Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Class A retirement

We dream of Retirement. It arrives sooner than we think.

Is the expression "RETIREMENT" out of date? I am not sure.

Retirement, it is a state of mind, a break from responsibility, a belief in easy living, it can be a release from authority. It can be the best thing for some people and it can be unpleasant to others. Some do not like the word retirement. Some like to use the words a new beginning or another chapter in life's adventure. Change of Life–style, what ever you call it, I like it so far. I have adjusted to not working and enjoy it.

I "retired"¯ March 31, 2005 after 42 years with the same small company. Pat, my wife "retired" eight years ago, 1998, after a career as a RN for 27 years.

We bought our Motorhome in 2003 and love traveling in it. Prior to 2000 I never even considered a motorhome a possibility in my life. And then thinking about retirement and what I would like to do, travel and see this beautiful country of ours, is when a motorhome came into mind. September 2003 Pat and I went to the campers show in Novi, Michigan and within three weeks we were the owners of a slightly used (almost new, ten months old) 2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M motorhome with 8,628 miles on it. My first experience driving a MH, drove it home to Michigan from Indiana 360 miles. Enjoyed it. Now we have a total of 29,000 mile to date.

We will keep our house, we have a great location on the water, where we can keep our boat on a hoist behind the house, life is good! We plan to keep our house, we shouldn't need the money from it. If we ever do, it is still one of the best investments for that amount of money. Also Pat loves her flowers and flower gardens around the house.

We are in southeast Michigan, north and east of Detroit about 42 miles. We are on a canal in a subdivision of canal lots. The canals are 120' wide in our "¯Venice of Michigan"¯ off the North Channel of the Saint Clair River just north of Lake Saint Clair.

I bought the lot in 1984, designed and built the house "on the land"¯ in 1985-86 moved in 1986. That was a dream and goal of mine to design and also build a house by myself since I was very young. Kind of a hobby of mine, building houses and additions on to many homes in the past. Thought I might continue building homes in retirement after working in industrial sales, however now I do not want to work that hard.

There are many wonders of God and Nature to take a look at and use our five senses, Sight, Sound, Smell, Touch and Taste to enjoy life. We need to use all of them while we can.

I realize that life's journey is taken a day at a time and while tomorrow may come, I can't afford to pass up this day and now for it. I will make every effort to be happy and treat others as I wish to be treated.

Pat and I don't consider ourselves campers we have a nice condo on wheels we move around this country to sleep in our own bed, shower and use our own bathroom when and wherever you are. Pat and I spent our first night at a Super Wal-Mart March 2004 in Lantana Florida. We were a little worried at first but Wal-Mart had security all night long. The next morning I said to Pat that her and I were officially Gypsy's. Since then we have stayed a dozen nights in route on our travels at Wal-Mart's in Tennessee, Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina.

You cannot beat the sightseeing from the height of your seats in a class A motorhome. We look forward to traveling our United States in the motorhome in Class A style.

Bob

A Retiree's nightmare: Working Dreams!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Class A retirement

We dream of Retirement. It arrives sooner than we think.

Is the expression "RETIREMENT" out of date? I am not sure.

Retirement, it is a state of mind, a break from responsibility, a belief in easy living, it can be a release from authority. It can be the best thing for some people and it can be unpleasant to others. Some do not like the word retirement. Some like to use the words a new beginning or another chapter in life's adventure. Change of Life–style, what ever you call it, I like it so far. I have adjusted to not working and enjoy it.

I "retired"¯ March 31, 2005 after 42 years with the same small company. Pat, my wife "retired" eight years ago, 1998, after a career as a RN for 27 years.

We bought our Motorhome in 2003 and love traveling in it. Prior to 2000 I never even considered a motorhome a possibility in my life. And then thinking about retirement and what I would like to do, travel and see this beautiful country of ours, is when a motorhome came into mind. September 2003 Pat and I went to the campers show in Novi, Michigan and within three weeks we were the owners of a slightly used (almost new, ten months old) 2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M motorhome with 8,628 miles on it. My first experience driving a MH, drove it home to Michigan from Indiana 360 miles. Enjoyed it. Now we have a total of 29,000 mile to date.

We will keep our house, we have a great location on the water, where we can keep our boat on a hoist behind the house, life is good! We plan to keep our house, we shouldn't need the money from it. If we ever do, it is still one of the best investments for that amount of money. Also Pat loves her flowers and flower gardens around the house.

We are in southeast Michigan, north and east of Detroit about 42 miles. We are on a canal in a subdivision of canal lots. The canals are 120' wide in our "¯Venice of Michigan"¯ off the North Channel of the Saint Clair River just north of Lake Saint Clair.

