Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Class A drivers license

Yesterday I went to an exhibition just outside Copenhagen, Denmark. At this exhibit someone was enlisting people to take their commercial bus driver drivers license and I got talking to them.

They would have me believe that the US is about to change the requirement for driving a Class A Rv on US roads. Shortly they will require something similar to a bus drivers license by all - this is the story I was told.

I can see the sense in this but at the same time I can see some major practical problems in this also. How many million people would all of a sutton be required to take driving lessons and a take a test to continue driving their RV's? How about all these "old times" who have been driving big RV's for years and for that reason do not need to be taught by anyone how to drive their vehicle.

Am I being told "porkies" here or can someone enlighten me with straight forward FACTS about the subject? If there is anything to this I will need to prepare my self well ahead of time.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's "porkies" or BS here in Texas. Licensing of vehicles and drivers for non commercial use is a state (not federal) thing. Good luck on getting all 50 to have the same requirements.
Why would the guy think a Danish class would suffice for a US requirement (if there was one)?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Nothing that I have heard of anywhere in the South. I know nothing like this in Georgia. Sounds like they want to sell something.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #4

KZ RV Club
I agree that it is a state not federal issue. And suppose a state decided to legislate that all RVers have a Class A license . . . they would have to grandfather in folks who have been driving for years. It sounds like more work and investment than a state would be willing to require. The California DMV can't even handle the work it currently has!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
laj

What would be a nice safety issue would be to require
everyone that drives a m/h to pass, and maintain a medical card
with the same requirements as a class A CDL
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is nothing for you to worry about - I suspect the exhibitor you were talking to has never even traveled to the USA. As I recall, you keep your Monaco here for extended stays, so just come on over and drive/explore to your hearts content. Being based/regestered in Texas you will be just fine because "No one messes with Texas".
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In California you need an "endorsement" on your regular license if you're driving a motorhome bigger than 40 feet. If you're driving a motorhome 45 feet or bigger you need a Non-Commercial Class B license. If you're pulling a trailer between 10K lbs and 15K lbs GVWR you need another "endorsement" on your regular license. If you're pulling a trailer larger than 15K lbs GVWR you need a Non-Commercial Class A license.

Probably 95% of the people in California with motorhomes and trailers ignore these requirements.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
It's "porkies" or BS here in Texas. Licensing of vehicles and drivers for non commercial use is a state (not federal) thing. Good luck on getting all 50 to have the same requirements.
Why would the guy think a Danish class would suffice for a US requirement (if there was one)?
Make sense - that would be an impossible task as a federal commitment.

Nevertheless - I have just signed up for a 5 week course getting a commercial bus drivers license. It is being subsidized by the state and will cost me $700. On top of this it will keep me out of trouble for the duration :-). Life is sweet!!!

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Each state has their own requirements for a drivers license. If you have the proper drivers license for the state that your coach is registered in you will be legal in all 50 states.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Nevertheless - I have just signed up for a 5 week course getting a commercial bus drivers license. It is being subsidized by the state and will cost me $700. On top of this it will keep me out of trouble for the duration :-). Life is sweet!!!
Sounds like RVing just isn't enough for someone...Greyhound Bus Lines, I hear they're hiring! Have fun with the course. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Henrick,

Where are you licensed now. Is it Denmark with an International License issued by an embassy? Or are you required to have a Texas drivers license because your vehicle is registered in that state? Inquiring mind wants to know.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When the federal Government decided many years ago to institute a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) they the Ferderal Government simply stated this is how it is going to be and this is when it will take effect by, and this is how you (each state) will run the program or face loss of your Federal Highway Funding. The states every last one of them simply instituted the program.

Up until that time many commercial drivers had more than their fair share of licenses from different states when you got too many points on one license they simply used another.

With the advent of the CDL the enforcement of the rules became more stringent and pretty well made it so it is only one license to one driver.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
each state has their own requirements for a drivers license. If you have the proper drivers license for the state that your coach is registered in you will be legal in all 50 states.

Jon
Exactly!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
There has been a push in BC Canada to have a licensing testing be done prior to allowing Europeans to fly to Calgary Alberta, head to the Canadreams RV rental location and pile their family into a huge rental unit and head west into BC.

The vast majority have no comprehension of the rules of the road and simply do not understand that a pullout is somewhere an RV pulls into to allow the miles of locals that the RV driver has strung out behind them not allowing them to pass on our narrow mountain roads.

These idiots feel there is nothing wrong to have their wife stand behind the units on a busy two lane highway (say in Cathedral Grove) and attempt to stop traffic so they can do an illegal "U" turn to go back the way they came. I whole hardheartedly support any attempt by the government to limit the users by making sure they're actually qualified to drive these units.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote