Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 02:10 AM   #1

Class A or 5th wheeler?

Hello forum

I am a 40-year-old Swiss and would like to travel with a camper through the USA in the near future. We are talking about full-time camping over several years.

My girlfriend and I (without children) will live together in this mobile home and travel the country from east to west and north to south. This trip should take several years.

Is it better to buy a Class A Diesel Pusher or a 5th wheeler?
We would like to visit various places in the area and need a car. That would speak for a 5th wheeler. But in a Class A Diesel Pusher we have more to feel on holiday.

What is better? What are the differences? What can you recommend? What do we have to keep in mind?

Thank you very much for your help!
Michaijl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 02:20 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A 5th is good if going to stay in one place for extended time, as it's more effort to setup for camping and ready for travel. However you are then driving around in a large truck. Class A motorhome is easy to setup and ready for travel. You then tow a small car or maybe a Jeep to explore around in.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:58 AM   #3

Class A if you plan to drive often and move around each area of our country.

Rental cars, Uber, taxis, shuttle service, tour buses, friends, neighbors and family are all available for those times you want to stay somewhere for an extended period.

A lot of scenic areas are drivable with a 33- 35' (10.5 meters) class A.

For only two people, you really don't need a large class A -- if you are going to be doing a lot of traveling and exploring.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:02 AM   #4

Thank you so far for the first informations.

We found a good webpage (rvtrader.com) to look for a camper. But i havent found a good page to look for a Pick-up Truck. Does anybody now a good car page? used or new dosent matter.

cheers Michaijl
Old 08-15-2017, 07:24 AM   #5

There are a lot of differences in style of travel, the motorhome gives you instant access to the house area while on the road. Meaning you can pull off at a scenic overlook, walk back to the kitchen and have lunch with a view, and never have to step out of the vehicle. One of the big differences has already been mentioned, namely what kind of vehicle you will have to drive once you reach your destination, if you have a 5th wheel you will likely be driving a 1 ton class dual rear wheel pickup truck that is 23-25 feet long, with towing mirrors sticking out to make it 8+ feet wide and around 7 feet tall. With a Class A you can tow a much smaller and more maneuverable exploration vehicle, jeeps are popular, but so are any number of other small cars (Mini-Coopers, Honda CRV's ...)

I own a Ford F250 3/4 ton class single rear wheel crew cab pickup truck, and I can tell you even with it parking can be challenging in some places, particularly in cities, due to length, turn radius and even height (getting into parking garages), add the extra bulge of the dual rear wheels and these sorts of trucks tend to be both too wide and too long for many parking options, in fact they may not be allowed on some of the smaller local roads in some of the eastern states.

p.s. when shopping for used cars / trucks I have been using cargurus.com the last few years
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #6

Another question

Why do most of the 5th wheelers do not have a Dinette?

Most of them i saw ( i saw alot of them by rvtrader and youtube) have a table and chairs to sit/eat on.

in most of the Class A Motorhomes i saw Dinettes with comfortable seats.

Can anyone tell my why?

Thank you.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #7

Motorhomes are designed to use while traveling and trailers (5th and TT) are simply storage/transport units until set up at a camping spot. The last trailer I had you could not even access the bath or kitchen without deploying the slides. Motorhomes are designed for use while in motion. For that reason, they usually try to limit the amount of loose furniture in the house.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:03 AM   #8

Michaijl,
Going from a smaller class A to our now new 5th wheel,, for what you say, I'd vote for a DP Class A with a Toad, (smaller vehicle behind)... We like our 5vr, and I love my truck,,, but to do it over,,, I'd prefer a DP as the wifes car would be great to be towed.. But then I needed Wanted a new daily driver... As said,,, a motorhome has advantages,,, but so does a 5vr... Stay tuned, you'll get a LOT of good advice here,,, just sort through it to see what sticks...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The class A's come with dinettes also, seems most people prefer the table and chairs. As to the A or 5ver, with the 5ver you need a BIG powerful pickup and using it to tour
after parking the RV, with the A most prefer a small car or 4wheel drive to tour, some of the best are roads touring, that have a need for the 4x4. If fuel mileage is considered the majority of driving will be touring and the smaller car/SUV will have better fuel mileage. The A will be EZer to set up and park and most coming with a Generator are boondocking equipped without extra additions. Look at the "onioncart" or "wheeling" blogs for a look at both types of travel.

LEN
Old 08-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Are you looking for help driving? If you decide Class A, make sure your girlfriend is willing to drive it. I guess I'm assuming you're up for the Class A driving chores. We decided on a Class A because we didn't want a big pickup truck when not on vacation. However, my wife still hasn't driven our rig.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #11

I'll chime in and add that budget may play a major role in what direction you go.

Something like the new Newmar New Aire with a Jeep could be a nice combo if you can afford it. Smaller than other higher end DP so it can get in more areas yet a high level trim. (Just under 34ft and just 12ft 3in tall compared to others at 45ft that are around 13ft tall.)
(Wife and I have a 45ft coach and it's more than big enough for the two of us but when we add the dogs it shrinks a bit. )

If you need relative cheaper and want new then a 5th and big truck will be your direction.

Used, you can go any number of ways.

Anyhow think how you want to live and tour. Staying at a RV park and running around in a toad? Staying at National and State parks? Staying one place a longer time or moving a lot? Then you will probably also want to look at shower sizes, head room if tall, etc.

Think also about what you will be comfortable driving. Remember unlike what you may be used to most of the US does not have good public transportation and having a car is a must. As mentioned above a small toad is much easier to get around in once you get someplace than a large pickup.

There is not one correct answer for everyone as to what is best; however, there is a correct answer for everyone. There are a number of threads on this web site that cover pros and cons of 5th vs DP (or just class A).

Tom
Old 08-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #12

Many pros and cons but maintenance and repair costs can be eye-watering on a Class A and good luck even trying to find someone to do them while on the road. Also, if you're traveling for several years like you mentioned, check the cost of tire replacement on a Class A

I have a 5th wheel and a few months ago had a check engine light come on the truck. My wife did a quick Google search on her phone for the nearest Ram dealer. There was one 10 miles up the road and 1/4 mile off the Interstate (there are Ram-Ford-GM dealers everywhere). Pulled in, they checked and solved the problem within 15 minutes at no charge. Try to get a check engine light checked on a Class A while out on the road ...

Autotrader.com is a good source for trucks, new and used.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #13

Hello everyone

Thank you guys so far!
Many informations here for me

i'm a well trained Truck driver, so there will be no problem to drive big rig's in the US. my DW will also drive big 5th or Class A motorhomes, no worris about the sice (exept parking in citys...).

I will make a List now with pros and cons and on our next trip to the states we will check many vehicles by some RV Dealers. Maybe we can also testdrive some of them.

Witch Dealer can you guys perfer?
Witch Brands (5th and Class A)?

On our long US trip (several years) we will also stay in cold areas (Skiing)...

cheers

Michael
Old 08-23-2017, 03:58 AM   #14

Hello Forum

I have made some research and come now to the following options:

5th Wheel:
- I would like to pull it with a Ford F-250 (i think the F-350 ist to big for citys)
- 2 People shut live Full Time in it
- Has to have a big shower
- Front living or Front kitchen
- 35 - 38' long

Class A:
- Gas
- 2 People FT living floorplan
- About 35 - 38' long
- just one bath
- L-shape Sofa

Witch ones can you prefer to me?

We looked must of the famous brands allready, but maybe you guys know some smaller brands i dont know.

We like high quality, nice modern furniture (like The Black Diamond Series)

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

Michael

Tags
5th wheel, class a