I bought the lot in 1984, designed and built the house "on the land"¯ in 1985-86 moved in 1986. That was a dream and goal of mine to design and also build a house by myself since I was very young. Kind of a hobby of mine, building houses and additions on to many homes in the past. Thought I might continue building homes in retirement after working in industrial sales, however now I do not want to work that hard.

There are many wonders of God and Nature to take a look at and use our five senses, Sight, Sound, Smell, Touch and Taste to enjoy life. We need to use all of them while we can.

I realize that life's journey is taken a day at a time and while tomorrow may come, I can't afford to pass up this day and now for it. I will make every effort to be happy and treat others as I wish to be treated.

Pat and I don't consider ourselves campers we have a nice condo on wheels we move around this country to sleep in our own bed, shower and use our own bathroom when and wherever you are. Pat and I spent our first night at a Super Wal-Mart March 2004 in Lantana Florida. We were a little worried at first but Wal-Mart had security all night long. The next morning I said to Pat that her and I were officially Gypsy's. Since then we have stayed a dozen nights in route on our travels at Wal-Mart's in Tennessee, Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina.

You cannot beat the sightseeing from the height of your seats in a class A motorhome. We look forward to traveling our United States in the motorhome in Class A style.

Bob

A Retiree's nightmare: Working Dreams!

Old 09-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #3

Bob & Pat,
Sounds like you found the perfect lifestyle. We also travel this country and love the views from the RV. Nothing wrong in keeping your house, it sounds great. The best of both worlds for you two.
Happy travels, and hope to see you on the road

2006 National Seabreeze
FloridaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #4

Bob & Pat, I'm with you..retirement is wonderful! We sold our business last September. A week or so later we bought our Gulf Stream Sun Voyager, although we had no intention or buying, rather just a curious look. We live in CT and have a home on Lake Champlain in VT. But we have traveled about 2 months during the past 11 months. Kids are in college. We do count our blessings. Enjoy!
Old 09-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #5

Rest easy, amigo, you got it right.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #6

I envy you both, you are living my dream. I hope to embark on my retirement next summer and do the same. Happy travels to you both.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
coolchas11 welcome to irv2 and thanks for joining in this post.

Bob&Pat enjoy your new found lifestyle and yes there is alot to see in this U.S.A. Just have twins to leave the nest than will be looking for you down the road.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome coolchas11 to the forum and thanks for your post.

We are blessed with four healthy adult children and their spouses, fourteen grandchildren ages 18 to 3 years old. Pat and I married in 1998, she became a Step Mother and Grandmother all at the same time and she loves it.

Thanks to all for the good wishes.

Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #9

yeah, that's right. But, I don't understand the term retirement. If I,m already tired, why do I want to "retire"? What I want is rest.?
future5ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
BLT

I'm going to start a new chapter in my life in about 5 more years, and that is what I like to
call it because I just might decide to earn money while on the road so I guess that would not be called retirement then right?? However you want to look at it I will be doing something totally out of the norm, and that sounds like alot of fun.. can't wait see ya on the road..

BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #11

Bob and Pat,

Congratulations! We also hope to be on our way in another year or so and plan to arrange our "retirement" in similar fashion. We want to keep our house too, for now. My wife has a simlar love for her gardens and flowers and doesn't want to give them up. So far I believe her when she says we can keep it and the motorhome we recenty bought maintained :-) !

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:59 AM   #12

Good for You enjoy the life You have.We are trying to find a class A at this time just so much money to buy so We are trying to find a great deal.And when We find it on the road We will also go..Good luck We are just a few miles across from You in Wallaceburg Ont..See You John
Old 09-09-2006, 02:44 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
John, we have visited Wallaceburg Ont several times by boat and stayed a couple of nights each time between 1988 – 1995 tied up along the river seawall. Very nice town to visit.

This was our boat at the time, a 34' Tollycraft, gas mileage wasn't too good about 5/8 of a mile per gallon, that is about 1¾ gallons per mile. But it did carry 300 gallons of gas in the tanks. So the motorhome gas mileage at 7½ miles per gallon is about 12 times better.

The photo was taken by our neighbor down the canal on our way out in 1989 I believe. Not sure but we may have been headed to Wallaceburg at that time? That is my daughter standing on the bow, I am on the bridge. We now have a 24' boat that is much better on gas.

Hope you find your class A and get a great deal.

You cannot beat the sightseeing from the height of your seats in a class A motorhome.

Bob
Old 09-10-2006, 02:42 AM   #14

Hi again Nice Boat WE are right on the river next to the bridge across the road from the Legion same as V.F.W.in Mich.You and Your wife I am sure must remember that place as Mostboater go for suds and a meal during a stay here.I sure would not want a big boat to-day with gas at the prices it is now.Take care John