Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #15
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
There has been a push in BC Canada to have a licensing testing be done prior to allowing Europeans to fly to Calgary Alberta, head to the Canadreams RV rental location and pile their family into a huge rental unit and head west into BC.

The vast majority have no comprehension of the rules of the road and simply do not understand that a pullout is somewhere an RV pulls into to allow the miles of locals that the RV driver has strung out behind them not allowing them to pass on our narrow mountain roads.

These idiots feel there is nothing wrong to have their wife stand behind the units on a busy two lane highway (say in Cathedral Grove) and attempt to stop traffic so they can do an illegal "U" turn to go back the way they came. I whole hardheartedly support any attempt by the government to limit the users by making sure they're actually qualified to drive these units.

Right on and on the Campgrounds they even don't talked to the next door RVer...... (last week edition)

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Henrick,

Where are you licensed now. Is it Denmark with an International License issued by an embassy? Or are you required to have a Texas drivers license because your vehicle is registered in that state? Inquiring mind wants to know.
Hi Wayne

I hold a Danish license and I can get an International license that is valid for 1 year.

We would very much like to have a Texas license but unfortunately this is not possible. There are no US state that will issue a license unless we are resident. Having a US license would make insurance so much cheaper for us.

All the best and we will see you soon (we hope).

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Henrick,

I'm going to stick my head out on the ledge and say that if you are covered by Danish law and International law to drive the type of vehicle that you drive, then it is, by International law you wold be legal to drive in any of the United States. Best maybe to consult with an International lawyer.

Heck! It's only money.

We are on the road. Presently in Gettysburg, PA. Hope to see you at a Boomer's shindig.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #18

I have not heard of any push for a MH license. You can bet one thing if their was it would be to raise fees for the states to get more money.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #19

I know I'm late to the party here, but I just took the test for the Non Commercial Class A here in CA. I was in there to get an M1 classification & decided to go in cold and try for the Non Comm Class A while I was there. Passed it easy, but be aware that you can only miss 3!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I also realize this thread is over a month old, but....

Texas DOES require a Non-CDL Class B license for all private vehicles over 26001 lbs. A Non-CDL Class A is required for any private vehicle that is over 26001 lbs and pulling a trailer over 10001 lbs.

These are the same guidelines that the Feds have established and a lot of states are going by those guidelines.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So what can you drive with a Non Commercial Class A license in California? Motorhome over 40ft...or?

Dieselclacker
Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
So what can you drive with a Non Commercial Class A license in California? Motorhome over 40ft...or?

Dieselclacker
It allows you to pull a travel trailer over 10K lbs GVWR or a fifth wheel over 15K lbs GVWR, not for hire.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just to give Idea on class A com-any combanation up to 80,000#/endorsements-wide load- overweight-hazerdous-more than one trailer-ag is another thing very forgiving(Illegals) License is very costly if it don,t have a steering wheel or awrench-FORGET IT
Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Alan_Hepburn;906252]It allows you to pull a travel trailer over 10K lbs GVWR or a fifth wheel over 15K lbs GVWR, not for hire.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the response, just curious about that type of license.

Dieselclacker
Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #25
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Every state varies with requirements. Check your local state laws for classes of licenses. Many follow the Federal guidelines with the magic number being 26,001 pounds. Then if follows with class type depending if what you are towing is greater than 10,000 pounds.

Again, check the state you are licensed in for their regulations. If you are legal in your state, there are reciprocal agreements between states.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
This is the best site I have found for info on RV Driver licenses
RV Driver's License Requirements
Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
well take the coarse. it will teach you alot. i've drove big rig's and never did get a commerical, I was lucky, I didn't need to go to any scales as I wasn't on the freeways. I would say anybody using air brakes should take a class on that and learn about em. I also worked on garbage trucks as a mechanic and drove them alot. i learned alot about airbrakes. have fun at your class.

Outlaw
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
What would be a nice safety issue would be to require
everyone that drives a m/h to pass, and maintain a medical card
with the same requirements as a class A CDL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw45 View Post
I would say anybody using air brakes should take a class on that and learn about em.

I agree with both of these posts. Someone that is driving a 40K pound R/V down the road should be in good physical health the same as a commercial driver. I also think an air brake test should be mandatory for anyone owning an R/V with air brakes. I'd bet the majority of the R/V owners have no idea what a self adjusting slack adjuster is or how it works.