Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Class A insurance

Received my renewal for my 11 yr old class A gas. $1900 per year thats crazy! Needless to say I will be shopping for new insurance. I have no violations or accidents. Who has the best rates and coverage out there per your own experience.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We too were hit with a rate increase this year from our previous carrier of several years. We shopped around and found the best rate with our home and auto carrier for bundling.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

Just got my insurance from Geico, 1020 for a year 100/300/100 coverage
Old 11-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I signed up this year with Safeco. I had Nat'l Interstate but they stopped covering RVs.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #5

Your rates will be state specific as each has an independent insurance commission and therefore different underwriting guidelines. Even if we were in the same state, our rates would probably differ as we are different people with different scoring.

Contact an "independent" insurance agent and they will already have a great idea of where to start.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #6

Ouch, I am paying just under $600 on my 17 year old coach through Allstate, though mine did go up by about 10% this year for no apparent reason.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #7

I did just what “The Powells” said to do and contacted an independent insurance broker for a quote, actually I contacted two. They both came back with a quote from a company called Auto-Owners insurance.
Has anyone ever heard of Auto-Owners?
The rates they quoted were approx 1/2 what I’m paying now for my RV and about 1/3 less for my primary residence. I’ve done a fair bit of web searching on them and they have a lot of negative reviews...and then I googled State Farm, Geico, Nationwide, etc... same deal. It seems folks only rate insurance providers if they’re pissed about something? :

Here’s my issue, I’m concerned because the prices are a lot lower than every other insurance quote that I’ve done this last month. I learned a long time ago, you get what you pay for. The broker told me it’s because they don’t deal directly with customers, only through brokers. Sounds reasonable I guess.
Currently with Progressive for the rig and paying about $900 per year.
Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Sailor Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:44 AM   #8

I have heard their commercials on the radio, but that is about it. Your state insurance commissioner's office may have some type of feed back or ratings system.

As far as a price difference, make sure that it is a line by line equal comparison.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:56 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
Received my renewal for my 11 yr old class A gas. $1900 per year thats crazy! Needless to say I will be shopping for new insurance. I have no violations or accidents. Who has the best rates and coverage out there per your own experience.
I was in the insurance industry for 35 years.

I pay 800.00 a year for a 2016 year 35ft gas motorhome. I mention the info on my rig because there are so many variables that go into determining your rate.

1. The RV you own makes a big difference, they look at the original retail value of your RV.

2. The state and city your are registered in makes a huge difference.

3. The number of miles you say you will be driving, your age, your driving record and yes they use a consumer score.

All of these things make up a unique rate for each person. I retired from my agency about 3 years ago and at that time they were using about 150 factors about you to determine the rate. So comparing with another person about their rate wont help. Just get your quotes and decide for the price and service which one you will go with.

I am still with the company that I represented because when I was an adjuster and an agent for them, they treated me and my customers well.
Are they perfect, no, are they the best, I don't know, but I trust them.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:41 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
We carry liability only on our 1999 Southwind. We turn the insurance off when its in storage (6-8 months a year), cost a little less than $100 a year.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:57 AM   #11

Class A Insurance

I have Auto Owners insurance on my cars and home. No one has beat the price in Georgia, and afte hail storm, were great.I have Progressive on the motorhome. I do not have a complaint with the cost. When needed they were very helpful paid up. Sometimes you can save a dollar on the front end but pay on the back end. Good Luck, Hu
hbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #12

I have a 2014 Winnebago and have Allstate. I had house, cars, and motorhome. In September they tripled the house insurance so I switched that to another carrier. I just got my motorhome renewal which was $428. and went up to $600. something. I always thought it was cheap and it still seems cheap but a 50% increase!
Mark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
GEICO $825.00 for 6 months coverage for 2009 Class A, 2009 Class C, 2007 BMW 525 Xi and 2011 Ford Escape
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I was in the insurance industry for 35 years.

I pay 800.00 a year for a 2016 year 35ft gas motorhome. I mention the info on my rig because there are so many variables that go into determining your rate.

1. The RV you own makes a big difference, they look at the original retail value of your RV.

2. The state and city your are registered in makes a huge difference.

3. The number of miles you say you will be driving, your age, your driving record and yes they use a consumer score.

All of these things make up a unique rate for each person. I retired from my agency about 3 years ago and at that time they were using about 150 factors about you to determine the rate. So comparing with another person about their rate wont help. Just get your quotes and decide for the price and service which one you will go with.

I am still with the company that I represented because when I was an adjuster and an agent for them, they treated me and my customers well.
Are they perfect, no, are they the best, I don't know, but I trust them.

I will have to remember to hunt this one back down when the question comes up again.

Tags
class a, insurance