Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #29

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429

I agree with both of these posts. Someone that is driving a 40K pound R/V down the road should be in good physical health the same as a commercial driver. I also think an air brake test should be mandatory for anyone owning an R/V with air brakes. I'd bet the majority of the R/V owners have no idea what a self adjusting slack adjuster is or how it works.
I agree with needing the training and it should be required but I can't say ALL commercial drivers are in good physical health. More strength yes but also more weight which easily leads to heart and BP issues.

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
I agree with needing the training and it should be required but I can't say ALL commercial drivers are in good physical health. More strength yes but also more weight which easily leads to heart and BP issues.

I guess I worded that wrong. There are a bunch of CDL drivers that are not in good health. How some of them passed their physical is beyond me. That is all going to change in time though with the new rules the FMCSA has put into place. Some overweight truck drivers are going to be out of a job.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #31

Hal Miller:

You must be a Cockney or be descended from one. "Porkies" as slang for lies is part of the old rhyming slang vocabulary where, in this case. "pork pies" rhymes with "lies" and is shortened to "porkies". The classic one Is "My plates are killing me. I've been up and down the apples all day". It means that the speaker's feet hurt because he's been going up and down stairs all day. "Plates" is a contraction of "plates of meat" which rhymes with feet and "apples" is a contraction of "apples and pears" which rhymes with stairs.

There's just one example of rhyming slang which has made it into regular American usage. That's the term for a rude noise made by blowing though your lips, called a "raspberry". The original rhyming slang was "raspberry tart" which rhymes with f--t.

My wife's knitting group are all fans of the TV series "New Tricks" and almost every week she has to translate something that the character Gerry has said in rhyming slang.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #32

When I started with our local transit agency as a driver (a post-retirement job) they trained me to pass the CDL-B in Washington State. It included a passenger endorsement and an airbrakes endorsement. The "-B" didn't require all the tractor trailer stuff or hazardous materials. The airbrakes part of it was very informative and I'm sure that a lot of folks with the bigger diesel Class A rigs have no idea what they should do in a pre-trip inspection.

Interestingly, the license itself requires a current medical certificate to be valid. I got the cert the first time up, with a BP of 148/93, but because I was on BP meds, it was only a one-year cert. A colleague who started the same time I did didn't have hypertension and got a 2-year certificate.

At renewal, I was surprised when, with essentially the same BP numbers as before, I was given a 3-month probationary certificate and told to get my BP under control. The regulations had been changed so that instead of 160/100 being OK, it had been reduced to 140/95. Interstingly, the colleague who had been give a 2-year certificate needed by-pass surgery less than a year after starting work and never came back to driving a bus.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #33

When we lived in New Zealand several years ago, one had to have an HD license (Commercial here) just to operate an 18 foot motor home. I ran through an accelerated $700.00 two day course to get a license that normally takes a year. Money Talks!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
I agree with both of these posts. Someone that is driving a 40K pound R/V down the road should be in good physical health the same as a commercial driver. I also think an air brake test should be mandatory for anyone owning an R/V with air brakes. I'd bet the majority of the R/V owners have no idea what a self adjusting slack adjuster is or how it works.

I also wonder how many that have air brakes knows how to do a air brake test to see if there are air leaks, to check the air compressor cut-out & cut-in psi. And Yes I do have a CDL license.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
I'd bet the majority of the R/V owners have no idea what a self adjusting slack adjuster is or how it works.
My Sans-a-Belt slacks are self adjusting. Does that count?...
Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
My Sans-a-Belt slacks are self adjusting. Does that count?...
But do you know how to adjust self adjusting slack adjuster? Used to be at a DOT inspection the first thing they checked was your air pressure and that your air governor was working. They found that they were not finding any brakes out of adjustment. They found that with us pumping the brakes to bleed air off we were adjusting the brakes. So now the first thing that is done on inspection is they roll under the truck and check brake adjustment. Brake out of adjustment tickets are back! Now I apply the brakes to at least 90 psi on the application gauge before I start out and before I get a dot inspection on the truck.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #37
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Even if your stated does not require a higher class license, which requires more knowledge, you would be well advised to get the manual and read it, then read it again, and maybe once a year. You will be surprised at how much more you will learn about driving "bigger" vehicles, and how much you really don't know.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Yesterday I went to an exhibition just outside Copenhagen, Denmark. At this exhibit someone was enlisting people to take their commercial bus driver drivers license and I got talking to them.

They would have me believe that the US is about to change the requirement for driving a Class A Rv on US roads. Shortly they will require something similar to a bus drivers license by all - this is the story I was told.

I can see the sense in this but at the same time I can see some major practical problems in this also. How many million people would all of a sutton be required to take driving lessons and a take a test to continue driving their RV's? How about all these "old times" who have been driving big RV's for years and for that reason do not need to be taught by anyone how to drive their vehicle.

Am I being told "porkies" here or can someone enlighten me with straight forward FACTS about the subject? If there is anything to this I will need to prepare my self well ahead of time.

Maine ALREADY has that law. Had it 10 or 12 years now, but I'm told by other RVers that "no one ever checks", so they don't bother to get the Class A license. You can't LEGALLY drive a bus-type Class A coach in Maine unless you have a Class A bus driver's license. As far as I know they don't enforce it for out of state RVers, but they do for Maine drivers. They told me about this law when I went to take my Class C Road Test and they asked what type of car I planned to drive, I said a sedan and a motorhome, they gave me the Class A driving book and told me to read it before I bought my motorhome, to be sure I bought one that could be driven with a Class C license.

The book says "all vehicles carrying over 8 passengers require a Class A license", and than it lists off specifications of the size of motorhomes requiring a Class A. The old Style As are still Class C, but the ones shaped like a bus, anything over 65' (total truck and trailer) and any built on a bus chassis require a Class A to drive it in Maine.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #39

I think Maine doesn't require out of state RV drivers to comply because if you are legally licensed to drive in your own state you are legal in all states. Each state has it own rules for licensing.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #40

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
What would be a nice safety issue would be to require
everyone that drives a m/h to pass, and maintain a medical card
with the same requirements as a class A CDL
Then I could never drive a motor home, as I have several medical conditions that make me ineligible for a medical card, and by extension a CDL.

If you have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. you could not drive a motor home under your proposal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
The couple we purchased our RV from had it for 2 yrs and had no clue how to work most things even thou they said they full-timed in it. I looked back thru what receipts they had kept for it and one stated that they took it in for several things including to find out how to turn the bathroom fan on. Really? It runs pretty good but going over the engine and things we have found several wires just cut cause they did not know (or want to know IMO) or think they were for anything. Took the tuner boxes and stuff out to see what connections were used or not used and found (so far) 4 plugs still connected on one end going to no where. If you've upgraded take the plugs out! You don't need all the extra wires and stuff then.
They should at least be able to tell what certain things do when you get an RV, like Pac Brakes. A lic or test would be a good thing sometimes.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
NY has done away with the non-commercial CDL license. Now for RVs over 26,000 you can get an "R" endorsement. Try figuring out how to do that. While at the nearest DMV office registering a car I asked about it. Blank look, huddle with three other people, twenty minutes and I get a forty year old temp license form stamped with no expiration date and the phone number of the "brownies" (the officers that gave road tests used to have brown uniforms and got that tag). Last I knew you had to fill out some kind of form to take any test.

Florida on the other hand says:
Quote:
CDL Exemptions

The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:
  • Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes
SOURCE: Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Since we spend about half the year in each state it might be more simple to just get a Fl license. Leave it to NY to make it as complicated as possible.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote