Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We pulled a 36' 5er for 12 years before getting the MH. We loved it and never thought we would want a MH. I used the F250 PSD in our business when not pulling the 5er.

Then we retired and wanted to do a lot of traveling around the country. We realized that a Class A MH would be a lot more convenient! I sold the F250, bought a small Nissan Frontier pickup to knock around town, and found a great deal on a 10-year 40' Monaco Windsor. We could not be happier with our decision!

Now we can stop along the way, eat lunch, poop, or whatever, without getting out in the rain, heat or cold!

What I'm saying is, think about how you will be using it before jumping in!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will reiterate what many have already said. If you're going to set in one place for long periods of time and do not mind driving a large pick up then the fifth wheel is for you. If you plan on traveling extensively get the motor home.

This Fall I parked behind a favorite cousin in Branson. We got there about the same time. It took me ten minutes to level the coach, hook up sewer, water, and electric.

It took him longer than that to just level the fifth wheel. Then he had to haul out the electric cord, hose, sewer, ect. All in all it took over half an hour.

The reality is that in a driving rain storm I can pull in with the genset running, level the coach, and settle in to watch TV without ever getting out in the rain. I've done it many times. Then when the weather moderates I can finish hooking up.

There are advantages for both.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #17

We traveled constantly full-time in a 33' 5th wheel for 8 years and a 40' motorhome for 8 years - including your beautiful Alaska. We stayed in the same types of places - public parks or boondocking on public lands. Both served the purpose of living in it. We were happy with both - equally with short drives & stays or long drives and long stays.

However, we absolutely hated driving the big truck around for siteseeing and groceries. We got a Jeep with the motorhome and enjoyed it immensely. It gave us unlimited backcountry excursions, lots of added fun with Jeep groups - new friends, was quiet and didn't scare the animals away as we drove quiet two-tracks and could go almost anywhere. So it's not only the RV you have to consider; it's how you will get around after you have parked the RV. We put a lot more miles on the everyday driving vehicle than we did with the RV.

New Horizons is a very heavy, extremely expensive RV. I would think you'd need a HDT to pull it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #18

Not sure where you got 265k for a 5th wheel? 70k for a tow rig is right but middle of the road 5rs are 65 to 80k and high quality ones are 120k. In that price range the class A will be an entry level unit.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Not sure where you got 265k for a 5th wheel? 70k for a tow rig is right but middle of the road 5rs are 65 to 80k and high quality ones are 120k. In that price range the class A will be an entry level unit.
All you need to do is look, ours optioned out was slightly more:

2019 New Horizons Majestic M40RL4S – New Horizons RV
Bgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgonzo View Post
All you need to do is look, ours optioned out was slightly more:

2019 New Horizons Majestic M40RL4S – New Horizons RV
If you are into that class of 5th wheel then you are certainly into the 600-750k range for a class A
Old 11-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #21

We pulled into a rest area and stopped next to a 5th wheel with it's hood open.He had an engine problem,found a supply house that had the part.Problem was he had no way to go 35 miles to get it.I disconnected my toad and gave him a ride.There is no one type fits all.As said before ,I do my sightseeing in a honda, not a dulley.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #22

8 years ago a 5er was best for us; in 2013 a MH became best for us due to age and abilities. We realized this during our trip to AK and back. We had to level the 5er each night then next morning store the leveling boards after hooking up; meanwhile watching the MH's park in their spot, push a button, and while it leveled itself they attached all the FHU stuff. After 60 days of that, 8 hrs sleep a night wasn't enough for me @70.
So, as previously replied, there is no right or wrong choice, it's all relevant.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a