RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #1

Class A rear jacks wonít go up all the way

We have the HWH Computerized Leveling System on a Tiffin 2011 Allegro Bus and the rear jacks are very slow to raise and have to be convinced (long pipe leveraged up) to store completely the last 1 inch or 2.

I have hydraulic reservoir full per specs so whatís the problem? Any ideas?

rml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First...have you had them greased since this problem developed?

Old 05-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Clean the cyinders with WD40.

This is what HWH has to say about maintaining their jacks using WD40. http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml47149.pdf
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #4

My coach jacks act similar to what you describe. The front jacks retract faster than the rear and often (not always) the rear jack will stop a couple inches short of full up. What I do is extend the rear jacks slightly, then retract again and without fail the jack seats in the full up position. I performed every maintenance suggested by the manufacturer to no avail, so I continue to operate as I described. I wish you good luck with your problem
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Clean the cyinders with WD40.

This is what HWH has to say about maintaining their jacks using WD40. http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml47149.pdf

Tiffin techs say to use Boeshield T-9 which they spray liberally on Jacks, Steps, Slide Mechanisms and everything that moves or should move and doesnít. They say never use WD-40 as it leaves a film that attracts dust therefore costs the jacks. Iíve read the recommendation by HWH so Iíll disregard Tiffin and go with the manufacturer to see if that helps. I see they say if that didnít work then replace the springs but why would the fronts still work fine and not the backs with the same springs? Hmmmm!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
First...have you had them greased since this problem developed?

Greased???? Wasnít aware the had grease fittings. Have been spraying jack rod with Boeshield T-9 per Tiffin techs recommendations. This helped the first year or so but now still donít retract all the way without convincing the last inch or so.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My rears have grease fittings but fronts do not. Go figure.

Also I wipe all down with ATF occasionally.

Mike
Old 05-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
My rears have grease fittings but fronts do not. Go figure.

Mike

Iíll crawl under and look. Iíve always had the coach serviced in a diesel shop that does almost always Motorhomes and maybe they didnít know these had fittings. What rig do you have that had the fittings? What brand of jacks HWH?
Old 05-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well we've had this thing a long time and had to go out and see what brand of jacks I have. We have Power gear. Huh.

Mike
Old 05-30-2018, 10:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rml1998 View Post
Tiffin techs say to use Boeshield T-9 which they spray liberally on Jacks, Steps, Slide Mechanisms and everything that moves or should move and doesnít. They say never use WD-40 as it leaves a film that attracts dust therefore costs the jacks. Iíve read the recommendation by HWH so Iíll disregard Tiffin and go with the manufacturer to see if that helps. I see they say if that didnít work then replace the springs but why would the fronts still work fine and not the backs with the same springs? Hmmmm!
Are you sure the springs are the same? The rear jacks are usually heavier duty and require a beefier spring than the fronts. They look the same 30+ feet apart but they might not be. Check the HWH sticker on the jacks for the AP number then go to their web site, it will tell you what that jack is rated for and the spring required.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
LPS1 is a dry lube that does not attract dust. The dealer I bought my coach from said to use silicone spray after one of the front jacks didn't want to retract. I can't believe how much faster the jacks retract after using LPS1!
Old 06-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #12
Commercial Member

hwh says to use wd40 to clean the cylinders. hwh does not recommend any other product to clean the jacks. its your coach, and you can use whatever works for you. there are many lubes and cleaners that will work.

if the tiffin tech told you not to use wd40, he is wrong. hwh does recommend t9 to lube the rods if they are slow retracting. i have not used t9 to lube my cylinders. i have used it to lube my tow bar sliding parts.
i have found that if its not wiped off, it will accumulate dust and road grime. this is my personal experience. it is not an official hwh statement ,so please dont quote it as such.
when the jacks shut off, when retracting, how long does it take for them to come up?
if it takes more than six minutes, the control box has timed out.
most of the time, replacing the springs will not help the slow retracting problem.
it may, but usually the cylinder needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
send an email to Welcome to HWH Corporation. include name, address, phone number. also include vin number, brand and model of your coach. and a description of your problem. include model number off your jacks if yo can. request a RGA number to send your jacks in. this is a number for tracking your cylinder.
it takes around three weeks to get it back. the only price hwh will quote is for a reman cylinder, because they dont know what is wrong with your cylinder.
they will sell you a cylinder for reman price if yours cant be repaired.
all they charge for is repair parts and labor, which is usually much less than the cost of a reman cylinder. and you get a one year warranty.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #13

I also heard of spraying with transmission fluid since thatís what inside them. WD 40 is a great cleaner and degreaser.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #14

The warning about WD40 attracting dust really does not apply.

Spray the exposed cylinder with WD40 just before you retract. The liquid will let the cylinder retract easily, and the seal wipes the rod clean as it retracts.

At that point the rod is protected and you are good to go until next time.

Works much more easily than the 8' 2x4 I was using.

Tom

TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, jacks