Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #1

Class A Quality - In Your Opinion

Looking to purchase a used MH can be a bit daunting; especially if you're working toward buying your "last coach."

Our first (and current coach) is a 1999 Winne 37.5'. We bought it new and are finally in a position to upgrade. We want to do the same thing now as we did then: Skip over upgrading ever four or five years. We want this one to last us 10 to 15 years with little or no (?) major repairs. Wishful thinking? Maybe. But we are again looking to buy-right.

Therefore the question: In regard to the following three coaches :
A. 40' is the optimum length but 42' is definitely an option
B. 2006 to 2008
C. Pricing - prices are going down as we get through summer

1. Country Coach - Intrigue or Allure
2. Monaco - Dynasty
3. American - Heritage or Eagle

In your opinion - yes we all have them - how would you rate their quality; one against the other? Which one would you choose?

Yes I know "Drive them and pick the best one for you!!!" But I'm seeking the opinions of those who currently owners or have owned one or more of these coaches.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We are very happy with our Monaco Windsor! I'm not familiar with the other two.

We chose to go with the 40' because most (if not all) coaches longer than that have tag axles, which means four more tires to buy at time of replacement!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #3

Subscribed to this thread. Your choices are the same as ours, so responses will be valuable for us to consider in a few years.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would put American above Monaco IMO, not that there is anything wrong with Monaco.

Also, would suggest you raise your looking at year up to 2009 or 2010. It seemed that major changes took place in 2009 & 2010 as far as looks, interior components, TV's, etc.

Good Luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #5

Actually having a Taag axel coaach means having to purchase an additional Two tires.
Having said that looking to purchase a coach that is now already 6 to 8 years old and your thoughts of then keeping it another 10 to 15 years may be more than wishful thinking. I am not inferring that their are not RV's out there in that age group however you would more than likely be looking at some major maintenance issues. Starting from the chassis, engine, transmission, etc right on through the Coach ammenities like A/C , water heater, roof. etc. etc etc.Good luck in your search but You might begin with a newer year to begin that 10 to 15 year ownership.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #6

We bought two years ago with the same thought you have. Like you, we wanted to buy a used coach from a high end builder. We were also looking at the same years you are. Tag was at the top of our list, along with side radiator, and Aqua Hot. We have been very happy. Good luck shopping.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #7

We have a 2004, 40' Country Coach Allure, it has a tag axle which you should really consider, better handling, ride, carring capacity all good, down side 2 more tires to replace. I will take the tag axle. This has been and excellent coach very well built. When I look at new coaches I haven't found anything that is as well built as the Country Coach. Good luck in your search.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Tag has two more wheels to buy but it also means you have two more wheels to stop with when you have to slam on the brakes. Not to mention a Tag's other advantages.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
What I'd look for.....

There are plenty of high end units that would last another 10 years easily. Foretravel and Newell are 2 others I'd add to the list. There are many 90's vintage Foretravel's that have been factory refurbished and are still on the road. As far as mass produced, personally I'd stick the the higher end monaco's with the s-series chassis(semi-monocoque). Exec, Sig, or Dynasty. Newmar, American Coach, or CC's with spartan chassis would probably be a good choice as well. You'll want something built like a tank and built with quality materials to last the amount of time you're looking at.

Good luck and enjoy the search!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If you are staying in CA, I would not go over 40' and have to deal with restrictions and additional licensing requirements.

BTW, Foretravel would be my choice.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #11

2 yrs ago I bought a 06 Holiday Rambler Endeavor for a very good price but I wouldn't buy one again. Stick to a higher level. I wish I had a tag on a higher end rig.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
The American Heritage is not in the same price point as the other coaches you listed.

When we were looking, I drove everything you listed other than the Heritage. The Country Coach won hands down as far as fit and finish and handling. I probably bought the last 40 footer built without the tag but I am happy with it and after looking at newer coaches, I see no reason to get rid of it.

In the CC line, the best bang for the buck is either the Allure or Intrigue. Both have a huge CCW as compared to the others in the line.

On edit, I just read another poster who said that the CC has a Spartain chassis which is not true. The CC has the DynoMax chassis which was built in house by CC.

Now, if you are interested in a 40ft Dynasty, I have a friend that is selling a '07 for $110K, located in Birch Bay,WA
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Now, if you are interested in a 40ft Dynasty, I have a friend that is selling a '07 for $110K, located in Birch Bay,WA
I sent you a PM with contact info.

Thanks
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
I sent you a PM with contact info.

Thanks
Are you a dealer or private party?
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags