different dogs) and maybe one or two others.

Long story - short; this gang spread out tents, set about cooking and everyone had something to do and the kids entertained themselves (and us) just being kids having fun. I have been to parks that begrudgingly admitted our C Class and the people in these types of parks would have missed out seeing an old fashioned large family looking out for, but have fun with, one another.

They were gone early next morning but over coffee with the owner I thanked him for allowing the group to stay. It was then he told us that his site was the last of five they had tried to stay at on that day.

One thing we picked up was that they were very religious and they home schooled. After supper the previous evening the family walked about the site and the older ones explained to the younger ones what everything was, the importance of the nearby bee hives, and anything they thought worthwhile for the youngest to know.

We are heading out at Easter to a large annual gathering of friends and relatives and I will attempt to take pictures. Year before last the grand kids were actually sleeping on Easter Sunday Morning in a tent covered in surprise snow. They all had a blast and didn't mind it at all.
Great story, we often miss things like this when we don't venture out of our comfort zone.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #89

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
Eric, finally I have it. I've seen it daily and never knew. So simple, so short, 4 letters. Yes now I know the name of that man in the mirror.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Great story, we often miss things like this when we don't venture out of our comfort zone.
The campground was New Frontier RV Park, Presho, South Dakota.

I just looked on Google Maps and they have it located wrong. It is at the end of 8th avenue just at the ease end of town. It is visible and you can see the sites all run diagonal to the highway. It wasn't the fanciest place in North America but it was clean, well run and friendly.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #91

Freightliner Owners Club
Possum: Each year when we visit DD in Grand Rapids, we often spend a few days across Labor Day weekend at nearby Tyler Creek Golf Club. (Alto,Mi) Nice RV park. This coincides with a huge annual family reunion (We are not related) that packs the campground and overflow. RV's of every description, A few hundred people and kids galore. And we are always invited to join the festivities. The kids were included in all the activities and always very well behaved. . Gigantic family gatherings like this are becoming more rare but they sure are memorable
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Hooligan, my grandparents had a bunch of children and innumerable MANY, MANY great-greats and when we were kids up until my kids were in their teens, the family reunions usually made the paper in three or four surrounding towns/states !

in fact, a little girl sang in our family talent contest and had a stunning voice --- brittany spears ... but she didn't win cuz she wasn't family

Really miss those and a couple of cousins are trying to resurrect it as it was an epic event each year !

One Aunt actually had a dairy farm that had a COLD spring fed creek running thru about 10 acres of her 80 acres and the family got together and ran electricity down there and usually had 10 or so rv's there !

What a memory - thanks for bringing that up !

(oh, and some of the reasons it made the paper were good and some not so good )
Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #93

This was a very interesting thread…I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the respondents perspectives.
Here is my take… America offers the freedom of choice and the choices are endless in the RV’ing community. However there were two comments that stuck in my mind that I felt I needed to comment on. #1: You should not assume that because someone is driving or pulling a 100K+ unit that they own it! So while I might admire their unit I would not go to the extent of saying that I envy them. I always stressed to my children that you purchase what you can afford. It’s no different than someone purchasing a large spacious home without having the funds to furnish it. That being said there are some very influential people that choose to camp in a tent! You should not judge a person on their accommodations… the oustide does not always represent the inside. Just say hello and go from there! #2: I would consider my husband and I upper middle class…however I wouldn’t be opposed to using a coupon for discounted camping. Does one really think that using a coupon makes you an undesirable neighbor? How rude!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #94
laj

And here i thought this thread was on resorts that inky wanted class A mh. Not on people types. My mistake.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
And here i thought this thread was on resorts that inky wanted class A mh. Not on people types. My mistake.
Did you read the entire thread? Obviously I did...
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #96
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post

Did you read the entire thread? Obviously I did...
Oooooook, then explain what using coupons, and what class people in your perception you are has to do with class A mh resorts only. I must have missed the connection somewhere as in all previous post i saw nothing to do with these.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #97

Here you go...you must have been speed reading because many of the responses speak to economics and class! And that was my point... economic class has nothing to do with RV Class!!!

If I were building a new RV park it would surely be an upscale,adults only,self contained 40'+ resort.
There are a lot of older people who can afford an upscale quiet place to stay. Most of these people are not affected by economic downturns. And they don't come in trying to use 50% off discount coupons, complain about $2 for whatever and sneak in 6 extra people without paying.

It is no different than where anyone decides to live. I doubt that many on here choose to live in the ghetto of downtown Detroit.

To the OP, if you really want to go to a Class A only resort, you should contact them as many will allow upscale Super C and truck conversions also.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #98
laj

I stand corrected. And yes I did read this.

Just forgot as it didn't really relate to the op

The original was no super c's in class A only.